Elephant Festa in Surin

Nervous_Dog said:

<<as a KS wanna be, you mean outside atrocious spelling / typing? >>

KS long ago stopped trying to moderate bad splelin

4800 post does not make a poster interesting......flappable but not interesting! Run that count up and joint the

!)(*&^%$#@! crew

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH,

Not actually *in* Buriram, about 30 kms outside of town at Satuk. More like half way between Buriram and Surin.

Actually, come to think of it, it might be closer to 10 kms or on the other hand could be around 23 kms....Arghhhh farked if I know, I'm just a newbie....bring a tape measure will ya. :)

Maybe you could set up the run way for Drag races (pick up style) as it seems that nothing flys there anymore.

Watch out for the old "retired" Katoeys around Surin. There's one in particular that sells noodles at the market. Not exactly attractive but gives the best Pad Thai in town...LOL... Just be sure to wear some appropriate clothing and everything will be fine :D :: :D

(can't catch anything from chop sticks, can you????)

OH,

Before the experts jump in and tell me I'm a F#@&wit, yes there is an Airport in Surin as well. I was aware of it, but I've never used it. I think about 4 or 5 years ago they had flights in / out a couple of times a week, but everytime I've tried to use it, there was an issue with time tables. Buriram was the only viable option (for me)

Suadum,

Wrong sir! :) Sis informed me yesterday that one airline has again started service from BKK into the Surin airport. She doesn't know which airline as yet, and she did not say it was a temporary service, so maybe, maybe not. Air Andaman used to service Surin through a BKK-Korat-Surin flight 4 days a week (I think it was Mon., Wed., Frid., & Sat. if I remember right.) Was about 1,400 baht one way I think. The return flight was a straight no stop Surin-BKK. Was very convenient. They stopped these flights a while back, maybe a year ago or so, due to losing money they said. Don't know how, as the flights were basically full every time I was on them and must have covered the fuel and employee costs and landing fees, with more to spare as profit. But, thems the breaks.

But you can also go to Burirum on a couple different airlines as well, and get picked up by Moi at the Burirum Airport for a ride to Surin and your hotel, to later drink and party and see the Chang Festival. (Service provided to good friends only, as it is nearly an hour each way drive from Surin to Burirum. Hey, what're friends for?) Our mutual friend Magicman visited me this way a while back. And enjoyed the terrifying ride back to Surin in a dignified manner. Not one peep, and he didn't stain my carseat fabric! :: :D

Cent

DaKine,

Yeah, Phuket Air did stop the Burirum service, but I thought there was another airline still servicing Burirum? May be wrong. But was told by sis-in-law yesterday there will be air service to Surin before the Elephant Festival. No idea yet though which airlines.

Any one having more info please pipe up and let us know.

Cent

Cent said:

Air Andaman used to service Surin through a BKK-Korat-Surin flight 4 days a week

I seem to recall that the brain surgeons that ran that airline stopped that flight a couple of weeks before the Huffalump festival a couple of years ago. That had to be the silliest move ever!!! :doah:

Good to hear about the flight, but nobody seems to have any details, so I will be skeptical until the details are confirmed. Afterall, TIT :D. And no airline has any details on its website yet. But again, TIT and they will probably update their site November 20th after the festival and temporary flights are over LOL!

I will not make it up for the Elephant thingie as it is also Loy Kratong time and I have family stuff to do then. But maybe sometime in December and I will take up the pick up offer at Buriram (if the Surin flight does not materialise) as I do not relish six hour bus rides!

Cheers,

SD

DaKine,

Yeah, the festival starts on the 18th, Friday, as the feeding of the elephants show gets underway that evening in an area of the city by the Surin King's statue by the rotary and Wat Pond. Tons of elephants. Saturday the 19th there is a parade and another elephant feeding, pics ops, etc. and a show at the stadium. Sat. night there is also a big cultural show behind the boxing stadium which is interesting and fun. Sunday is the final elephant stadium show. The good tix for the best seats for the stadium shows are around 300, 500 and 800 baht. VIP area across from the rabble seating. :) It's a good time and good to see at least once. I've been to 3 or 4 now, so it's a bit blase for me now, but the kids love it and there are always great girl-watching opportunities. ::

Hotels tend to fill up quick for this weekend, but they did just open a brand new hotel, so I'd think there must still be some rooms available, at least in the smaller older hotels around the city. New hotel is The Surin Majestic, another good one is The Thong Tarin Hotel, also the pricier more tourist oriented Petchkasem Hotel downtown. I have some contact info for all of these, as well as a few smaller hotels if anyone would like it.

Cent

Hi Cent,

Maybe this is really good news (I hate the fucking train)

If you have a spare minute, could you please check out who is flying into Surin and if the service will continue after the elephant festival.

Would greatly appreciate any info you can uncover, especially for December / first week Jan re: timetables etc (and airline contacts.)

Will be glad to repay the favour with the odd drink or 6 when I hit town.

Cheers :beer:

Archived