Are you an alcoholic?

yfs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an interesting piece in The Nation a few weeks back about alcoholism amongst ex-pats here and a young (ish) Australian guy said something that has stuck in my mind ever since.

If you'll allow me to paraphrase: He said that if you are worrying about alcoholism then it's a fair bet that you are already having problems; 'normal' people don't think about aloholism.

Trust me, I spend a lot of time thinking about it.

No smart arse rejoinders purleeze...

yfsman - you know what just sccared me, I htought - silly question, fucking silly choices, the bloke who wrote this is anti drink.

Then I thought again, not silly questions, maybe I have a problem and not want to admit - not alcoholic, but not wanting to stop drinking eather, It is a crutch that I love.

Hmmm

DOG

I voted "Yes, But not Worried" not a Cavalier couldn't care less attitude but an honest appraisal.

Up until recently I was not worried, but that was because alcohol had taken control and I could not see away from the party in the bottle long enough to relise how it was affecting me.

I stopped drinking one day about 4-5 months ago, now going from 1-2 bottles of spirits and at least a gallon of beer a day for the last who knows how many years to Zilch was a shock to the system, but the "Booze or Me" ultimatium from the Mrs was the wake up call.

I went about 5 weeks dry and 1 Saturday we were out for lunch and she got me a beer, I was suprised, her attitude was "No need to STOP just 2-3 hours a day, not every waking hour", which seemed like a fair compromise.

As others say, they enjoy a couple of drinks and often question themselves am I or Aren't I alcoholic, which to me is a sign of being in control, its the ones who are not concerned have the higher probability of the ones actualy falling into the clutches in my opinion / experiences.

I tell myself all the time I am an Alcoholic, and it is because of that I can now enjoy alcohol in a way that does not interfere with other aspects of my life, and that is why now I am not worried for all the right reasons

I drink, therefore I am.

I fuck, therefore I am.

Thus explains my love affair with Thailand.

The 2 lightweights who ticked off Yes and Worried About it: I will loan you a gun to shot yourselves.

Archived