what is the ultimate first date in bangkok...need suggestions.

junglesoup

Sounds like you might be trying to think too mutt. Sometimes the girls appreciate simple stuff more than trying to go all out to impress.

Last date I had was a nice dinner at some thai place of her choosing and then up to the revolving floor of Baiyoke 2 to check out the city lights. Had a few drinks in the lounge there and then moved on.

Nothing super impressive, but she had a good time, and that's all that really matters right?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, thats food for thought...I can see what you guys are saying about going into overkill. I ll have to think about that. We both discussed that we should do something pretty cool the first time we meet...hence I thought posh hotel and all that. She seems quite up for the idea of the Oriental. I might add that the Oriental is only a place to sleep,lol,but diner and a few bars around Bangkok will be visited before that.She loves music, alternative stuff,blues,indie,etc, loves food,likes a good laugh,and she likes beer. So it should nt be too hard to have a goodnight, as I like the same.

Thanks again.

...She loves music, alternative stuff,blues,indie,etc, loves food,likes a good laugh,and she likes beer...

Tokyo Joe's is always good for that kind of thing. Thai and Japanese food. Decent music. Great staff. My date nights here usually run about B1200-1500 for all we wanted to eat and drink for about a three hour stay.

Not "ultimate" by any means, but always a good night out.

Cheers,

SD

She loves music, alternative stuff,blues,indie,etc, loves food,likes a good laugh,and she likes beer.

Try Phra Athit Road (just near Khao San).

A very cool and hip street now - lots of arty little cafes, live alternative music - Thai folk, easy-listening, "solo guitarist/vocalist" playing while you eat. Very Thai - not many farangs there at all.

I personally recommend "Hemlock" as a great little restaurant. Thai food, but with a little bit of a twist. Lovely little eatery and a really nice ambiance in there. You could eat in there for two for 800-1000 baht EASILY.

There's also some pretty cool (non-backpacker) venues around Khao San these days - The Club, The Cave, Lava to name a few if she wants to crank it up a bit and have a boogie.

Molly Pub in Soi Rambuttri is a cool hangout, but gets very crowded. And if she's into hiphop and wants to dance, head to Susie Pub, just off Rambuttri - again very crowded, but a good time can be had in there.

There's also some nice restaurants and cafes along Sala Daeng Road off Silom.

Finally, if you really want to get a reaction, take her to Tilac Bar and order food in from Sam's 2000! :D

Not being a "kee-neeow" (tight arse) but you don't have to spend lavish amounts of cash to show a girl a good time in Bangkok. Put some thought into it, choose somewhere that makes you look like you know a bit about the place, go for atmosphere rather than expense to impress her (unless she's overly hi-so) and go for it! :thumbup:

I can't remember Mahanaga being that expensive. It was 2 years ago and I didn't go overboard with drinks - maybe that's the key. One or two courses, a few drinks, that was enough.

The girl was impressed by the romantic courtyard setting (has to be evening btw). This was one particularly difficult girl and she'd been bitching because we'd been walking for 5 minutes up Soi 23 with me trying to find a particular restaurant. Eventually I said, "fuck it" and got a taxi to Mahanaga instead. Still bitch, bitch, whine all the way. Arrived at Mahanaga, went through house into courtyard and she IMMEDIATELY shut up. I've never seen such a transformation. Mood completely turned to simpering "you're so romantic, etc, etc" :o:)

As an example of too uncomfortably posh/unfamiliar, I'd cite Giusto's on Soi 23.

She liked Le Dalat on Soi 23. Relatively expensive but nice setting and food. Friendly.

This was a girl who wanted to be seen as more "hiso" though. Other girls seem just as happy in more humble/friendly surroundings.

Junglesoup, from what you've said about her and knowing your age, it seems almost too obvious to suggest RCA or Ratchada Soi4/6. How about it? :dunno:

Certainly some great suggestions, thanks a million. Tokyo Joes sounds like it could be fun. Moo Noi, I also like the sound of those places you mentioned. After all I want somewhere where I can have a chat, and the music isnt too loud.

Old Hippie, She knows about me and my medical condition.She mentioned again lastnight actually that she would go to see the doc with me anytime I need to. She seems cool about the whole thing :)

I would nt say she is a high so girl. she is quite arty, into foreign cinema and stuff like that. She comes across as pretty unpretentious.

Cheers everyone.

She liked Le Dalat on Soi 23. Relatively expensive but nice sting and food. Friendly.

This was a girl who wanted to be seen as more "hiso" though. Other girls seem just as happy in more humble/friendly surroundings.

As it was said before it really depends on the girl. A few years ago I went to Le Dalat with an girl fresh from Isaarn and she felt very unconfortamble in the environment. This dinner didn't work at all.

:(

Archived