Stickman this week regarding violence .

jitagawn

Insulting, belligerent behavior could and should have consequences, maybe even nasty ones. But the sorts of incidents being described in this thread often seem to be either random in nature or cases where the punishment is way out of proportion to the supposed crime.

Thais committing random violence should be locked up or worse. In the same vein, farangs who are belligerent for no reason are not victims if they get beat up or hit over the head. They "get what they deserve". That is, a guy acting like an asshole puts himself in play and will not get my sympathy when someone plays back. There is no such thing as a response that is "out of proportion". Him who fuck alound too mutt get jep - Confucius

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MaiLuk said:a guy acting like an asshole puts himself in play and will not get my sympathy when someone plays back. There is no such thing as a response that is "out of proportion".

You mean like getting beaten up to death for calling people "assholes"?

And can I shoot the next Thai who steals from me?

Sorry for me?

-------------------------

my sentence was towards anyone who saw nothing good for them, about being amongst thais, save sex, not really pointedly at you.

I have travelled a lot around thailand, more than anyone here i am sure, and with a camera (nerver had a problem shooting people, smiles, not frowns or smirks). I do not travel sheltered in a bus tour. Riding, walking, always on my own and in many countries, this would expose myself to a lot of troubles.

Prozal told me in Brazil, he gives a few bucks to the doorman in clubs, in case trouble arises. This thought has never occured to me in thailand, and if people had such an undercurrent of racism against farangs, I'd know it by now and from all the guys i know who live there (BTW, Carew's problems were a case of mistaken identity). As simple as that.

Instead, people invite me to parties, to celebrations, and they are not the upper crust. I find some idiocy sometimes, especially when the mekhong has flown, but I act like thais do, ie "live and let live". I am sure there are some frangs who get on their wrong side, it's not me, maybe it's good karma, but most here will say it was their good karma they came to know a place called Thailand. Just I agree not to call it paradise, because it ain't.

MaiLuk said:

>>And can I shoot the next Thai who steals from me?<<

Up 2 u ::

Let's try to be more clear, the both of us: can I according to your morals shoot the next Thai who steals from me?

In the west (well in the US) if you shoot someone, it is a defense if they were robbing you.

I have lived there and I haven't realized barowners are legally shooting down or beating their customers to death when they refuse to pay...

Moreover, you have conveniently forgot to answer the all important question: can I (with my mates) beat up to death Thais who abuse me verbally?

Hi figjam,

I am sure both these things happen from time to time in the seedier bars/areas in USA, UK, Germany, Italy, Nigeria, China,.......

That is not to say it is "morally right", but shit happens. I doubt it is legal, but where are laws enforced 100%, especially in the less desireable areas of .... anywhere?

One incident proves nothing.

Khwai

khwaimaisabai said:Hi figjam,

I am sure both these things happen from time to time in the seedier bars/areas in USA, UK, Germany, Italy, Nigeria, China,.......

That is not to say it is "morally right", but shit happens.

Khwai, reread this and the other thread about the man sent to ICU because he refused to pay for a couple of bottles he had allegedly broken and you will find plenty of people who say that's morally right and justifiable. Like the evading MaiLuk.

I doubt it is legal, but where are laws enforced 100%, especially in the less desireable areas of .... anywhere?

For the umpteenth time: it can happen anywhere (although in some places is MUCH more likely to happen) but you see the difference between USA, UK, Germany, Italy and Nigeria, China, Thailand ONCE it has happened...

One incident proves nothing.

In Thailand the most common response to violent verbal altercations or when money and face are involved is a savagely violent and possibly deadly sudden rat pack physical attack.

pattaya127 said:

Prozal told me in Brazil, he gives a few bucks to the doorman in clubs, in case trouble arises.

True. Yet ONLY in places where tourists have absolutly no reasons to go, except people who have the same careless curiosity (or stupidity) as me. Like the 'bailes funk' of Rio's northern suburbs, where rival gangs sometimes meet to 'resolve' their problems, or the sleazy afterhours discos of Sao Paulo' s Centro, where many favelas druglords and their clique are regulars. That's all. Yet even in the most rough areas of the amazonia's wild west cities, I've never felt unsafe in a disco or a bar in Brasil.

In Brasil, when the locals understand that you have the same interests as them, that is beer and bundas (asses) ::, they IMMEDIATLY relax and open up. Violence is ABSOLUTLY not in their schedule. If you enjoy mixing with brasilians, drink beer, flirt and dance, even if it's in some poor and rough environments that might give adrenaline rushes, you don't have to feel NO anxiety. Brasilians don't have a violent nature, and 99% of them are funloving and VERY friendly with foreigners.

Anyway just compare the two national sports : capoeira in Brasil and thai boxing in Thailand ; which one reveals an aggressive and violent nature ?

:: :neener::grinyes:

:up:

Khwai, reread this and the other thread about the man sent to ICU because he refused to pay for a couple of bottles he had allegedly broken and you will find plenty of people who say that's morally right and justifiable. Like the evading MaiLuk.
It is amazing how some posters here are bending over backwards to avoid responding to this point when it is stated in such clear terms.

And here is something else to mull over: the "I wasn't there, but the Farang must have done something to deserve it" crowd are not only assuming a dubious set of facts, but they are necessarily taking this moral position. To arrive at the conclusion that the Farang "had it coming", they must necessarily adopt the position that lethal force is justified when there is dispute over who is responsible for a couple of broken whiskey bottles.

And what does that tell us about the credibility of this crowd generally? How can any reasonable person trust the judgement of anyone who holds such extreme views?

More troubling, we know what camp the authorities fall into on this question. And then we get to the question of double standards. Would they do still fall into this camp if the roles were reversed, and a Farang put a Thai into ICU under these circumstances? Apparantly we are not supposed to ask these sorts of questions; very impolite.

Archived