Prediction of Mar 1 outcome regarding closing time

Belem

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chicken flu and closing time.

OK, this is a kind of shot in the dark, but I would predict that since LOS is hit by the chicken flu crisis with stock markets going down, ten thousands of jobs at stake, the risk of poor farmer going bankrupt and the government accused of hiding the facts, that Mr. T. won't do anything which could have an additional bad affect on Thai economy - i.e. closing most entertainment venues at early hours.

And the national crisis could be the excuse the bury the problem silently.

BKK POST 29th Jan. 2004

Pattaya mayor wants nightlife plan review

Pattaya mayor has urged a review of Interior Ministry plans to close nightspots from midnight.

Speaking at a gathering of 100 beerbar operators, he said Pattaya would lose tourist income if the proposal came into effect.

He would call a meeting with business operators and send a report to cabinet. "We can't sit and do nothing. This proposal is the work of lunatics with no common sense. It will destroy the tourism industry", he said.......

This is the very first time in my life (and undoubtedly the last) that I hear a Thai speaking of common sense. :grinyes:

If Thaksin wants a model of what could potentially happen to tourism if nightspots were to close down due to draconian measures, he should look at what happened in Manila in 1989 when the mayor closed down the Mabini and Del Pillar nightlife districts. Manila hasn't been the same since. :down:

This article in Pattayamail is quite descriptive about what may be the future of Thai Nightlife or what will be left of it, if these rules take effect.

http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd2

Closing hours being increased, along with heavy regulation, will slowly strangle the nightlife down to a much smaller and more expensive activity, I would think.

Archived