Lost my sympathy for Bigley

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen on the news the results of US bombing in Falluja ...women and children being pulled out of the rubble that used to be their homes...a us spokesman claimed it was a " precision strike against a terrorist target " ...what a load of crap.So easy to kill from the air.so clean-just press a button just like a video game...they don`t have to see the mess or the consequences of their actions.Just a bit more collateral damage along the way to Bush`s new world order...

[color:"red"] and deciding to live in an non-secured complex to save money despite daily multiple kidnappings and murders isn't a particualrly responsible way to act.

[/color]

Perhaps it does not sound like a responsible way to act by going there. Even though he is not a soldier, none of us really knows his situations why he felt he had to have that job. We all make decision based on the information we have and it was his choice to be there. However, it does not mean that he does not have a right to ask for help, IMO, of course.

Jasmine

As one who is considering going to work in the middle east or Afganistan, I have to agree, there are circustances which drive people to do this type of work. These circumstances cannot be understood by anyone other than another in the same situation. Sort of "...walk a mile in my shoes..." type thing.

Hi kenkannif --

You're right, of course, that being a domestic police officer, especially in a small town, in the U.S. is a vastly different matter from entering any unsafe area, wether the lack of safety is due to war, natural disaster, or whatever.

You made a reference to the 3 living in an unsecured compound to save money, and you aren't the first to note that. However, it was widely reported that the guard failed to show up, for one thing. Jack Armstrong himself told me earlier this year the house had a guard around the clock. Also, there was no need for Armstrong, Hensley, or Bigley to save money -- all those costs were borne by their employer, Global, which by every single report I've heard over a number of years is a superb employer that takes excellent care of its employees. Again, Jack himself told me the house, the guards, the heavily armored vehicle he drove, etc. were provided by his company.

One thing I don't know is if the house is in the [so-called] "safe zone;" if it isn't, then I AM puzzled. Unless the reality on the ground is that there *is* no true safe zone.

I strongly agree with the posters who have said they support the British government. I wholeheartedly believe the government is doing it's very best to secure Bigley's safe return. And good on them for it.

Respectfully,

Mekhong Kurt

>>it was widely reported that the guard failed to show up, for one thing...

One thing I don't know is if the house is in the [so-called] "safe zone;" if it isn't, then I AM puzzled. Unless the reality on the ground is that there *is* no true safe zone.<<<

It was two guards who stopped showing up two days before the kidnapping, The reports conflicted over whether the guards were threatened, or left because they knew the farang were being watched and told the farang before bailing out.

The house was not in the greenzone. Zone real estate is very scarce and goes to diplomatic and corporate personnel with pull. The house was in an upscale baghdad neighborhood with iraqi neighbors. The farang had guns in the house. The power went out at 6am, one of the farang goes out to turn on the generator. The kidnappers were waiting outside, grabbed him then went into the house and grabbed the other two.

>>that perversion of everything humanity strives for.<<

I hope you see that the very small minority of islamists who are slaughtering the iraqis by the hundreds have an agenda. Its not only to eject the coalition. What they have in mind will leave the iraqis in far worse circumstances than under saddam. The perversion that is going on is driven by their perverted ambitions.

You can point at GWB and say he started this mess without any justifiable reason (debated to the nth degree worldwide), but the here and now problem is not caused by bush.

I have worked in Saudi for a number of years and have friends who also work in Iraq.

The primary motivation for most expats in the ME is the salary package.

Many people who have financial problems or are divorced have decided to take the plunge and go overseas and try and better their situation. There is nothing wrong with that as most people want to get ahead in life

People who go to Iraq are obviously aware that there are risks involved in going but does that mean we should not have sympathy for them if they get into a terrible situation?

I don't think so. The man is a British citizen and as such has made an appeal to the British govt. That is his right.

Samy your comments are a mean spirited, callous, selfish and ignorant.

You cannot imagine the grief that he and his loved ones must be going through.

A good friend of mine was brutally murdered in the Khobar massacre in late May of this year in Saudi.

He was a chef in a western compound and he had his throat slit was shot and then his body was dismembered.

Charming.

The death of innocent civilians anywhere is a tragedy and not something to made light of.

Archived