Anyone Know A Good Italian Deli in BKK?

jxxxl

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Old Hippie said:

I seem to recall seeing Coppa and mortadella over there...Forget where, I want to say in the case near the cold single beers at foodland Soi 5, and or tops...can anyone confirm?

I'll stagger over to Foodland tonight and report back.

Hi jxxxl,

Let me know next time that you'll be in Samui and I'll show you the place. They do great sandwiches, bake their own bread and excellent pizzas.

They just moved to a new adress and I will post about them in the review section.

jxxxl said:

Sarisin, I'd kill for a good hogie out here - good business idea for anyone interested. I'll bet if you opened a cheese steak shop on Suk you'd make a killing off the late night pissheads, and put a serious dent in subway's business.

:) Ah, cheesesteaks are really a Philly, or at least a US (East Coast mostly) phenomenon. Folks from elsewhere in the world are not interested and the Thais, fuhgedditboutit.

Actually, there was a place called Philly-Thai in the basement of the Ploenchit Center that sold cheesesteaks. They weren't bad, but small and not cheap. I could eat a half-dozen at a sitting comparably to one Geno's or Pat's cheesesteak.

Plus, no Cheez-Whiz. :(

I go by the Subway on Suk not far from the Phrom Pong BTS and it looks like it is always packed. I think they are doing quite well.

Opening a good cheesesteak/hoagie joint would be dependant on the availability of the ingredients, particularly the rolls/bread and as you brought up in this topic good meats and cheese. Fresh vegetables too.

One reason I head back to New Jersey twice a year is to enjoy these delightful sandwiches.

Now, what I really want to introduce to Thailand is...Scrapple. :grinyes:

"...Now, what I really want to introduce to Thailand is...Scrapple..."

Do you realize, no one here knows what the hell that is? unless of course they've been to Philly or Lancaster county PA.

Cheesesteaks, yes, worked at a distant cousin's pizza shop for awhile...made the steaks, hoagies etc...tough work.

Pat's Geno's...yeah, actually met Pat "The King of Steaks" Olivari, the creater of the Philly cheese steak. Frankly, I think the best ones are had elsewhere...the smaller neighbor hood places.

The cheapest easiest ingredients to be had is the meat and the onions...bread could be had I suppose, there is decent, but not great bread in BKK...the cheese would have to be imported, and would be expensive...a set up similar to the hambirger guy would work...provided the humidity wouldn't ruin the bread...

limbo said:

Can finally somebody explain what a Philly steak is? Been reading and following this thread for a while, but have no idea what a Philly steak is.

It is more of a state of mind than food. From Pat's King of Steaks website:

The Original Pat's King of Steaks® Philadelphia Cheese Steak recipe

For all the people who can not get to South Philadelphia to get the Original. here is the recipe for you home chefs. Serves 4

Ingredients

24oz thin sliced rib eye or eye roll steak

6 table spoons of Soya bean oil

Cheese {we recommend Cheez Whiz®} American or Provolone works fine

4 crusty Italian Rolls

1 large Spanish onion

Sweet green and red peppers sautéed in oil (optional)

Mushrooms sautéed in oil (optional)

Assembly

Heat an iron skillet or a non stick pan over medium heat. Add 3 table spoons of oil to the pan and sauté the onions to desired doneness. Remove the onions, add the remaining oil and sauté the slices of meat quickly on both sides. Melt the Cheez Whiz® in a double boiler or in the microwave. Place 6oz. of the meat into the rolls. Add onions, and pour the Cheez Whiz® over top. Garnish with hot or fried sweet peppers, mushrooms, ketchup. Put on the theme song to the first Rocky movie and enjoy!

These steaks suck!! True, Pat Oliveri supposedly invented the staeak sandwich, philly style, these are among the worst, the skimpyest and most expensive...

Use ribeye, OLIVE oil, onions, Cooper sharp cheese, or any non "process" "crap cheese." A good italian roll, toss it on the grill, shred up the meat as it cooks with forks, toss in some mushrooms if you want, arrange it, put the cheese on, cover with the roll, let steam melt the cheese for a second or 10, then flip with a large spatuchula...a good assembler can do this in one move, with out dropping any...top with ketchup or condiments as desired...trust me, Pat's sucks! Geno's across the street is a bit better...but tons of places are much better!!

I think I have eaten enough cheesesteaks to sink a freighter, and, you know what? I enjoyed just about every one.

Pat's, Geno's, the neighborhood guy (mine is a place called Fast Eddie's in Haddon Heights, NJ), even Steak-Umms - I liked 'em all.

Nothing says Philadelphia or the Delaware Valley more than a cheesesteak. Pretty sad, huh? It is really the definitive food for the area.

Yes, Pat's and Geno's are not the best, but, man, it is the atmosphere and the circumstances that take you there. After a ballgame at the Spectrum or the 'Vet, with a date (probably with Gina or Rita from S. Philly), or a break from an all-nighter to study for that Comparative Anatomy exam. Those places have character and evoke memories - they are not just places to ingest slop and increase your LDL.

Actually, OH, I like your recipe too, but remember as long as it vaguely resembles a cheesesteak, I'm there. I have even eaten them here at Subway. ::

Archived