I struck a Thai. Your thoughts?

Pom_Jao_Choo

but is now a stand-off relating to the face issue.

I understand you, HT, but I really couldn't care less about his face. That's really his deserved problem, not PJC's. I don't see why PJC should make the first step to peace being the victim here.

If the gay guy feels the need to talk things over etc, sure ok, few beers make up, if not screw him!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not bother trying to make peace with him. He could just play along, biding his time until he saw an opening for revenge when you have your guard down some day. Once you've smacked him in the head in anger in public, don't ever trust him in the future. Yours was probably an overreaction, but I wasn't there. His threats of retribution may have been in the heat of the moment, you never know. I'd steer clear of him no matter what, one way or the other.

Chico said:

I dont think you over reacted. Infact I think you were rather restrained with your actions.

Even though we are in a different country with different values you have to stand up for yourself. I am sick of being told that things are 'different' in Thailand, and the meaning of that being that I have to sacrafice my own personal space, beliefs, and principles.

And what is with all this political correctness? I have an easy going nature but some guy touches my pecker like that then I would make sure he would never do that to me again.

And if he gave me more cheek about retalition I would put him in a world of hurt.

Jai yen yen.. ha!

I agree with Chico here. I think you restrained yourself well. Just a slap to the head? A broken nose would have reminded him of his impolite behaviour for a longer period. :)

Uncle Remus

Chico said:

Even though we are in a different country with different values you have to stand up for yourself. I am sick of being told that things are 'different' in Thailand, and the meaning of that being that I have to sacrafice my own personal space, beliefs, and principles.

Yeah that's cool and all but you also have to remember that when you are in a different country you are ALONE. You don't have a network of family and friends to back you up or cover your ass if shit goes bad.

When I was a kid there were certain areas of town where I knew I could be a tough a guy and certain areas where I had to keep my mouth shut because I had no support group there or with me.

Short of being attacked it is smart to avoid physical altercations with Thais not because your a punk or not standing up for yourself but rather you don't know what the ramifications for retaliation are. Being a farang makes you easily identifiable and thus easily located for any type of revenge. I follow the same policy no matter what country or place I go too. My only exception to this rule is drunk assholes I encounter in bars and discos. I'll smack them in a minute and make a hasty exit from the premises.

So unless you are prepared to deal with the unknown and ungaugeable you may want to modify your personal principles and beliefs and principles when it comes to confrontation in places where you are alone. Otherwise you might end up going back to your home country in a body bag.

In the original posters case he should have definitely had more restraint because the altercation occured in his apartment building. Where the hell is he going to lay low now? I personally would not take any chances. I would just change apartments to be on the safe side and if I was not that worried then I would find a way to lessen the hostility by letting the other guy know that it's smart to let the incident drop. Maybe I am paranoid because I witnessed situations where people shot each other over a pair of scuffed sneakers or calling someone a derogatory name. Moving doesn't make you a punk, it is just a realization that it ain't your "hood".

Sorry Chico but real life ain't like a Hollywood movie where the big muscle bound hero beats the shit out of 20 armed bad guys with his hands, gets the prettiest girl in town and lives happily ever after while upholding his beliefs and principles. In real life he would have got a bullet in his ass.

Totally agree with JJ sushi. When you are on your turf, you could have fucked him up and not had to worry about it. In the west people would have EXPECTED you to do that. In Thailand you must definitely understand your environment and that confrontation can mean problems that you are not prepared to deal with. I assume you moved there to escape some sort of western bullshit. Why not smooth it over and make it a paradise again? I walk around my neighborhood everyday wondering if some young punk is going to try me. That is one reason why I want out of there. Don't you want to not worry about those things??? My suggestion of a beer and a talk will not reinforce the gay thing, to the poster that mentioned that. I don't think it was a gay situation. Thai people are still very curious of farangs and I have seen them touch folks passing by out of sheer curiousity. However there is an undertone of disrespect, especially when they touch your privates so I understand your reaction but that was 1 minute tops in the lift compared to everyday bullshit in the west, so maybe a compromise with a beer? Make it paradise again man!

To those who met my "beer" post with such disdain, I am sure you will be there to back the orig. poster up if the deal goes down... Yeah, you will meet him over there right??? Everyone wants to pound their chest like a gorilla, been there done that, finished with that. But you know everyone has to be their own man...

Oneye

So unless you are prepared to deal with the unknown and ungaugeable you may want to modify your personal principles and beliefs and principles when it comes to confrontation in places where you are alone. Otherwise you might end up going back to your home country in a body bag.

JJ,

You may be right for a rather 'innocent' incident as PJC described in his initial post, it's not worth the fear for retaliation. But as you say 'ending up in a body bag' applies as much here as in the West, friends or no friends. They don't give a shit, they'll wait till the time's ripe for such actions if necessary.

For me, I wouldn't want to allow (real) inappropriate behavior from strangers in my very own neighborhood just for the fact of being 'alone'. I can't rewrite my personality to live my life like a sissy to save my ass from possible revenge attacks from guys who believe they can pull off everything from anybody.

No can do, fuck'em. :)

you could have fucked him up and not had to worry about it.

Yeah right!

I advice you to watch your steps WHEREVER you fuck somebody up, be it your own neighboorhood or elsewhere. Why do you think they won't retaliate? Just because it has never happened to you doesn't mean that you may safely conclude that retaliations in one's own neighboorhood don't take place.

Dang, everyone's getting worked up.

While I agree he needs to be aware, I don't think there's much coming down the road from this guy. Just ignore him.

I don't know where everyone else is from, but from what I know, it's not kosher to feel a stranger's willy anywhere. Da Thai guy knows this and he was caught with his hands in the cookie jar. Even if he did "lose" face, it was deserved. Just him knowing this fact makes me believe he ain't going to do anything because he himself brought it on to himself.

<<burp>>

Sorry Chico but real life ain't like a Hollywood movie where the big muscle bound hero beats the shit out of 20 armed bad guys with his hands, gets the prettiest girl in town and lives happily ever after while upholding his beliefs and principles. In real life he would have got a bullet in his ass.

I agree with the general theme of what your saying, and I usually go out of my way to avoid and problems with Thais ,for good reason. However, you have to draw the line somewhere and stand up for yourself at some point. Under what circumstances would it be okay to retaliate. How much shit do you have to take?

Dont forget the guy was just standing in the lift minding his own business. He hardly invited the problem. However, this is Thailand and knowing how Thais think the matter may not be over. There is something seriously wrong with someone who touches a guys pecker and then is surprised when there is a reaction.

What would happen if your in the lift with your woman and some guy touches your girl between the legs? Are we still going to laugh it off and do nothing?

For me the last thing I want is a problem with a Thai but I aint gonna roll over and play dead because someone is a complete asshole.

One thing is for sure that guy will think twice about doing it again to someone else.

Archived