84 Dead in Pattani: "This is typical"

MaiLuk

thai3 said:

If poor old Mr T is as widely hated as you suggest for all his cruel and unjust policies he would expect to get thrashed in next years election, but that looks very unlikely.Most people will forgive their leaders most things as long as the ecconomy is not doing too badly. For everyone that hates him several more appear to love him-peter

again, you appear to have a literacy problem.

in no way i have suggested that he is "widely" hated to an extend that he will lose the election. what i have suggested is that he is not universally loved (as you posted by saying that you "never heard a thai saying something against thaksin), and that he is losing increasingly popularity. opinion polls recently showed that he will not get his aspired absolute majority of more than 400 seats, but only a bit over 200 seats in parliament, which will force him to form a coalition government.

the incident in the south of the 78 suffocated rapidly decreased his popularity again, as, opposing to your 'opinion', the vast majority of the population, and the media, is horrified by the incident.

also, the economy in thailand is everything else then "not doing too badly". we experience a bubble expected to burst within the next 2 years. the per capita debts are increasing rapidly (true statistics not available as nowadays all statitics here get faked). the economy is bound to collapse.

his orientation towards china is going to backfire as china is everything else than stable as well. his recent agricultural programs, such as the rubber madness, in thailand are going to impoverish the small scale farmers even more.

you really should inform yourself and not make statements based on a warped ideology.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with the state sponsored assassination of drug dealers and the latest fiasco in Pattani is that the authorities are not necessarily targeting the right people and indeed in many cases maybe killing innocent bystanders.

Let me pose a scenario that is quite plausible.....

Someone who you do business with or are a friend of has your phone number in their cell phone and unbeknowns to you they are a terrorist or a drug dealer.

The police check their sim card and then you are marked as a possible insurgent or dealer and then become one of the casualties of a crackdown where no due process is followed.

Some might say too bad ...collateral damage but this is what can and does happen when action is taken without due process.

The end result of all of this is a breakdown in the political and judicial system leading to a wild west type scenario.

>>>The end result of all of this is a breakdown in the political and judicial system leading to a wild west type scenario. <<<

yes.

that is what has partially happened here. violence everywhere spread to frightening proportions. not just in the south. a spiral of violence which soon cannot be contained anymore, especially when the economy is collapsing.

and even if the targets are guilty, and the "right" people, due process still has to be observed.

You know what the next step is then when the violence spreads out of control..... martial law.

And so Thailand returns to what it knows so well....the army running the country.

It seems Thailand is doomed to repeat itself and not learn from its past mistakes.

Sad really.

flyonzewall said:

being a suspected drugaddict on one of the blacklists. according to official numbers about 300 000 thais were sent to the camps during last years drugwar, for a different period of time.

I didn't know Thailand had come to this. Its an eyeopener. The holiday paradise in the sun does not seem so tempting anymore.

check_bin_krap said:
flyonzewall said:

being a suspected drugaddict on one of the blacklists. according to official numbers about 300 000 thais were sent to the camps during last years drugwar, for a different period of time.

I didn't know Thailand had come to this. Its an eyeopener. The holiday paradise in the sun does not seem so tempting anymore.

Fly,

I have heard of the camps, but not of the numbers. Have this numbers been published in Western press or did they went completely unnoticed?

300.000 prisoners? I am really shocked.

>>>300.000 prisoners? I am really shocked.<<<

not prisoners. people sent into the reeducation camps for differing periods of time, from a few weeks to a few months. the official number of arrested and imprisoned during last year's drugwar was 50 000 people.

>>>Have this numbers been published in Western press<<<

the western press has reported fuck all of the drugwar apart from a few little articles in small papers. it started reporting when the announcement was made that the drugwar was officially finished. that was a bit late though for the thousands killed (official number 2500, most of them during the first two months, inofficial numbers are between 4000 and 5000 dead. officially mostly done by silence killing within the gangs. inoffially, and far closer to the truth - mostly done by deathsquads formed of special police units and remnants of the krating daeng and other volonteer forces - most of them veterans of very similar killings during the communist insurgency).

the killing actually rapidly stopped after the second month when the national human rights commission started making a big fuzz about the blacklist killings, especially when the thai press reported about the child killed during an "encounter" in bangkok where, unfortunately for the government, too many witnesses were present who had a somewhat differing account of the incident than the involved security forces.

Archived