Football Season 2011-2012

sayjann

Well that's the EPL over for another season. :soccer:

Thankfully Arsenal scraped a win at WBA to guarantee CL football next season. :relieved::yay:

Hopefully they will make some early improvements to the squad this summer (Podolski already on board), get rid of the rubbish and hold onto RVP, although deep down I can't see him staying. :sad:

I am now routing for Chelski to beat Bayern and deny CL football for The Scum. :rotfl:

Commiserations to Man U. :applause:

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They would be hard pressed to go to the Emirates and winning the title. The "Council House" has been rebranded as Etihad Stadium which is ironic, Etihad is the Arabic word for UNITED (as in United Arab Emirates) so Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan has a sense of humour.

The Fat Lady aint singing yet but she has cleared her throat.

Just got back from the United stadium.Such a great ending to the 2012 season .

Just got back from the United stadium.Such a great ending to the 2012 season .

i'm still dumbstruck after the events of today.

expected City to take the title but events were heart in mouth stuff.

with 10 minutes to go i was biting my nails off as i knew City had to score twice,did i think it would happen?.

even when it became 2-2 i was still pacing the room as Utd were Champions elect and then came the bad news.... :banghead::cussing::angry::yikes::nono::down::mad::(

i know i support the Reds but credit to them for taking it to the wire.

this is a team considered a poor team compared to others in the past,but they knuckled down at times but lost the momentum in the last few games and just lost too many points and that made the difference.

i'm disappointed because the title was lost in the last minute of the season,but both teams could and should have wrapped up the title way before the last game.

congrats to Arsenal for getting into the CL next season.

a bad start to the season but they crept under the radar for quite a while.

but i would still like to see Spurs in the CL.

i think i will get shouted down when i say i hope Bayern Munich win the CL.

i'm not one of those people who want to see all the English teams do well in European games.

i don't suddenly change my support of a team when it suits me.

i'm a neutral when it comes to the CL Final but i will have a soft spot for the Germans and might even go a find a couple of German beers to sup while i watch the game.

thrilling end to the season. The City won it, eerily similar to how Man Utd won the CL in '99. Although City won it, I have absolutely no respecdt for them. The title was bought in a way that has never been done before, similar to Chelsea but far more ominous. If you provide enough money, ANY team can win the title. The time it takes just depends on where you're starting from. Chelsea were already a top 5 side when Roman bought them. City fans won't care and the newspapers don't seem to want to address it but its there for everyone to see it. At least Man Utd earned their money in the '90s. No once will agree but I think Man City underperformed the last couple seasons and had the EPL had its usual quality they wouldn't have won it. I don't think Mancini is doing a good job frankly. Unlimited funds. You can buy whomever if they'll come. They have by far the best squad in terms of talent but they are mercenaries. They couldn't get top players to come 4 years ago but they can now. I don't expect anyone save Chelsea to be able to compete with them. Man Utd can only spend so much due their own financial limitations. So, for me, not one iota of respect for City's title. There has always been a punishment for bad financial management in football. (Leeds for example). Chelsea and City have none. Nothing particular significant about spending a billion pounds and winning a title. Where's the sport in that? Anyone saying you have to win it on the pitch is talking out their Arsenal. If I buy the world's best XI players I will win the title. Maybe not the first time but I will. If teams in the past (Inter, Leeds, etc.) are used as an example I will counter that had they been able to sustain buying they'd have certainly won. Chelsea and City can keep the money flowing. Roman decided not to spend as much while City did. The new financial rules may help but I suspect clubs like City will find a way around them.

Yeah, it was a bad Man Utd team but it was a bad league. Surprised an EPL team made it to the CL final. I'm cheering for Bayern Munich. Sperz have been in the CL before. Not bothered by it too much. I don't like it but not bothered. Don't want Chelsea for a few reasons. One of them is they are still a merceneary bought team, 2nd is don't want a London club to win the CL other than Arsenal, 3rd, I'd get a treat NOT seeing them in the CL next season. It would serve Roman justly to deny him a CL.

Everton is a tough place if they are up for it but surprsied Newcastle didn't do more in the game. Wasn't close. Glad Liverpool are crap. I used to like them. However, I thought Daglish and the club handled the Suarez racial taunting thing completely wrong. For me, they baically looked the other way because it was a Liverpool player. Sad for a club that once had John Barnes in a time where it was difficult to be a black player.

Arsenal didn't make it easy for themselves and frankly, no one, including most gooners if they are honest, saw us at 3rd or even CL. It was a great feat but self induced. Podolski is arriving and M'Villa at DM, those two with Wilshere back and if RvP stays will be a good start but I don't expect much. Pat Rice is retiring and Steve Bould replacing him as assistant manager is my pick for next manager but I don't see Bould having much influence. Wenger is somewhat autocratic. He needs to go. The end to the season changes nothiing for me.

What an eventful 2 hours - especially for the neutral.

The Man City - QPR game was great entertainment - would have been only better if QPR would have been relegated when they lost the game!

Still don't believe that City came back.

Oh - Joey Barton - will he ever plan another EPL game again?

thrilling end to the season. The City won it, eerily similar to how Man Utd won the CL in '99. Although City won it, I have absolutely no respecdt for them.

I tent to disagree with your opinion that it was similar to "That night it "Barcelona 99" Back then United were head to head with the team in a winner takes all game whereas Citeh were up against a relegation threatened team. It came as no surprise that QPR switched off and allowed Citeh to score the 2 goals required to win the league once the Bolton result came through, QPR knew they were safe for another season and just stopped playing.

Even though I am gutted we got so close, Uniteds performances in Europe this season have shown just how far the EPL has dropped behind other major European leagues and hopefully this will allow a major overhaul of the team, we need a left back Evera is still good going forward but has forgotten how to defend, a right back, Rafael is just too much of a liability, three midfielders and another striker , anything less than 100 Million in the transfer market this summer and United will fall behind.

I will be cheering for Bayern next weekend

What an eventful 2 hours - especially for the neutral.

The Man City - QPR game was great entertainment - would have been only better if QPR would have been relegated when they lost the game!

Still don't believe that City came back.

Oh - Joey Barton - will he ever plan another EPL game again?

I for one wouldn't shed a single tear of Barton will be banned for ever playing professional football again. What an idiot, he displays everything a role model shouldn't be doing. Can't believe he was considered by the Arsenal.

2 goals in extra time, both games. Yeah, 2 different opponents in quality but if someone told me after the fact that they thought Man City would score two goals in extra time I'd call them a liar. lol. Maybe an equalizer...and thats a big maybe but two goals? Nah. Same in both games, although I can understand why a Man utd fan wouldn't see that there were far, far more similarities than differences.

Arsenal '89 with an improbable 2-0 win and Blackburn in '95 was it, anyway last game of the season waiting on results? were as nailbiting. Others?

Arsenal 89 was the closest in my living memory, equal on goal difference with Liverpool but won it due to the fact they had scored one more goal, Michael Thomas in 92nd minute or something.

In premier league history you are correct with 94/95 season, Blackburn headed into last day on 89 Points away to Liverpool and United on 87 Points away to West ham (it was a 42 game season back then) Liverpool beat Blackburn but united could only manage a draw at West Ham so lost the title by one point.

No other titles have been decided on the last day during premier league era.

Archived