Soi 10 Beer Bars are no more

farangman

[color:"blue"]However, a source said Lt-Col Himalai was not yet ready to turn himself in. He had asked for more time to collect evidence for his defence. Under a revised Prime Minister's Office order, officers may give themselves reasonable time to prepare a defence before surrendering. The source said Maj Thanyathep, of the Army Reserve Department, was also arranging with police to surrender some time this week.[/color]

Here's some lines I don't understand. In other countries the police force try to snatch suspects as soon as possible. One of the reasons: Not to give suspects time to sabotage the the investigation. -- But in Thailand? ::

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...They did'nt know it was coming..."

I am good friends with the niece of one of the well know bar owners there. She said they had no idea it was comming, yet she felt some did, given the large number of bars that were up for lease and or sale. Given all the leasing and sub leasing, this is going to be a real mess determining who gets what in terms of compensation...

On the way to Cowboy from the Nanapong dance last night I noticed that outside the concrete barriers enclising Sukhimwit Plaza there were the startings of some street cafes ( trolley, plastic tables and chairs ) staffed by some of the ex bgs ! 60b a beer etc

How long will they last I wonder?

The icafe on the corner has relocated to the back of a travel agents on Soi 4 opposite the new 7 -11 ( and increased its prices to 1.5B per min from 1B but its still the cheapest on the soi )

Seems like business is doing its best to evolve and adapt and overcome.

[color:"red"]those are members of the army and not normal civilians!

also in other countries, police has limited legal power over members of the army, but probably the collaboration between army and police works better in such cases! [/color]

I assume this is a matter of jurisdiction. It is like when the crime occurs in one province/state, and the suspect flees to another one. The police in the first jurisdiction request the police in the second one to arrest the suspect and extradite him. In this case of the Lt. Col., it would be the Thai military police who would arrest him and turn him over to the civilian police.

But as you say, this system requires good collabaration between the different police forces. As I understand it, there is little love lost between the military and the Thai police.

Harlequin

Rumour has it that a few minutes before the shock troops deployed to Soi 10 - specifically, about 15 minutes before 4:00 am on 26 January, a special detachment of shock troops paid a visit to the Lumpini Police Station, with automatic weapons locked, loaded, and pointed at the desk staff, motivating them to issue a message to their comrades out on the street to not interfere with some unusual event about to unfold at lower Sukhumvit.

I was sound asleep, and know not if this story is true, but I have heard several unrelated stories that point toward it being roughly true.

This would suggest that the relationship between these particular shock troops and the Lumpini Police was at less than love-fest level.

I also understand that a substantial number of Lumpini police staff had personal investments in bars at Soi 10, and were not "in the know" about imminently impending doom - at least not that particular night.

I openly announce that the comments above are third-hand only,so I can't substantiate any of them.

"Let the good times roll!"

The Fighting Fish

Says jjsushi:

Is it me or does it seem as if Mr. Gary LaMoshi is writing a book report rather than a serious international journalistic piece? I thought it was something a 12 year old could have wrote. No depth, no edge, no true opinion.

After reading some of the drivel in your recent posts, I think it compares quite favorably. ;)

Says Boo Radley:

Says jjsushi:

Is it me or does it seem as if Mr. Gary LaMoshi is writing a book report rather than a serious international journalistic piece? I thought it was something a 12 year old could have wrote. No depth, no edge, no true opinion.

After reading some of the drivel in your recent posts, I think it compares quite favorably.
;)

:applause:

Mr LaMoshi I presume?

BTW- I may lack depth and have a blunt edge but I ALWAYS HAVE AN OPINION!

Be nice and I will help you write your next book report. :p

Good day Mr. LaMoshi!

:applause:

Archived