Disturbing Phnom Pehn "Slave" Brothel Report-

jitagawn

I once researched this, and posted here. KS subsequetly put on the pay site. I think I called it "Thai girl road show"??? Was the compilation of many interviews of Thai girls, returning from indentured situations, primarily, from Japan.

I'll go look for it, and post here.

Damn...I can't find it. Maybe KS can help out here. Was really good, and explained the situation, from start to finish. I'll try again........

Shit......search is not working, and my tirak is screaming for me to be online. :: If I can't find, I'll try to reconstuct for you, when tirak is finished screaming at me, why I have not brought her to me here, yet. :D

I have bigger fish to fry, right now. :grinyes:

here

Found it!

HT

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

>>>>Tell me about the $20-30,000 money the girls have to work off. Who gets it? Presumably these deals are worked out in Bangkok by agents...who gets what?<<<<

As you can see, the buyer pays around $11,000, and girl must produce $30,000 income. Net profit of $19,000 to buyer.

Handelers/recruiters get the $11,000, from buyer.

Girls gets jack shit. Until enters into a new contract. At that point, handlers are out of the picture, and she gets the $11,000 new signing fee. And is the incentive for her to return, or stay there. They also (girl), at this point, get to keep a pecentage of what they make, for every trick/turn. And can translate to very big money for them. And is why, even after going through such an ordeal of making nothing, they are quite willing to continue. To continue, is the final payoff for them, and the justification for it all.

Which brings us back to my original posts. It's the notion of damaged goods, and the promise of elevating to a higher place, that takes them back into the same asbysmal place. Forget talking Western reason. I've been there, done that. It's an exorsize in futility, in the exstreme.

HT

Here is the sequel to the article which started the thread:

By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

The New York Times

Published: January 19, 2005

Freeing Sex Slaves: A Year Later

What has happened to Srey Neth in the year since Nicholas D. Kristof purchased the freedom of the teenage Cambodian prostitute?

BATTAMBANG, Cambodia

A year ago, a pimp handed me a quivering teenage girl. Her name was Srey Neth, and she was one of the hundreds of thousands of teenagers who are enslaved by the sex trafficking industry worldwide.

Then I did something dreadfully unjournalistic: I bought her.

I purchased Srey Neth for $150 and another teenager, Srey Mom, for $203, receiving receipts from the brothel owners. As readers may remember, I then freed the girls and took them back to their villages.

Now I've come back to find out how they coped with freedom.

At first, it turns out, everything went well for Srey Neth. Our plan was for her to start a shop in her village, near Battambang. She invested $100 I had given her to build a shack and stock it with food and clothing. For a few months, business boomed.

The problem was her family. Srey Neth's parents and older brothers and sisters had a hard time understanding why they should go hungry when their sister had a store full of food. And her little nephews and nieces, running around the yard, helped themselves when she wasn't looking.

"Srey Neth got mad," her mother recalled. "She said we had to stay away, or everything would be gone. She said she had to have money to buy new things."

But in a Cambodian village, nobody listens to an uneducated teenage girl. Indeed, the low status of girls is the underlying reason why so many daughters are sold to the brothels. So by May, Srey Neth's shop was empty, and she had no money to restock it.

"It was our fault," her father told me, looking ashamed. "It was not Srey Neth's fault."

Srey Neth worried about her father, who was coughing up blood from tuberculosis. She also worried about her older brother, who could not afford to get married, and about the family debts, which could cost her family its land.

It was that kind of concern for her family that had led her, at the suggestion of a female cousin, to sell herself to the brothel in late 2003 and send the proceeds home.

This time, she thought about looking for work as a dishwasher in neighboring Thailand for $1.50 a day. A trafficker said he could smuggle her into Thailand and get her a dishwashing job, but only if she promised him $100.

Some 700,000 people are trafficked across international borders each year, and that's often how they end up in the sex industry: they assume debts and then, when they cannot quickly repay the money, gangs force them into brothels - where they are stuck until they are dying of AIDS.

Fortunately, I'd arranged for American Assistance for Cambodia (www.cambodiaschools.com), an aid group, to keep track of Srey Neth. It offered her something less risky: a move to Phnom Penh to learn to be a beautician. So, with money sent to the group by New York Times readers a year ago, Srey Neth started in the beauty school.

That's where I met her again. She was beaming, and she proudly told how she had learned to give manicures and haircuts. She placed third in her class in applying makeup, and she's even studying English. She bubbles with happiness in the way a teenager should.

"I'm happy with Srey Neth," said the beauty school's owner, Sapor Rendall. "She studies hard."

Ms. Rendall added that there was only one problem with Srey Neth: "She doesn't want to do massage. ... I've talked to her about it many times, but she's very reluctant."

Massages are routine in beauty shops in Cambodia and are not sexual, but for Srey Neth, they scream danger. I'm delighted.

Srey Neth cut my hair - I was her first paying customer - and she is excitedly talking about starting her own beauty shop so she can support her family again. She says she'll call it Nick and Bernie's, after me and Bernard Krisher, the chairman of American Assistance for Cambodia.

Today Srey Neth steers clear of the boys trying to flirt with her - she's still deeply distrustful of boys and men - but she has learned to laugh again. She is a happy, giggly, self-confident reminder that we should never give up on the slaves of the 21st century. I couldn't be more proud of her.

That's the good news. In my column on Saturday, I'll tell you about Srey Mom.

GG and All,

"It was that kind of concern for her family that had led her, at the suggestion of a female cousin, to sell herself to the brothel in late 2003 and send the proceeds home."

