New board preview

khunsanuk

Hi,

"but why change?"

Easy, the software we are using now is no longer supported, no more improvements, no more bugfixes. Ever.

On top of that it is more and more choking the server due to code that isn't optimized as much as it should be.

As for the looks, this is exactly why I am asking people for their input. Of course (as usual) I have yet to see any suggestions on color schemes and other ways of improving the design. Please keep in mind that I am a techie, not a designer. The design that is on the version on the test server is pretty much an unaltered default skin. Obviously this needs changing.

Suprised though that you do not like the way the new board works; I too have been using it for quite some time (their devboard, www.fusionbb.com) and I quite like it. I also do not consider it that much different in how it works compared to this one. Very similar actually.

I am certain that everybody will feel right at home within a week or 2 of using it.

Anyway, contrary how this post may read :), I do appreciate the feedback.

Sanuk!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

shygye:

"For ideas on color schemes, look at fabric swatches used for curtains, furniture or clothes."

Thanks, but I do not have access to those. One of the colors has been established already though, I want to keep the dark blue we have in the current color scheme. So, the other color (colors?) need to 'fit' with iit.

"I like this color scheme for Firefox, BlackJapan "

Looks good, but I do not think I want a website in black and white :)

enigma:

"Does the new board offer any capability for user-defined color schemes, beyond the stuff you choose to "lockdown?" "

It allows users to switch between stylesheets which are available on the system. However, I do not want people to change the default stylesheet.

Sanuk!

As an old guy with declining eyesight, I give you credit for using contrasting colors. These days it takes a certain amount of guts to use black or text on white background (blue on gray or sliver is cool but not as easy to read.).

Thank you for keeping the layout clean and high contrast.

My bet is that the new FusionBB will be a worthy replacement choice and that over a short period of time, will look great, the equal of what we are seeing now. All forum skins/templates begin by looking a bit bland to begin with, but much like an operating system, they're designed to be tweakable for that desired look, the previews really should only be seen as previewing functions and basic styling, a new header, a new footer, colour changes, css changes, a few new graphics here and there and it will look just dandy.

Will you be providing the + and - sign to the left of each of the 'main' forums same as at present --- i.e. will we be able to close a main forum if for example we are not interested in the particular forum.

If I may I would like to suggest that the forums within a main forum group should also have the + and - signs so that if we don't normally look at a sub group we could close it.

Hope I'm making myself clear.

What my suggestion might achieve is having less forums or sub forums on display at any one time.

The style of the current board is a little bit old fashioned, but it is the most functional and best organized board I know.

But as mentioned before the new color scheme is terrible and a step back IMHO. In my eyes it looks amateurish and it is certainly not on the same level as the content and the structure...

::

If you intend to stick to the blue color I would suggest to find a more pleasant second color instead of orange. How about sticking to grey or another similar 'reduced' color?

Hi,

Hamokhamok:

"Will you be providing the + and - sign to the left of each of the 'main' forums same as at present"

Yes, FusionBB has this functionality.

kamui:

"But as mentioned before the new color scheme is terrible and a step back IMHO."

Like I said before, the color scheme in the screenshots is a default skin that comes with the program.

Sanuk!

Archived