New board preview

khunsanuk

Hi,

As some of you probably already know we have a version of the new message board software running on a test server. I've been playing around with it a bit and have started work on the stylesheet / graphics.

Figured I'd give you guys a peek.

Comments are obviously welcome and the design (style & colors) is certainly not set in stone.

Main forum index page

Thread list page

Thread display page, with poll

Sanuk!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Color clash is nightmarish, but surely customizable. I don't like the double grids around every cell; chews up a lot of vertical and horizontal space and breaks up the flow making it harder to scan. I think a more subtle alternating gray watermark in the row like google groups is much cleaner.

Hi,

Solo1mick:

"Will the change over be instant or will the server be down for a few days?"

I would guess that the board will likely be shut down for several hours at least. We will need to import 400,000 posts, which will take some time.

"Also will old content on this server example picture, reviews and old threads be transfered to new server software?"

Yes.

Neo:

"Color clash is nightmarish"

Agree, it takes a bit of getting used to :)

As I said, open to suggestions though. A comment I heard often about the current color scheme is that it is too blue, which is why I want to introduce a second color to offset the blue a bit.

"I don't like the double grids around every cell;"

Hmm, matter of taste I suppose. I actually kinda like it.

Sanuk!

"We will need to import 400,000 posts, which will take some time."

You may want to consider converting some of the very old threads well in advance of going live, to reduce how long you'll be down. Although it's true that someone might later reply to a very old thread that you've already converted over, and that reply would subsequently be lost when you go live, the odds of that would seem pretty slim to me.

Just a thought...

Archived