Whores

jagoturner

..if you call a guy's long time BG or mia noi or concubine a whore to his face, then that guy may smack you not because he will disagree with you about it's technical meaning but rather he doesn't appreciate the negative slant that the word has.

That pretty much indicates how much respect is connected with such a word.

Now I'd like to know from the people who do enjoy using this word for all bargirls if they're not bothered by the fact that (most) readers will naturally assume that the poster in question has no (or very little) respect for these women.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any native english speaker with a reasonable vocabulary would know the word whore can only ever be interpreted as a term used in a calculated negative / derogatory manner. :( The only positive aspect of this post is that it is still running, a week ago it would have been locked, long live free speech! :applause:

This is perhaps an interesting direction to take this thread.

While whore has cultural connotations that vary IMO from country to country, eg in the 'Ho' reference by rap singers in the US, it is trying to 'empower' the worst of the black reference terms ..... 'niggers and whores'. By using these words in their own culture they are taking the power of these words away. (or so say the language socioligists)

Since this is in reference to 'working girls' in Thailand, lets get some input from some of those who know how the girls refer to themselves. (FlyW where are you? :help:) I know there are a few others on the board as well that have a good understanding of the Thais and their use of language.

Considering we are all talking about the basic girls that most farangs deal with here lets see...........

Most of the bgs I know are actually very polite about designations, usually only refering to themselves as 'bad girls'.

There are prostitutes in LOS ...... but they only work in brothels ............ and a Thai word for them is Sopanee (?)

Since Thailand and it's language is very concerned with social ranking, I would expect that there are many Thai words to distinguish the level and/or social status of ladies of this ilk.

Top of the heap .......... Mia Noi

Bottom of the heap.... (our whore) .........????

Stuff in between. ????????

(BTW - the girls I know call all of us customers, or friends (regular customer they like). Boyfriend is one that sends money from abroad (TTM - you have this one spot on in your tag line)....... any more anyone knows.????

So this is why many here don't want to call a spade a spade

You lost me completely here. ::

What you're infact saying is that you are calling a spade a spade by calling a bargirl a whore and I'm NOT calling a spade a spade by calling a bargirl a bargirl??

Please do elaborate on the above as you now make it sound like I'm trying to escape its (true) meaning.

I like the term "commercial sex worker" (CSW) as it serves a distinct purpose and quite effective in communicating your intentions/tone towards that group.

I wonder if people don't like the terms "sanitatary engineer" for a building maintenance man or as they like to call themselves "shit disturbers". Using the word "engineer" to me is misleading since this word is professionel defined though we also use it in laymen terms as well see above or BMW car commercials.

Or instead of housekeeping or maid but "environmental service aide" and doctors and nurses are now CCG or "compassionate care givers".......

Cardinalblue

Again I am going to defend the use of the word 'whore'.

No, you wouldn't call someone's BG girlfriend a 'whore', though neither would you call her a 'prostitute, sex worker, etc

If I was going to Thailand for P4P, I may happily tell my friends that I was going 'whoring', without negative connotation.(Depending on the friend)

In fact, if I said I was going to have sex with prostitutes, that would, for me, add a certain coldness to the stated intent.

Going 'whoring' sounds like fun.

jjsushi, you speak of nuances, while appearing to discount context and emphasis.

The girls are whores.

They sell their bodies for money.

It doesn't matter if they are rich or they are poor.(I've seen both sides of this coin, having spent time with the girls from a high end agency dealing only with millionaires and getting to know some of the 'not so well off' Thai girls.

Up to them.

Up to you if you want to go with them.

Sex workers.... Hahahahahahaha

LaoHuLi said:

......lets get some input from some of those who know how the girls refer to themselves.

Hi lhl,

My GF - a former Nana Plaza bargirl - uses the term "phu ying khrang khuen". This means "lady of the night".

And to comment on the remarks of another poster, if I ever heard anyone refer to her as a whore I guarantee that my normally placid temperament would change violently.

Khwai

Archived