March pics are online

khunsanuk

bust1 said:

I think it is great that people are getting involved but it becomes very discouraging when I repeatedly submit the best photos and they vote poorly.

How true !

As a last comment, it looks like the 2 winning pics are from the same contestant.

KS might want to check IPs on the voters and the contestant, just to make double sure there is nothing wrong.

I am also a contestant for this month, but refrain from voting as stated 1-2 months earlier, in order not to distort possible results.

BB

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allright guys.

I'm very disapointed with the voting as it went this contest.

As a result I think we should consider the voting, it can't be that one guy shows up, votes twice a 10 and the rest 1-4.

If this isn't changed, I will just stop participating in the photo contest since it takes the fun away.

I've been putting a lot of time and effort into this contest with a few others to make it happen, but stuff like this just feels like a slap in the face to me and I don't need and like that.

What was mentioned earlier, where you only have an X amount of points to vote with, sounds like an idea.

Anybody else suggestions or comments?

Hi,

While I appreciate the options you are coming up with to change the voting method, the problem is that every single one of them is either not possible or requires more work for me.

I have no desire to spend more time on these contests as I am on average spending probably some 3 hours on each already.

The real problem is not a rogue vote here or there, but the fact that most members here don't bother voting, or vote only for a few pics. If say 100 people voted on all pics than a few rogue votes here and there wouldn't make any difference. Now though, with often pics getting less than 15 votes, it is very easy to sway the votes.

I can appreciate your displeasure and frustration, but I don't see what I can do about it.

Sanuk!

1 question,isthereany "algoritim" or such to averagescores/votoer ratio across all the entries? or could 1 picget a 10 and no more votes, and thus hold onto a 10 rating while another picture getting an 8 and a 10 would average 9...? if so, maybe just a radio button thing, where we vote on all the entries...? agree it is too much work...

Limbo,

If you notice, it appears the scores have shifted somewhat, the top ones fell a bit, some of the others came up...so it might not have made a big difference...none the less I understand...

KS,

I fully agree with limbo here, very dissapointing results.

How about keeping the voting more simple for you (or your mods) to check, by allowing 1 member to vote only for his top-5 pics with 1 x 10 points, 1 x 8, 1 x 6 and 2 x 4 points ?

Just an idea....

BB

Hi,

I think you misunderstand the point. The thing is that the gallery software has a voting system built-in. I cannot change that without re-coding it (something I have no intention of doing).

Any other form of voting would require someone to manually check to make sure that all votes are fair, regardless of what system we were to adopt.

BTW, your voting system would still allow for a skewed result. Imagine the following scenario, a bunch of phots are considered to be decent by most and receive 10's, 8's and 6's, and there is 1 pic which virtually nobody likes. One voter thinks it is great though and gives it a 10, nobody else gives it any points. When looking at average scores the crap photo would win.

Adding up the scores would better represent the true scores, but that too could be skewed. And of course would require someone to manually add up all the scores.

While I too would like to find a solution to this, I so far cannot see one that would work.

Sanuk!

KS,

I'll reciprocate then :)

I did understand your point, and yes, I know its a lot of hassle to check all points & voters.

But in my system, points would be added up, not averaged.

Hence the better system as the crappy pic with 1 x 10 points would end up with 10 points only, where the better pics might end up with 100s of points.

And it could be done quite simply as well..... as dog is organising the contest, why not vote per PM to him.

Let him add the points up and keep score, or another volonteer.

But, like limbo said, I am seriously considering as well to quit participating......

BB

Archived