User ratings

khunsanuk

doubt there is any real solution on a public board, but please don't encourage more drivel treads.

Agreed. I see no reason why starting a thread should be seen as more valuable than contributing to a thread. I only open a thread when I have something new to say or to ask. If possible, I rather see an old thread on the same subject revived than a new one opened.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get rid of both the numbers and the titles. It will eliminate a lot of useless drivel, and might even motivate some of the more overly zealous posters to actually get a life.

The popularity of this board came about long before ratings, numbers, and titles. Some of us old timers long for a return to the good old days.

I actually like the # of posts to show. For me, it provides a weird sort of historical and frequency check for my board activity. I kind of like watching the #s go up, slowly but surely.

More importantly, it also makes me feel some degree of connection with the board - shows I have been hanging in here a while. And same goes for when I see others with fairly large posting #s.

As for using the #s to judge quality of others' posts, in 99.9% of the cases I don't use it that way.

My vote - keep them.

froggo

i vote for keeping the numbers of posts and the register day. many times i answer in a different way to a newbie or long time board member. for example some more basic info or advise to a newbie.

and with so many members you can hardly keep overview who is newbie and who is long time board member.

I like things the way they are now. It's nice to see the amount of posts, location, title and reg. date of other members.

Gives us a bit more info on the person/post we are replying to and *sometimes* it influences my reply; (longtime member with 5 posts or newbie to the board with 500)

I'm not in favor of the user rating feature.

:bow:,

I would not take the number of posts away for two reasons :

a) Pattaya and BelgianBoy would loose almost everything they achieved in their life

B) Identifying ignorants is easier. if somebody with 18000 posts wants to know if the Landmark is guestfriendly you can comfortably flame him.

BuBi

:) bubi,

You made me smile..... do note I could not be bothered much for the no of postings mentionned or not.....

But its nice to see a registration date, location and an avatar.

As for rating posters, :down: totally against, will be forming groups and revenge if not agreeing to a poster or even a mod.

Up to KS to decide, as long as I am on this board to express my feelings and continue meeting some internetfriends in this community.

BB

I seems to me that the ratings as they are now set up are useless since the posters gets credit for posting whether they provide any information or not. For instance, sometimes the posts degenerate into private discussions between posters that have nothing to do with the topic at hand, yet the "stats" for the poster(s) goes up.

If you want a true picture then the criteria should be to those who initiate a thread and not just add drivel to it.

Also if you want a breakdown then it should be between members and non members. Those that pay to participate on the board should be afforded the moniker as paying members as opposed those who just post.

<< The popularity of this board came about long before ratings, numbers, and titles. >>

True enough. But on the old Delphi Nanaplaza board -- and any current group on Delfried -- you can click on a person's profile and see how many posts they have made. I see nothing wrong with branding somebody a newby or an old fart or in counting coup. But the number of posts doesn't mean much to me, nor I should hope to most people. If a person is an old timer, I should recognise the name anyway. But if not, so what? What's wrong with fresh blood.

I'd say let KS do whatever he wants. If he wants to go to the trouble of deleting the numbers and titles, no problem. If he doesn't want to go to the trouble, fair enough to. It is hardly a pressing matter.

Up to you chief. But it aint broken, so why try to fix it?

I'd definately scrap the idea if "ranking" or acknowledging posters as to how many threads they start. Can you imagine the amount of crap threads which may accumulate?

Rankings (stars other than JaiDee) didn't work before. As I remember we all pretty much voted against it.

# of posts and titles? Can serve as a reference point, especially for newbies, as to how reliable info given could be. Granted, someone like me, while may have a few posts under his belt - still may be an ignoramus.

Archived