Welcome to paradise........maybe

Bembaman

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

Are you aware of theat many of the baht taxis in Pattaya are owned by police officers. About 15 years ago a bloke that I knew was attacked by a baht taxi driver and had his leg broken with a tire iron. There were many witnesses, both Thai and farang, and they had the number of the taxi. The police response was that there there is no taxi with this number in Pattaya. This bloke was not a farang, he was Thai, but that didn't help him in this case.

I have seen so many people acting like arseholes in in Pattaya. I have also been one myself but never been hurt during 20+ years. People who get hurt have often caused it themselves even if they are not aware of it. Also the pictures do not suggest that the German was seriouslu injured.

regards

ALHOLK

You think Rio is all sweetness and light? I had a good time there but first night a guy was shot on a Copacabana street corner by cops right across from me (didn't pay for some groceries apparently). The katois on Atlantica are some of the meanest you'll ever meet and don't ever mess with a gang of street kids anywhere in that city. Arguing with taxi drivers there not a good idea either. :)

sure there's lots of new buildings everywhere....big deal...underneath it's totally same same.

----------------------------------

well, actually humonguous urbanization does make the place more like a big city, that in itself will not make the place safer if it wasn't before.

How anyone could live or retire there really beats me. I's O.K. for a 24 hour visit every year or so, but not much more.

--------------------------------

aha, that'what i think of NEP, 24 minutes though! :)

New petchaburi is retired there, so are a few others, like luckyfarang, just to speak of members here,I hear no complaining from them, and in my book, they are pretty decent guys.

Then we have other members who can't bear the thought of living a few weeks or more with their GF, in Bangkok, since they are on vacation, and they met her in Pattaya, moreover.

Personally, If we put down Pattaya for violence and P4P hang-outs, might as well do it with BKK too. I would not put down any of these places or the Islands though, each one finds what he wants in them and if a guy digs Pattaya, other than knowing what he's talking about, i trust he has good reasons to.

All i can say is that reading this board, BKK P4P is a lot more mercenary, the girls more expensive and the bar stool brigade is constantly reminding us it's just about fucking, then pay them to leave.... More R&R than vacation, but that's OK, something for everyone's tastes.

Pattaya v Bangkok the perpetually recurring question that will never have people agreeing.

IMHO based on my own experiences I'd have to say that I find myself siding with OP. I was working on a contract in Eastern Seaboard circa 91-93 and when the contract finished I decided (like many people do) to keep Pattaya as "Home Base" whilst off on contracts in Middle East etc.

We lived on Soi Bongkot just off third road and in the early days it was a semi-idyllic life but around '97 I noticed things starting to deteriorate, culminating in 99 by being woken up at 3AM with a Yaba Crazed knife wielding maniac stood at the foot of the bed and that was the final straw for me and moved to BKK.

Up until earlier this year, I could count on one hand the number of times I had visited Pattaya in the interim years and have left equaly unimpressed on each occasion.

Now, because of work commitments, I yet again find myself spending quite a bit of time in the area, weeknights down there and weekends back home in BKK, and to be honest I cannot wait to get back to BKK every friday.

If you were to make comparions between the two purely on P4P merits then Pattaya may have the edge, but since this thread is in General Discussions and not Nightlife it is only fair to compare the overall lifestyle merits of the two places and not just concentrate on one specific.

Maybe I am getting old, maybe my requirements and Agenda have changed over the years, but from my personal perspective Bangkok has a lot more going for it than Pattaya, but this is on my take on it based on my experiences.

To you Guys who love Pattaya, long may it remain the place you percieve it to be, no one is right or wrong we each have our own opinions on the places and should respect differances of opinion because it is their decision and their life.

To you Guys who love Pattaya, long may it remain the place you percieve it to be, no one is right or wrong we each have our own opinions on the places and should respect differances of opinion because it is their decision and their life.

-----------------------------

exactly. I like BKK, but i like it having to do precise things there, not just hanging out.

Also, for many people, Pattaya is not about perception, they just liked the place, for whatever CONCRETE reason, without purporting it is safe as a kindergarten either (not sure why liking a place is like saying it's super safe ::).

You may remember a few weeks ago, it was BKK which was deemed worse than Rio. So, this recurring debate is mostly about someone wanting to take it out of his system having witnessed an unsavoury situation. Fine, I understand, but why him realizing that makes others wearing rose-tinted glasses? not everyone is at the same stage of his knowledge of the city, some have known what he's saying for years, but still dig the place.

I dunno, hard to be naive about the place if you have stayed there more than a month, but that's me....

I noticed that the op has Pattaya for location, under his name. I think it would be nice of him to tell us if he wishes to leave the place or if, like just about anyone staying aynwhere in Thailand, he has more reasons to stay there than leave, and where, if so? The way i read it, it's not about wearing rose-tinted galsses anyone, but having a problem of his own about Pattaya and not being happy living there (according to the loc again).

Archived