Thailand: Teenage Briton faces death penalty

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Straycat,

IMO this board not extol prostitution, so the pursuits we extol may be slander of thailand...

You must look the situation of crimes country by country. Prostitution in Thailand is illegal, but the law isn't upheld - should it be the penalty would be a fine of 500 baht. If you compare that with drug smuggling penalty starting with 10 years in prison you can see why I think it's completely out of proportion.

elef

Says elef:

Hi PoTP,

"The pursuits extolled by this board are illegal as well, and don?t think for a second the government and police could not dish out the same fate this sad sack is going to face, if they are motivated."

I think you're completely out of proportion!

elef

i do not think that he is that much out of proportion.

prostitution is illegal in thailand, and there are some who would wish punishments such as castration on clients of prostitutes (to make it clear - i am not one of those ;) ).

you have some countries which do have very stiff punishments on prostitution (which i guess most members on this board would agree on being too cruel), you have others which have most drugs decriminalised (which some posters on this board appear to vehemently disagree with).

what i mean to say is that this is more a matter of individual's opinion than a clear cut case of law in that extended context of what people think about appropriate punishments (of course in terms of thai law it is rather clear).

i look at it more from that viewpoint: when i was a dope-smoking kid in germany i was constantly arrested and beaten up by coppers for an offense which nowadays is decriminalised, and nothing would happen to me anymore (but nowadays i am not a dope-smoker anymore :p ).

and, it should be clear to anyone that stiff druglaws are not in relation to the offense committed (alcohol is by far the biggest killer drug but legal in most of asia and the western world) but stand more in relation to poitical and economical pressure.

Says Straycat:

So, I would personally not say POFTP is completely out of proportion here.

Hi straycat,

I don't agree with you - but we all have different opinions. Prostitution is a victimless crime and is, in various ways, illegal just about everywhere, but it exists everyewhere too.

I am inclined to agree with those who say that drugs generally should be legalised, or at least properly controlled rather than totally banned. However, the point is that right now this is a serious crime anywhere in the world. That means that those involved in drug trade are serious criminals. I agree there is a difference between the multi-millionaire heroin importer and the guy selling a few ecstacy tablets in night clubs, but those pills have come from serious and dangerous criminals.

While we may dislike some bar owners, I don't think any of them could be described as serious criminals. Anyone who gets involved in drug traficking is a fool, in my opinion. Someone who gets involved in cross border smuggling is knowingly committing a very serious crime - whether it should be or not is a different matter - and must somewhere along the line have been dealing with some fairly unsavoury people.

Maybe this guy is just an idiot, but it is difficult to believe he was not aware of the risks he was running.

Khwai

Says thai3:

How many deaths would you consider to be acceptable for an illegal drug? If it was your kid you would think one was too many -peter

quote:

>>>There were at least 40 deaths related to the drug last year - twice the total reported in 2000<<<

so, you mean that 40 deaths "related" to an illegal drug are unacceptable, but tens of thousands which can be related to a legal drug (alcohol in this case) are acceptable? isn't there a little problem in your argumentation (unless of course you are not drinking alcohol at all)?

what about a small measure of self-responsibility? why do we always need a repressive law for things people should have the freedom to decide for themselves?

Says flyonzewall:

what about a small measure of self-responsibility? why do we always need a repressive law for things people should have the freedom to decide for themselves?

Hi fly,

I rarely agree with what you write, but this time is an exception. I think there is a strong argument for removing drugs from the world of criminals and putting them into the hands of pharmacists, with proper controls on quality, age limits, advice on use, etc.

Then let people decide for themselves, as in smoking, alcohol, gambling,... - all "undesirable" things likewise.

Khwai

>>>However, the point is that right now this is a serious crime anywhere in the world. <<<

not in the netherlands, and most parts of germany and britain, italy etc. have decriminalised some drugs. in india you still have charrass (dope) shops for saddhus and other religious users. in the himalaya (such as the kullu valley) villagers still grow hemp openly.

in ethiopia, somalia, somaliland and yemen kyat is absolutely legal.

>>>Prostitution is a victimless crime and is, in various ways, illegal just about everywhere, but it exists everyewhere too.<<<

you forget about the trafficking of women, indentured prostitution and such...

>>>Anyone who gets involved in drug traficking is a fool, in my opinion.<<<

that one i do agree with completely. not because of the "danger" of drugs, but due to the legal situations in many parts of the world.

but law is just law - once it was illegal to say that the earth is anything else than flat. :p

Says khwaimaisabai:

Hi fly,

I rarely agree with what you write, but this time is an exception. I think there is a strong argument for removing drugs from the world of criminals and putting them into the hands of pharmacists, with proper controls on quality, age limits, advice on use, etc.

Then let people decide for themselves, as in smoking, alcohol, gambling,... - all "undesirable" things likewise.

Khwai

yeps, definately.

unfortunately though a very unenlightened and repressive legal system makes this very difficult in many countries.

and one thing i want to add here, to make clear where i personally stand:

i am a very infrequent user of drugs due to the danger of drugs, meaning very rarely, often just once or twice a year, and that prefferably in an evironment in which it is legal/decriminalised. i also drink not much alcohol, only when going out, and hardly ever do i drink enough to be be drunk.

so, i hardly can be called a "druggy" or such.

I think we are losing the initial plot here guys, whether or not you take drugs, believe that they should be illegal or legal, whether its a victimless crime or not, the little shithead knew what he was doing was illegal and if caught would carry a heavy sentence.

Also to put P4P in the same league as drug pushing is crazy, the Thai Gov tolerate it, they don't tolerate drugs but if they were to announce tomorrow that anyone paying a girl in Thailand for sex would receive twenty years in the Bangkok Hilton, the I would look for another holiday venue. I would not travel to Thailand and take the risk.

So as I said tough shit, and he's not a Manc

Archived