Are you an alcoholic?

yfs

I think before answering the question everyone should be clear as to what an alcoholic is.

I always thought of it as someone who not only drank way too much every day but who also had to have alcohol, e.g., having a drink first thing in the morning. I therefore never considered myself to be an alcoholic.

However the dictionary definition I have of an alcoholic is "A person who drinks alcoholic substances habitually and to excess or who suffers from alcoholism".

This indicates two different criteria for being classified as an alcoholic:

1. Drinking habitually and to excess, or

2. Suffering from alcoholism

1. Drinking habitually and to excess

I drink too much and sometimes to excess, especially when I'm on holiday in LOS, and I would say that over the years having a drink has become a bit of a habit. Therefore does that classify me as an alcoholic under criteria No. 1?

2. Suffering from alcoholism

So what is alcoholism. Again my dictionary definition is "A disorder characterized by the excessive consumption of and dependence on alcoholic beverages, leading to physical and psychological harm and impaired social and vocational functioning".

I don't depend on alcohol, as I can do without it if I so choose, so I wouldn't consider myself to be an alcoholic under criteria No. 2.

So because of my perception of what an alcoholic was I never considered myself to be one but based on the above I may be an alcoholic under criteria No.1.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The_Munchmaster said:

I don't depend on alcohol, as I can do without it

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:wave:

I might have guessed you'd come up with something like this Teddy, after all you've never made a single serious contribution to any topic on the board. If I was KS I'd remove your response as it's surely not appropriate to what is a very serious topic! :nono:

P.S. What were you saying at lunchtime about getting the heebie jeebies every time you have a night off the wine?

Munchmaster:

Munchmaster has stated it correctly.

The key word is "DEPENDENCE".

Alcoholism is an illness marked by consumption of alcoholic beverages at a level that interferes with physical or mental health, and social, family, or occupational responsibilities. Alcholoism is divided into 2 categories: dependence and abuse.

People with alcohol dependence, the most severe alcohol disorder, usually experience tolerance and withdrawal. Tolerance is a need for markedly increased amounts of alcohol to achieve intoxication or the desired effect. Withdrawal occurs when alcohol is discontinued or intake is decreased. Alcohol dependents spend a great deal of time drinking alcohol, and obtaining it.

Alcohol abusers are "problem drinkers", that is, they may have legal problems, such as drinking and driving, or binge drinking (drinking 6 or more drinks on one occasion). People who are dependent on or abuse alcohol return to its use despite evidence of physical or psychological problems. Those with dependence have more severe problems and a greater compulsion to drink.

Although I am not an expert on this subject, I did work as an Intake Technician at an Alcoholic Recovery Center. Case after case, person after person, were in DENIAL. "It's not me". "It's the other guy" that has the drinking problem.

One patient, a well dressed middle aged business man was forced to come to clinic by his wife. He emphatically claimed he was not an alcoholic. He readily admitted to drinking two six packs after work each day, every day, though. He never got "drunk" was his story.

Case after case, person after person, I witnessed lives destroyed. Jobs lost. Marriages lost. Children not speaking to drinker.

I think the original posting survey should have asked: Do you think that you have a "drinking problem"? Or, "Do you think that alcohol is adversly affecting your life or your health"?

Sadly, there will be many joksters responding here. Good luck to them. As they, too, are probably in denial.

CSD,

You put that across very well.

Unfortunatley from a "Poacher Turned Gamekeeper" perspective I can emphasise with the (IMHO) blase comments made, I was the same for over 20 years, but I reiterate the statement I made previously its the guys who don't question their habits who are more liable to find it having a detramental affect in the future.

If Alcohol was to proffered before and Food and Drugs agency in the West now it would be Class A (UK Coding) up there with your Opiates, pshycobillins Coca and Hi THC Strains of the Stavia plant ... its a drug same as the rest, but respective goverments make substantial incomes on Alcohol Tax, and then re-invest it into health care for the victims.

At the end of the day though, I adjust my lifestyle for my own reasons, but who am I or others to question alternative opinions, right and wrong exists in your own understanding not how people tell you who / what you should be

I can stop drinking for a while, a week at a time, sometimes even for a month or so at a time. But not a day goes by that I do not think about drinking. Not a day goes by that I do not crave alcohol, so am I an alcoholic?

When I drink, I am a binge drinker, drinking to excess, drinking until I pass out. No, I can not stop at one or two drinks.

I get into periods, where almost every waking moment of every day is spent tipsy, if not drunk. Or, I am relatively sober for only about 6 hours a day. I function. A functional alcoholic?

A week, two weeks, a month at a time. I am drinking, but can not fall asleep without drinking more. When I finally pass out, I wake up several times in the night, drinking more, trying to go back to sleep. I'll drink several drinks at 4am or 4:30, pass out again until I have to get up at 6 or 7am. I am, nonetheless, drunk during the morning. Then, I'll start drinking again around 3 or 4 in the afternoon at the earliest or around 6 or 7pm. This kind of cycle continues for several weeks, and weekends or days off are spent drinking all morning and all day.

As I don't drive a car-- I am lucky that I do not have to worry about drink driving.

I am off drink now, sober for 10 days in a row.

Am I an alcoholic?

I'm not being a smart-arse. It's a legitimate offer. If you are worried, then you should either get help or you should kill yourself. I don't see any sense in remaining mired in an in-between.

Archived