Introduction forum?

khunsanuk

Hi,

Have been discussing this with the Mods, but figured I'd ask for input here as well. Do you think it would be a good idea to add an Introduction forum where newbies can get their feet wet?

The forum could be used to introduce oneself, ask a question or 2 and will obviously need to be moderated rather strictly to prevent people scaring them away with wisecracks or insults. In other words, no question is too stupid, even if it has been asked 20 times already.

Sanuk!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not? Kinda like orientation period before getting thrown in with the general population.

On second thought, maybe not a good idea. Didn't we all have to through "baptism of fire" to some extent? When you make your first post you really don't know what the response will be and so you might choose your "introductory" post with a little thoughtfulness. Some times I can't believe what some people will put on the board in post #1, and of course, they will be judged on that first post.

Maybe a better idea to put together a short "guide to posting" of some kind. I just went back and read the Board Rules and there is a lot there that describes what a poster cannot do but not much in the way of guidance or things to keep in mind when making your first post.

Maybe a section on "getting your feet wet" that would explain that a lot of ribbing occurs on this board and that many posters here cannot resist the temptation to be ironic or sarcastic, and will post a humorous reply whenever given half a chance, not to worry just keep going, use the smilies, etc. It would seem obvious, but until you post you really don't know what to expect.

HT: Dedicated moderation is the key there, IMO. If you have the resource for that, then I think will go good

Whole heartedly agree with HT on above. I don't personally think there is any 'baptism of fire' here, as far as people jumping on newbie posters goes. Honestly, if a newbie posts what may be concieved as a silly question, he doesn't generally be made to look stupid, most of the time somebody explains the situation to him, and recommends he does a search...

BUT

I think if there was a newbie forum/intro forum, newbies' fears of looking silly would dissapate and 'lurkers' would be less fearful of making that first post.

we are always extremely patient with newbies and also seriously answer the most stupid and already 30 times asked questions.........also in the normal forums!

could i also go in there and ask a innocent question? is like entering a Patpong bar and pretending to be a virgin and not speaking Thai at all!

Archived