Soi 10 Beer Bars are no more

farangman

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could simply laugh off both matters: the Thai embassy official who gave the brilliant account of his swim-for-life was too precious for words. Unfortunately, a man was bludgeoned to death in the Bangkok lockup over his role in the Soi 10 affair.

No one quite seems to know if it was the prisoners or the guards who did him. As almost all civilian deaths result in police autopsies, I doubt there's going to be much information forthcoming. We must speculate that the deceased had something to say to say to someone, and another someone didn't want it said.

I can't support the notion that these two incidents aren't related. The timing is too curious and the delay between publication of the alleged comments and the onset of unrest is too long.

Without firm proof which certainly will not be forthcoming there's no way to know. It's interesting that the finger of blame in Cambodia is now being pointed at "motorcycle gangs" for beginning the attack on the Embassy. Are they just a convenient scapegoat? Or were they acting in a paid paramilitary capacity? It's hard to imagine Khmer scooter-trash as a wellspring of autonomous nationalist fervor.

Consider also what was burned in Cambodia and what was not. Some of the losses were symbolic such as the Embassy, but the rest were for the most part very well-chosen economic targets. Shinawatra Cambodia burned but the Thai banks went unscathed. I have to think there's a pattern to most of the damage.

Dear cardinalblue,

I remember this TV documentary on extra-terrestrial life.

One scientist lit a match.

15 secs later its light extinguished.

"That was planet Earth" he said.

At that level, 10 billion human beings? Who cares about what happened soi 10 or WTC sept 11 or Hittler and friends?

Todays BKK Post online

NIGHTSTRIP DEMOLITION

Arrested suspect `beaten to death'

Body and genitals covered in bruises

Manop Thip-osod

A suspect in the Jan 26 mob demolition of Sukhumvit Square who died mysteriously in prison on Wednesday, was assaulted to death, an autopsy has found.

Chan Kimnguluem has asked the Justice Ministry to look into the death of her son, Niran Prommala, 30, who was found dead with bruises and other signs of abuse in Bangkok Special Prison on Wednesday.

Mrs Chan also said her son, one of 128 suspects arrested in the case, did not commit any crime and was just a bystander.

Pol Maj-Gen Vichit Smathiwat, commander of the Forensic Science Institute, said an autopsy by forensic experts at Bangkok Special Prison showed Niran had bruises from heavy blows all over his body and that he died from bleeding of the brain and head injuries.

It was the duty of police investigators to find out who assaulted Niran and what weapon was used, he said.

Niran's body was yesterday taken from the institute to a temple by his mother, his wife Kornkamon Thongkhamen and his sister Urai Kimnguluem.

All three burst into tears when they saw the body covered in bruises.

Mrs Chan said she was stunned to see that her son's body and even genitals had bruises, so she would seek justice for her son who died shortly after being locked up.

She had repeatedly been refused entry by prison staff to visit her son. When finally she was allowed inside she did not see him because there were so many prisoners, she said.

``He was admitted to Phra Mongkutklao hospital two years ago for a mental disease, but he recovered. After the arrest, I saw him have mental problems again when at a police station.

``I told warders that he was sick when he was sent to jail for fear that they would think he pretended to be ill. How could he be hurt,'' she asked.

She called on Bangkok Special Prison to explain exactly why her son _ who had been in good health before going to jail _ had died.

Mrs Kornkamon said she believed her husband was innocent, but no witnesses would dare say what had happened to him because they feared they would end up like he did.

Some cellmates in the prison had seen Niran suffering slight mental problems due to the stress, she said.

She found it impossible to believe her husband had died from illness when his body was covered in bruises.

Meanwhile, Lt-Col Himalai Phiewphan and Maj Thanyathep Thamthep _ wanted for their alleged involvement in the Sukhumvit Square raid _ have not yet surrendered to or contacted Lumpini police.

Wow! You respond like a true upstart.

Says cardinalblue:

My post was strictly a reactionary post based on his accusatory tone and unfounded remarks. Please note i did phrase much of it in questions and suggestions giving him the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to engage in constructive dialogue. I just wanted to see if he was just another talker or a person of action.

Cardinalblue

Huh?

I guess cheap retorts come easy yet I'll refrain :-)

I love your well-balanced justification, voiced in this wise and worldly wording. You inspire me to no end.

Have a pleasant day. I hope the good weather lastS through February.......

*sigh*

To keep track of the of the aftermath of the demolition: Now there seems to be a power struggle under way between military and police who is to blame.

Bangkok Post Feb. 3

NIGHTSTRIP DEMOLITION

Soldiers take shelter in military barracks

Preparing defence ahead of surrender

Wassana Nanuam

Lt-Col Himalai Phewphan and Maj Thanyathep Thammathorn have taken shelter in military barracks as they prepare to defend themselves against charges they took part in the demolition of Sukhumvit Square.

A source said Lt-Col Himalai's superior, Gen Ruengroj Mahasranont, chief of the Armed Force Development Command, had told judge advocate-general officers to contact Lumphini police and acknowledge the charge against Lt-Col Himalai.

Lt-Col Himalai and Maj Thanyathep are accused of trespassing and causing damage to private property. Warrants are out for their arrest but the two officers said police had side-stepped procedure and should have issued a summons warrant first.

Lt-Col Himalai believes that a report he and Maj Thanyathep presented to Gen Ruengroj accusing the 191 special police squad of demolishing the nightstrip might explain the police ``vendetta''.

The source said judge advocate-general officers were expected to hand Lt-Col Himalai over to police this week as the deadline for surrender was set for today.

However, a source said Lt-Col Himalai was not yet ready to turn himself in. He had asked for more time to collect evidence for his defence.

Under a revised Prime Minister's Office order, officers may give themselves reasonable time to prepare a defence before surrendering.

The source said Maj Thanyathep, of the Army Reserve Department, was also arranging with police to surrender some time this week.

Lt-Col Himalai and Maj Thanyathep are staying in military barracks in Bangkok. Military premises are normally off-limits to police.

Lt-Col Himalai said he was mounting a legal defence and insisted he would not flee.

He had been conned into providing security guards at Sukhumvit Square, he said.

Lt-Col Himalai advises Ideal Service Corporation, the firm that supplied guards on Jan 26, the night of the raid. He said the guards were called in after the site had been demolished.

He would sue the firm which hired his guards, Nickel Co, for damaging his firm's reputation. Nickel subleased the square from Sukhumvit Silver Stars, the landowner.

Lt-Col Himalai said Maj Thanyathep had witnessed the raid, allegedly carried out by anti-riot police who brought in a demolition team and heavy machinery.

A general who declined to be named said the scale of destruction was too large for any one party, or even the military, to undertake alone, and police must have been involved.

The 191 police squad said on Saturday they would take Lt-Col Himalai and Maj Thanyathep to court for defaming them. Army chief Gen Somdhat Attanant said Maj Thanyathep had presented his account of the incident to an army inquiry team. The army would leave the criminal investigation to police and would not protect anyone who was in the wrong.

Archived