Mekong ........Food?

sidsanuk

Guys,

I was reading the history of the main Thai drinks companies recently and read a bit about Mekong, how it is really a rum and a common drink UPC.

I have never drunk it and nor has my wife. Last trip we grabbed a bottle to bring back with us as I thought it might make an interesting change / novelty at home (for me not her).

Can anyone advise me how and when it is normally drunk. Yeh Yeh, OK. I can hear it now.

"Whilst lying face up in the gutter". (at room temperature)

Serious question. Is it generally in the place of beer on a night out. With meals? What is it normally mixed with? With ice?

Just curious to try the authentic use / mix...

my advice is to only drink it when you run out off other booze.... and be sure you never run out of other booze.

a friend of mine bought be some once a long time ago, and unfortunately I ran out of other booze too much, so I ended up finishing it.

i just hear it has some nasty chemicals in it.

We fairly regularly go to various Thai outdoor restaurants, particularly in the Narathiwas/Rachada area. Many, if not most, of the groups have some sort of whisky being served. On rare occasions I will see a group drinking it. Seems they mostly go for blended whiskey of various brands/price.

I think it is generally either straight with water on the side, or on ice, mixed with soda or water, just like the other whiskeys.

TH

Archived