The semantics in this article (slavery) are sensationalized. The girl went to work in the brothel for a loan to support her family. This still happens all the time in Thailand in plenty of massage parlors and brothels. Shre made the choice, she recieved monies to do so, she made a contract. It's a horrible thing for her to decide to do to help her FAMILY survive, or to help her brother find the sin sot to pay for a wife, or to help pay her father's medical bills for his medicine for his TB, but right here it says SHE made the choice to enter into this sort of agreement. Where is this slavery?

Maybe later the conditions becamed forced, meaning once she was there they wouldn't let her leave when she saw the choice she made to get these monies for her family was not a good thing and she wanted to leave, but by that time I'd bet every dime given her family had been spent and she would be having to fulfill her agreement to work off the "loan". Seems there was "free choice" by her to enter into this "agreement". Maybe what we should be talking about here I why do certain countries and cultures not value their daughters enough to rather starve to death than even let their women do these sort of "agreements". Or even value them so low that they would sell their little girls to these scumbags, knowing full well what will happen to these girls. They know they are dealing with the worst sort of people in the world, the sex traffic "mafia" people. Who the fuck would do that to their own daughter, or even "let" her do it to sacrifice herself for her family?

Cent

<<<<but right here it says SHE made the choice to enter into this sort of agreement. Where is this slavery?<<<

The slavery is in the details. While maybe seemingly entering willingly, she had no choice, in the end. She did not make the choice. It was made *for* her, by circumstance. And yes...it was her own family who put her there.

HT

Cent,

Did you read my satirical parody on page 12 of this thread? Buffalo Bill even wanted to award me First Prize in the Lowborn Punters tournament.

The problem I had with Ranger?s post, ( yes, you weren?t condoning the content, simply his right to post it on the Board) is that, he being an experienced punter, he knew or should of known that their was a high probability that some of the girls in Sophies were either underaged or indentured.

If I belong to a Movie Buffs forum and its prohibited to discuss the buying of pirated movies and then I go to describe how I went to Thailand and acquired 12 titles for a buck a piece. Then I claim my ignorance about whether or not the DVDs I purchased may or may not be pirated, is it reasonable to conclude I should have know that they are pirated?

The problem I had with Ranger?s post, ( yes, you weren?t condoning the content, simply his right to post it on the Board) is that, he being an experienced punter, he knew or should of known that their was a high probability that some of the girls in Sophies were either underaged or indentured.

Ok, so we have experienced punters that know or should know about underaged or indentured sex.

For the sake of the argument, how do we know for sure that they dont indulge anyway ????

(not directed at anyone in particular)

BB

BB,

"Ok, so we have experienced punters that know or should know about underaged or indentured sex.

For the sake of the argument, how do we know for sure that they dont indulge anyway ????

(not directed at anyone in particular)"

We don't is the simple answer. Just as they could behave like the nicest guy on the board and be loved by all, but at home could be beating the wife and kids, stealing from their boss, or even be a wanted murderer on the lam. And for the sake of argument, does the fact that Cambodia has these things we do not like does that mean every guy who goes there and pulls a lady from a bar, massage parlor, disco, hotel bar, whatever mean we cannot discuss these trips and this subject at all within the framework of the board rules in place here, whereas these same things do go on in Thailand, and please don't tell me "not in the farang oriented places" because while this is now to a much lesser extent and not so "open" as it was ten years ago, it does still happen in Thailand. Shall we also not discuss anything about P4P in Thailand too, because this happens, and/or because some members may actually be into it and doing something we would find abhorrent?

This is an adult board with adult themes and we need to work to find the best way to discuss these things. This doesn't mean harrassment and outright attacking of any member who posts something we think shouldn't be on here. That's KS's job to decide and the moderators, anonymous or not.

So, having mods that do not go to Cambodia for P4P in the forum and moderating it is totally absurd. You need someone who can at least know a bit about this stuff, recently has been there and been to the type of establishments we all pulled from, including yourself. Looking for Sanuk, not underage and indentured. Posters/members should not have to be berated and harrassed by one or two people who were there five years ago and deliberately looked for the underbelly of the scene and has since then, never going back there to refresh his information about the place, formed an opinion on outdated information that every venue in Cambodia or anywhere is about these subjects.

If there is some problem with a post by a member that someone sees it should be brought to KS's attention or the mods, for them to deal with in the way KS decides is best. Not by a lynch mob. Ranger's post could have had two or three sentences edited by KS or a mod and the post would have been fine and not tiptoed or ever come close to crossing the boundry of the rules here. He said himself he coukld not decide if indentured or not, maybe bullshit from the ladies, maybe not. He never said he went there for underage or indentured women. That line should maybe have been deleted/edited, but if it was then everyone would think there was no indentured or underage there, right? We are adults and this place is here for information exchange so we can make decisions for ourselves within the rules set up. When this stuff happens the rules and regulations and borderlines need to be examined and tweaked and changed like we both did when we were mods. You know the drill and how it was done. I doubt this has changed, and KS I would bet is still the final word and makes the decisions in the end, as it always was before.

What I say and think is that problems like this should be PMed to KS or the mods off the board as soon as someone sees a problem, so it can be evaluated and dealt with by the "authorities", not done by a few who attack the poster to drive them off from posting anything the others do not like, on the OPEN board. That is not the way to handle this stuff. It ruins good threads and causes arguments that spill over into a bunch of other threads and pretty soon there is a war going between factions. It DOES become stalking and harrassment, makes threads get closed down (which sometimes IS/was the purpose of the attacks by certain people, to get a thread they don't like/agree with closed down, not a good way to do this)which you must agree is not what we want on here.

Cent

Archived