educated farang, uneducated poor TG

pattaya127

SM,

That is my point! Remember, what you quoted is a counter response to Orand's comment about if given the opportunity to education....

The vast majority of Uneducated people are not going to return when given the opportunity. School has never been part of their life and just because now they have access to it will they start up again. It is not in the cards...

The value of education starts early in one's life and it is something that is not kick started just because now the opportunity presents itself as you alluded to for anyone.....

Caridinalblue

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

I think like jj said common background shared like pop culture, movies you watched when young, kids TV shows, where you went as a child on holiday, food you like etc etc are more important (we share very little btw!) than education, education yes can be very handy for the tg to have in a practical sense to get a better paid job but on other levels I dont think it counts too much. I can confidently take my mrs around the world (LOS is different as its quite narrow minded) to an assortment of environments and know she'll know how to behave (manners etc) as although her education is basic her upbringing was sound. Upbringing and being taught how to speak to people if much more important, I know or have to deal with some of top brains around and they seem quite vacant ::

That is my point! Remember, what you quoted is a counter response to Orand's comment about if given the opportunity to education....

I think you misunderstood orandanodes point. He was merely saying that BG's can be quite intelligent, and if given the opportunity, they could get the same level of education as their partners.

You throw in the complexity of starting a study from a very low level when they are already adults and have various responsibilities, and I say that is not a fair comparison. You can't expect such a thing to happen. Only exceptionally motivated people (no matter if they are farang or thai) can pull this off.

[color:"red"] The best of the TG students would be average at best in mainstream competitive englsih universities.

[/color]

I do believe that 75% may be be average and these people WERE average in Thailand. However, most of us who are on scholarship are require the 3.5 and many of us got 4., with lots of pain but some of us did it. (I did not get 4.0 though)

There was a saying when I was going to school that "Those people are poor, they are on scolarship, the rich ones don't need to study as hard" which is not true t for everyone there but we were "Just poor students".

What most Thai students lack, IMO, is the ability to think and analyze and having the initiative.

[color:"red"] the odds are too late in their life to instill eduaction as a valued belief. It is also possible that falang doesn't value education either. I would say more not than do even if they themselves have some education. [/color]

It is true that most of these women have been out of school for so long that they forget how to study and being disciplined,and the change is very difficult. Also, many of them think it is stupid to put ones in a hardship as going to school. ::

Also, IMO a very BIG factor, I have met what you call "farangs" who would notl like it much if their TGs go back to school, you figure out why! ::

Jasmine

I don't think thai gals are so different from anyone else in so far as if they want to do something and have the motivation to do it they probably can and will but if they are not interested just like any one they will probably fail.

How to stimulate that interest is another question.

It is amazing what people and i mean anybody can do when they have the desire and motivation.

I think all of you missed my point.

I'm not talking about someone in their mid twenties or thirties getting for the first time decent access to an education.

I'm talking about at early school age, when many upcountry TG's couldn't further education, not because of lack of intelligence or competence, or motivation, but for of financial reasons, paents pressure.

I would like to ask you how many farang quit education at say between 12 - 16 for that reason?

Obviously one has to be motivated very very much to go back to school after an absense of 20 odd years. But a lot of the upcountry TG's could and would have done much better education wise if brought up in a big Thai city and within a family with less financial hardship.

In fact I find this very limited access for the rural Thais to adequate education one of the main obstacles to Thailand's attempt to become a more developed nation. And its a severe loss to the potential of the country.

I'm talking about at early school age, when many upcountry TG's couldn't further education, not because of lack of intelligence or competence, or motivation, but for of financial reasons, paents pressure.

That's EXACTLY what I thought you meant. That's also why I said to CB that it wasn't fair to talk about starting that education when you're already an adult and have other responsibilities.

Cheers,

soongmak

Guest lazyphil

When I left school it was the happiest day of my life, I hated it, the bullying/violence, verbal abuse off teachers and the general bad feeling I got from it, it put me off classrooms for a long time and only recently have I got the desire to learn formally again, only now I have a mortgage to pay and little time for it. In the mean time I've always had interest in many things--I put going to work so early to good use, I travelled to all continents of the world (bar Aus/Antartica), I've read up on history and geography of the places I went to. I will take my mrs to more places (I have Peru in my sights) as she has the wonderlust too, we canoed out into the wilderness in Minnesota recently caught our lunch and listened to the Loon birds at night drinking cold beer, now you may think so fucking what, but I say you cant experience this in a classroom can you, this is fun, this is enjoying life....I've taken her on sort of field trips without even knowing it, like visiting Oliver Cromwells house or to the village the black death broke out or crossing the Alps, in turn shes shown me her culture in LOS, again so what, but I say life aint a rehersal so why get hung up on education, life is an education, a corny cliche yes but still true, yes?

Archived