Thailand: Teenage Briton faces death penalty

For what it's worth, I've not heard of x taken in normal doses being a health risk. The main justification I've heard for it being illegal is it is a so called "gateway drug" where after one tries it, they then may move up to more dangerous illegal drugs. Kind of like alcohol in moderation is proven to have some health benefits, but doctors will never recommend it due to it being addictive.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says spirit_of_town_hall:

Its still a tragedy and I feel he deserves some compassion.

Hi sth,

I agree - up to a point. We should feel sorry for people who are utterly stupid and have no conscience about the consequences of their actions. Let's hope that when he gets out he will have learned a lesson and will not do it again.

I don't believe a word of his story - and, we can be sure, neither do the police.

Khwai

Says Ckrisg:

STH

Why he knew the risks and took the chance. We might find the sentences in Thailand harsh, buts thats because in the UK we are conditioned to accept that the criminal is the victim.

If you can't do the time don't do the crime

19 years old is so young, you should be able to make a few mistakes at that age. Putting things in perspective more people die each year from eating peanuts than ecstacy.

STH

Says spirit_of_town_hall:

19 years old is so young, you should be able to make a few mistakes at that age.

I'm all in favour of a little leiniency when people "make mistakes" regardless of age. I call "making a mistake" putting my underpants on back to front when I'm hungover or getting in the wrong lane in a contraflow system.

I'm not sure how I'd define sectreting 3 400 pills of an illeagal drug into my bag when I'm travelling to a country infamous for the harsh penalties it imposes on drug couriers, an "oversight" perhaps.

Cheers

I don't believe his story either, its insulting to the police's intelligence. He deserves punishment, maybe a year or so, not decades. I am pretty sure he would not have been forcing anyone to take his ecstasy, people will want to buy it and presumably take in board the marginal risks associated with its use.

STH

I agree completely. the peanut pushers should be dealt with severely.

If they do as much harm why not, I think all drug laws are pretty absurd, when you chip away and ignore the usual hysteria from the great unwashed, you'll see non of it makes sense.

Here's a link re update on the boy... Boy's fate

STH

Archived