IT Management Admin gigs in LOS? (UK guy)

Shibuya

I am experianced (3 yrs) IT Manager/Admin/DBA (All MS) from UK and after my last trip to LOS i am desperate to continue my career in Bk. Can anyone point me towards placement agency's for expats looking to move to SE asia?

Dont mind taking a sideways or downwars step, quality of life is important to me right now.

I am 28 and a graduate

Anyone done anything similar or can offer advice?

Thanks for any help offered

Cheers

5555555555555555555!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Let me catch my breath. OK. 55555555555555

Dream on!

Seriously if you are looking for that type of an expat gig, you need to join a MNC that has operations in or is looking to move to Thailand. You then must work for them for a few years and hope (or even proactively lobby) to get posted to that office. But highly unlikely as IT people are decent here and in plentiful supply.

We actually were talking about this last Friday night at dinner. That type of position would pay ~B30K/month to a local hire and that is not much money (I would not get out of bed for less than ~7x that myself, but guys do and are happy, so YMMV). Why would they hire you?

Sorry to crush the dream.

You need to offer something unique and valuable to an employer that he cannot get here. IT ain't it, I'm afraid. I'd suggest work very hard and as much as you can, live very frugally, then come over here in a few years with a small pile of money and start a business of your own.

Cheers,

SD

To destroy the dream even more a local hire must be almost fluent in thai. So 7 years more experience and thai courses at uni level (1.5 years full-time is needed) may result in a local work giving 60-80 k.

Exwifes niece however was headhunted at uni where she combined post graduate studies with teaching students - starting salary 50 k, but she was special and thai of course.

Hi,

While I agree with Suadum and Elef, there *are* jobs out there, but there are very few of them. One of my friends landed an IT manager job a few years ago. His Thai is crap, but he is now in charge of the IT aspects of 6 offices located in 3 companies in the region.

I'm guessing he makes about 80-100K / month.

Salaries for a normal system / network admin start at around 10-12,000 Baht here. Not even close to survival income for the vast majority of Westerners.

Sanuk!

To complete the post: stay in the UK , Europe orUS. Make 60K? / year at least. Save some shit and travel often enough.

but then again 3 years when being 28 tells me you probably side stepped. I can get 28year olds with 10 years experience , Me Myself is 40 and have 26 years of computer experience. As some poster allready pointed out, IT skills are not needed, but management skills and LOTS of people skills when doing any kind of work in SEA

Hi,

"but then again 3 years when being 28 tells me you probably side stepped. I can get 28year olds with 10 years experience , Me Myself is 40 and have 26 years of computer experience."

I guess it depends on what you call experience. I have been using computers for 22 years, yet have only about 13 years of IT experience (i.e. actual work experience, which I think is what the OP was refering to).

Sanuk!

Archived