I struck a Thai. Your thoughts?

Pom_Jao_Choo

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>or at least at the edges on BKK on my next tour.<<<

i would advise you to be very careful while choosing where at the edges of town you might want to move. lots of areas at the edges of town are not safe at all.

you might end up wishing that the worst that could happen is a bloke grabbing your willy. ::

i am surviving because of that. i can do things most thais would for good reasons never dare to do, could simply not do. i can go almost anywhere, mix with people as a stranger who unknown thais would not be able to mix with.

yes, there is a lot of more or less supressed animosity towards farang, but lets not forget the fact that there is far more animosities between thais themselves. and those animosities are far more extreme in their level of violence than the relatively little problems between farang and thai.

for the vast majority of thais we play an insignificant role in their lives, they have a lot more problems than disliking farang.

-----------------------------------

Bravo, FlyW. 100% with you on that.

I just think that too many expats have never-resolved, conflictual, poisonous (to their well-being) issues with thais and life in Thailand. CB posted a great post about how the thais make the best of difficult, unsavoury situations, even their low status position.

Whereas a good majority of expats have made of the conflicts they have in living in Thailand a part of their expat psyche. Imo, this is what sets them apart from this society as a whole, not what thais "think of" farangs, because we or they do this or do that.

I actually think, as you just wrote, that we farangs are allowed a lot of freedom, that thais won't have, because we simply do not have to conform to this society, according to rank or culture/upbringing, as much as the thais do.

If we read litterature about contacts between thais and farangs for the past 150 years, there has always been a funny cultural divide between the 2. nothing new. Still, the thais do welcome us, and have always done so.

I dunno, as much as i also stomach annoyances that irritate me like anyone else, i always find that with a little effort or curiosity, there is much to celebrate while staying in Thailand. When a certain "cultural" exhaustion happens, i know not to blame the thais for it. It's just time to go home for me, or go visit another country nearby. Works wonders. Going back across the border back in Thailand always feels like coming home as well.

Life is short, complaining should be even shorter. Celebrate, not cerebrate.....

Just using the Quick reply, not emant for LP in particular.

If anything, Thai men are probably not cowardly ENOUGH. That's why you get the screaming motorcycle races down city streets that result in all of those godawful crackups. And if poofters can't fight, go hassle some Ladyboys on Sukhumvit.

Still, anyone who thinks he can grab someone's balls just because they're afarang's balls should not be surprised at getting whopped in the head.

I think it is great!!But,probably an overreaction and not to smart for living in Thailand.If you had drawn any blood,irregardless of an aids threat,the police would not have been supporttive or even interested in your explanation!The is a good chance of ''monkeyhouse'' and/or deportation!Many Thais know this and feel a license to be as aggressive as they want.It sucks big time,but something you have realize if you are going to live here.

I have made 3 of these mistakes since I moved and have been lucky.You were lucky!In my opinion,you should move for peace of mind.Why take the chance of some future altercation where you will be in a position of NO RIGHTS.How can you take a chance to defend yourself.Play it smart,move and put it behind you.Chok Dee

Guest lazyphil

To me a hard man tough guy is someone who can walk in to a pub alone full of hard bastards single out one the guy wants among his friends and give him a beating. I know a couple of guys who do this. Is this Thai style?

lazyphil said:

To me a hard man tough guy is someone who can walk in to a pub alone full of hard bastards single out one the guy wants among his friends and give him a beating. I know a couple of guys who do this. Is this Thai style?

people here generally do not have that pubescent brit/aussie style of mistaken manhood. people fight when they feel it is necessary and to really hurt the opponent badly (or kill him). people rarely just inflict some little "beating" - they fuck the other one up as bad as they can, so he won't be back.

why should you fight if you don't have to?

and when you have to why should you keep it "fair"?

beats me. we did that when we were kids, but now it's a grown ups world.

but yes, people do walk alone into pubs, but more often than not they shoot the guy then, or slash him to pieces.

if you walk here into a pub barefisted to look for trouble you'll end up dead (maybe a brave corpse - but nevertheless - a stiff).

>>>>To me a hard man tough guy is someone who can walk in to a pub alone full of hard bastards single out one the guy wants among his friends and give him a beating.<<<<

To me a hard man tough guy is someone who can walk in to a pub alone full of hard bastards single out one the guy wants among his friends and 'not' give him a beating.

He's hard enough that he doesn't need to prove anything to anybody, but himself.

HT

Archived