Thai plane blows tyre in Oz

chuckwoww

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
suadum said:

Interesting. I fly that route a lot. I wonder when they started using an A340. It used to be MD11 (TG981) or 747 (TG993).

Of course, the MD11s are older than dirt and maybe Thai are replacing them?

TG has only 2 aircrafts of this type A340-600; they use it for routes to Tokyo, Switzerland, Spain and Italy, NOT for Melbourne. but strange aircraft rotations are common for TG!

the aircrafts are in use since around mid year.

i had the pleasure to be twice in biz class on this plane so far and seats and entertainment system are superb in comparison to the usual biz class in TG!!!!

pretty sure the md-11's are getting the flick, aparently they're old as fuck. The news report said "Brand new airbus" - but surely it flew a few test flights.

My dad used to work at air traffic control, and says blow outs are quite common, especially as (OH will agreee) costs are cut throughout the airline industry.

Ya, their MD-11 fleet is at least 13 years old. From thai-aviation.net:

(tail number) HS-TMD, s/n 48416, (1st registered) 27-Jun-91 to Thai Airways International Co Ltd [Don Muang]; "Phra Nakhon"; jumped chocks & skidded into A300 HS-THO at Don Muang 22-Oct-94, out of service until at least Jul-95; new scheme Jul-05; current Aug-05

HS-TME, s/n 48417, 15-Jul-91 to Thai Airways International Co Ltd [Don Muang]; "Pathum Wan"; current Aug-05

HS-TMF, s/n 48418, 02-Jul-92 to Thai Airways International Co Ltd [Don Muang]; "Phichit"; current Aug-05

HS-TMG, c/n 48451, 02-Aug-92 to Thai Airways International Co Ltd [Don Muang]; "Nakhon Sawan"; stored at Phoenix / Williams Gateway, Az. 2001; re-entered service; current Aug-05

Cheers,

SD

Thanks for the Thai aviation link.

Have never flown the A340 on Thai but on other airlines the buisness class is the best.

A friend said to me today- here in California- that most MD-11 are being converted to frieghters right now and that Thai will most likely get rid of theirs fairly soon.

"...My dad used to work at air traffic control, and says blow outs are quite common, especially as (OH will agreee) costs are cut throughout the airline industry..."

Yeah, fairly common, and usually not the cause of a major disaster, except the Concorde, and a few others...but yeah, as they look to cut costs, they will keep using tires "one more time" and pushing variable limits. They will also maybe start using recapped tires again...anything to save a buck...but hey, you're saving $40 what do you care...?

Recapped tyres.. not sure if it's true, but there was a commercial on tv some years back, for retreads (recapped tyres), their selling pitch was that jumbos land on (their?) retreads. It was a reputable tyre company, like Goodyear or Dunlop (same co anyway).

Not sure if it still/ever did happen though. As long as they're safe, no probs.

Dad says generally only 1 tyre would blow, or was it 2? but since there are so many on there it usually wasn't a problem.

Archived