What is your wife or girlfriend's most HATED food?

Chanchao

My girl's most hated food is probably Vietnamese food (at the moment). Don't know what it's called, some sort of veggie rolls (loompia style) ..delicious. We ate so much of it the other day that she got sick of it. She can't see or smell it anymore. :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

> Joke (but only from one place in Bkk ..... very good actually)

Reminds me too much of "sperm porridge". ;-)

> Don't know what it's called, some sort of veggie

> rolls (loompia style) ..delicious.

Po Pia Sod (As opposed to the fried variety: Po Pia Thod)

> We ate so much of it the other day that she got sick of it.

> She can't see or smell it anymore.

Ha, yes, over-dosing on a particular kind of food. :) The feeling of getting slightly nauseous even when going near the place.. Can keep you off things for quite a while.

One of these days I will be reviewing a.. wait for it... Vietnamese BUFFET style restaurant. ("Madame Iang" in Chiang Mai) Buffets are very suitable places for OD'ing on food. Or the Oi-Ishi buffet anyone.. god that can make you sick. Especially because it's expensive so you feel like you have to get your money's worth. With the 29 baht Thai buffet place next door I'm less bothered by this. :)

This Vietnamese place is interesting because it's more than just a buffet, you can order pretty much anything from the menu on an all-you-can-eat basis. :) On second thought, let's postpone that...

Cheers,

Chanchao

Po Pia Sod (As opposed to the fried variety: Po Pia Thod)

Ah thanks, I was aware of Po Pia (Thod), but not the first one (Sod). Makes sense.

an all-you-can-eat basis

I rarely frequent such places (like Diadomon) but when I do I'm sure I eat more than double I pay for. I wonder how they could make profit when good eaters like myself indulge in these kind of activities. :)

Perhaps I'm put on the black list upon leaving the place.

My wife, who loves her food and really packs it away (how does she stay at 50Kg :dunno:) does not have any ethnic food that she does not like wholesale, but certain things:

No no list:

Any red meat (religous reasons) like beef, lamb, etc.)

Exotic meats (tried alligator once, like it until I told her what it was :dunno:)

Fish -- hates it, even the smell! Even meet a Thai that did not eat fish????

Most Issan food, but especially bugs and most organ meat dishes

Must have list:

Crustaceans

Squid

Chicken & pork in general, but especially tandorri chicken, larb (cooked) & moo nahm tok & moo gratiem prik thai

Turkey

Pizza, well any Italian

Som Tam Poo (no pla raa)

Unripe mango & papaya

Those salty dried plum candies

Edamame

Rice

Taco Bell chicken dishes (other Mexican is OK too, but TB #1)

Since we have lived in Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, USA and here, as well as visited many other countries, she is adventurous. She will try anything once, twice if not sure. That is just one thing I love about her.

Cheers,

SD

There are a few things my wife doesn't like including Indian food due to the Thai perception of Indians as being unclean. And in our area many aren't helping to break the stereotype. Nothing more off putting when digging into a nice vindaloo than a heavy dose of B.O. as the waiter drops off the garlic naan.

Another thing she doesn't like is Japanese rice, particularly short grained sushi rice. I'm a sushiholic and have to have it at least once a week. Whenever the two of us go out for sushi she will only eat sashimi. Most restaurants around here serve tobiko (flying fish roe) on top of rice rolled in nori since it is easier to eat that way. She loves the tobiko but will eat it off the top of the rice and leave the rest.

But I would say the food she dislikes the most is Mexican which is unfortunate as it is one of my favorites when done well, i.e. no Taco Bell / Tex -mex crap. I don't know whether it is because the few places she has been to were typical tex-mex crap or if she just doesn't like the spice combinations. Tampa Bay is sorely lacking in good Mexican food with the exception of one very good restaurant. I've been trying to get her to try it but she refuses. I did get her to try real tacos at a little taqueria in a Mexican grocery store. She thought the tacos were good but wouldn't go back as she thought it was very dirty. Oh well.

Hi,

Suprisingly my wife rather liked the Indian food we had when visiting a friend (you know who) in Malaysia. Have not had any luck in getting her to an Indian restaurant in BKK though, but then again there aren't any in our area :(

As for:

"Another thing I could add that the missus really dislikes, along with all other 65 million Thais, would be the black liquorice candy. Even the soft, sweet baby variety makes her throw up. Never mind the double-salted ones Khun Sanuk seems addicted to."

Yeah, the vast majority of Thais cannot keep a double-salted liquorice in their mouth for more than a few seconds :)

Had one guy tell me the stuff tastes like car tires. I asked him how he knew that?

Sanuk!

"due to the Thai perception of Indians as being unclean. And in our area many aren't helping to break the stereotype"

Funny you bring that up. It seems like just about every time we go the only Indian Resturant (not in Thailand) near our house, my wife sends at least one of the glasses or plates back as being dirty. That rarely happens anywhere else.

TH

sky brow said:

Lamb comes to mind..

Yep, had that too and didn't see it coming. Recommended lamb chops for her once at a restaurant. She's usually good on foreign foods but had to head off to the toilets to puke when she had lamb chops. (Actually, I didn't know she'd done it at the time because she made so little fuss, which I found quite cute.)

Other than that, the usuals: Indian foods & cheese (except cheese on pizza). Oh, and Yorkshire pudding.

How about foods that they like but shouldn't? Why do Thais, with their love of spicy stuff, like comparatively bland Japanese food so much? Also, my girlfriend absolutely loved English roast beef dinners, salmon, pasta, olives(!) and salami (many times I had to hide it from her ::). Olives??? :dunno:

Licorice is car tires but try telling that to the dog biting your tires as you drive down the raod. Dogs love eating tires.

Food she dislikes: Salmon

Archived