How do I tell my family........

Says Redbaron:

BB,

I simply reply, "I certainly hope she's no hooker, I paid for a VIRGIN!" That usually shuts them up.

:grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes:

I like that a lot.

Permisson to use it if ness?

Flyer :beer::grinyes:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 'cold honesty & truth' concept has truly taken on scary proportions among Westerners.

------------------------

I think we are confusing the topic. We had a thread before, I think, called "should i tell....", which was the perfect place to argue "you don't have...". this one is about "how to....". I mean, it's all hypothesis. It's only after years of traveling to LOS, that I casually told my parents about a few things concerning girls I had met. they never asked.

I had a 90 YG old aunt who had been around the block, so to speak. She'd tell me when hearing of a new trip: you are young (!), enjoy yourself, but be careful...". I dunno, I think euros are more aware of what goes on in Thailand than americans (in general), who are pretty much just PC about it, and imagine everyone of any age goes there to sleep with 14 YO or younger. IMO

[color:"red"]Yet all and sundry thought she was a hooker, or at least looking for a western husband. Even though she was living with my aunt. (Student accom)

Since travelling around, I've had 2 TGF's. Obvious assumptions were made as well.

[/color]

It is stigma that clings on Thai/Asian women, however, I find it more so in Europe than in the USA, I wonder why?

I still do receive questions like "What did you do in Thailand, where did you learn your English, your previous job had a lot foreign customers?". Then, some so bold as, "I heard that 50 to 75% of Thai women work in bars, one time or another" and so on.

I normally don't mind the questions above, what I mind is the assumption that Thai/Asian women must have come from prostitution background, how else could they find foreign men? Then comes the unwelcomed approach from men and cold shoulders from women. What gave me a kick recently was "Did you work as a dance partner in Thailand, is that why you dance so well?". :)

Another issue that I have encountered often is that "The Thai women always fool around". This can be my fault too because I tease and flirt occasionally :o I think I will change the habit when I turn 70!!! :devil:

The good thing can come out of the stigma though, that is a chance to explain about Thailand and Thai people. ::

Jasmine :devil:

Go figure...........

---------------------

It may take more time to explain that one's good girl is not a bad girl, than for a BG to be shown she is a good person to one's parents then....

I liked RedBaron's family response to the scene. they may not be stupid and know why people are working as such, but they understood the scene as it operates in a sec: it's not sad! (compare again with western sex streets)

I think I will change the habit when I turn 70!!!

------------------------------

Why do I have a feeling you'll be even worse at it then..... ::

The reverse operates in Thailand, BTW. i know a couple guys who went with their asian american GFs over there, on first sight, the thai would naturally speak thai to their GFs, and of course, thoughtless farangs would ask (in front of GFs ::), where they "found" them.

Hey really good discussion guys, and Jasmine. Thanks for all the views on this.

The reason for posing the question is that I now find myself in the opposite position to some years ago. I was married to a GTG for nearly ten years and we lived in London. Almost everyone assumed she was a prostitute and it became a really big problem for her. Of course once my family and friends had met her they realised their fears were unjustified and we all got on really well together.

However, many times when she was out on her own or even with me she got a lot of abuse from some very ignorant people and even got bashed one night in a club in London. Luckily she was with a group of Thai girls and the guy came off worse as they all piled in and attacked him. Interesting to hear from Jasmine on this point....

My current girl is not a BG but works in the 'industry' .......so far my family know that she works in a beauty parlour which is not exactly a lie but not exactly the truth either.

I would never tell my parents that she was a prostitute but it set me thinking about how to make a watertight story that could not unravel in the future. It is impossible to stop people that she meets asking personal questions about her past life and the very 'unfortunate' image that Thai girls have overseas makes things very difficult for them and any relationship. This is made worse if there is a big age gap as there is between us because the western view of me and the reasons why I go to BKK so much are also very negative...

Interesting discussion and thanks for your input.

I will be at the usual Friday meeting in 48 hours if anyone wants to continue the discussion over a beer, and a trip to the no-hands restaurant for dinner.

Uniformguy

Hey MaW

Nobody in my family knows about the 'uniform thing' but some of my friends do. Interesting point though, I think they might be more worried about the 'uniform thing' than my girl being a prostitute.

UG

"GTGs (although 100% loyal forever so I've heard) are difficult to meet, take weeks of chaperoned meetings before you even kiss them good night, and you haven't a clue what they're like in bed till your wedding night"

This illusion that continues to be painted about what a "gtg" is is amazing! I know so called "gtgs" that are upper class..well educated..not looking for a husband..and "gasp" enjoy sex without being married!!

I know CFA's that like to go out and party and have kissed them on the first date!! I know uni girls from good families that love to party on KSR with falangs..just for the hell of it!

Modern Thai females are just like modern females from other countries(US/Japan/Philipines/England) . not bound by traditional mores and values. There are going to be conservative and liberal in every country!

This stereotype kills me!

Archived