What really buggers you in LOS?

limbo

Idiot farangs who say I should not complain about anything here. I thing those smug gits should all be packed onto a slow boat to Antarctica and to hell with them.

(Incidentally, am I the only farang who finds dealing with Immigration a delight? I get nothing but courteous and quick service from the officials on my annual trips to the Immigration office in Bangkok to renew my visa.)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loud music piped everywhere, bars, restaurants, stores, you name it. Makes it hard to carry on a conversation anytime.

The Thais seem to adapt well and can carry on phone conversations with music pumping out at 80 or more decibels.

I wonder if farangs living in Thailand for an extended period of time improve their ability to converse against the noise background.

[color:"red"] 2. Every vendor, stall, shop, wants you to give them smaller bills. I usually run out of usable currency before I run out of money. It is at the worst when with my GF. If the bill somewhere is 600 baht, I pay with a 1000. She sees I have correct change and tells me to pay with that. At that point the cashier ain't gonna take the 1000. Next stop is a Wat. Can't buy candles/incense/flowers...Cause all I got left is 1000s!!! On the way home need some noodles or som tam. But NO! Cause all I got left is 1000s and GF gave all her change at the Wat!!! Now she understands why I don't give up all my small bills FOR ABOUT 1 DAY! At the market tomorrow we will repeat the process. The only person not asking for smaller bills is the begger. [/color]

Rovineye,

I run into this problem to some degree in Thailand, but it was worse when I was in China a few years back. Some parts of the country seem to have a chronic shortage of smaller denomination currency. Seems to me this is due to the incompetence of the central bank in monitoring the currency in circulation.

Anyway, as much as it is a hassle, you simply have to be more aware about what denomination you use at what place to pay for something. I always use 1,000 Baht notes to pay for anything at a supermarket, Tesco Lotus, or anywhere else that I know will have lots of small change in the till. I always try to build up and keep a good supply of 100s and 20s in my pocket. Also, at the FX booth, you can ask for 500s instead of 1,000 notes - most of the time they will comply with this.

Harlequin

HBKK,

I gues the point Rovineye is trying to make is that his GF doesn't seem to follow that logic, only as long as today, tomorrow she forgets about again, and when rovineye wants to pay with bigger notes she will jump in and tell him he has correct change.

I have excatly the same problem with my wife.

HBKK, at least that how I inteprete Rovineye's post. I think he wants to pay with big notes at places where they will have change, it's the GF that doesn't get the concept.

Cheers,

Limbo

Exactly limbo!

When I am not traveling with her I never have the problem. The ATM withdrawls are always 9900 baht, and supermarkets and go-gos get the 1000s (some times lots of em!) If I really need change I go to Eden. The bill never comes out exactly in 1000 increments :hubba:

"Every vendor, stall, shop, wants you to give them smaller bills."

I think everyone in Thailand who is not destitute must have this problem. The trick, as I'm sure you know, is to make change whenever possible, w/o "taking advantage" of small vendors. Forget taxi's they never have change. ::

Whenever I pay for anything in a place that is doing a brisk business I hand them a 1000 Baht note. Usually not a problem and I always seem to have enough small bills.

The overly helpful g/f is another matter. :)

Says Siam Sam:

(Incidentally, am I the only farang who finds dealing with Immigration a delight? I get nothing but courteous and quick service from the officials on my annual trips to the Immigration office in Bangkok to renew my visa.)

You're not alone, include me in that list too. I never have any problems dealing with Pattaya Immigration.

Archived