March pics are online

khunsanuk

BB - the tractors I think are very traditional, as I don;t see them in many other places in asia. Each country in the region has it's own variations, Malaysia/Indo being more different than Laos and Cambo, so I think the two girls were working, got photographed.

If by traditional we are arguing about "Old Fashioned" traditions, then I hadn;t thoght about that interputation, to my mind, while traditional often means old, it is also something a bit unique.

DOG

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO there's no 2 pics in the competition so outstanding there're worth the maximum 10 vote, 8 or 9 maybe. It appears a bit fishy to me, especially if the pics in question were of questionable merit, i.e. poorly composed, under exposed or off topic etc. ::

Were the two high scoring pics entered by the same person by any chance?

ND,

To me, the tractors weren't really "used right." That is, not actually "working." I mean we could have a picture of a tractor at a show or how about a bulldozer at work in BKK, are these examples of "traditional work?" Not trtying to trash the photo, just saying it is better suited for a different theame.

Pe7E,

Frankly, I screwed up in my voting...I basically voted to soon, as I always do. There are 2 Photos I would have now voted "10" for, simply because I think they should be doing better, they are more less my favorites of the bunch. They are not "Perfect" but they deserve to be doing better, and a 10 would have helped them. I voted them a little lower than 10, as I said, I voted to soon...other photos I think I would have voted lower...

I have suggested before we change the voting to just 3 chpoices...in other words, you just vote for your 3 favorites, the ones getting the most votes win, that way we can't "down" vote one, and "up vote" another...

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"Not sure what happened, but in contrast to this morning almost all pictures dropped drastically apart from one or two."

Someone voted a 10 for 2 pics and 1 - 4 for a bunch of others. The person voting did not send in any entries, so I would consider this a legitimate (albeit a bit odd) vote.

Sanuk!

it sounds like those were the same two pictures that at about the same time i gave 8's, then one 7 and the rest were 4-6's. combined with the other voter, that may have had more of an impact.

Guys,

If somebody votes two pix a 10, pix by the same poster indeed, and than scores a bunch of pix scores of 1-4, than something is foul and I think a vote like that should be disqaulified. It just takes the fun away.

Other than that, it's a good comp with good entries, but I'm out of here if we get voting like that and can't be bothered to put anymore time in these contests.

I disagree. Some pictures here are pretty good, but some are awful?.so I think in some cases a spread of 1 to 10, while admittedly extreme, may be justified. Personally, I would not vote like this as it is a little mean spirited, but I do think for some pics it may be almost justified.

OH - the tractors are used as a transport device, they only actually plow for about 10% of their working life, the rest of the time they are used to move people and things around, thats what this photo is showing, it is working,

If you arguement is it isn;t working, I disagree, if it is BB's arguement it's not "Traditional" I can see, though disagree with that point.

In the Nanaplaza "Game" that KS used to run was a way of scoring, basically if there was 10 choices, you had say 75 points to distribute.

Some could be higher, some lower, total amount you had to use up was 60.

That meant either you could give every photo a 7.5, OR

1 - 10

2 - 10

3 - 5

4 - 5

6 - 5

7 - 5

8 - 5

9 - 5

10 - 5

TOTal - 55 - so the person HAS to give some off the photo's some higher points,

Just a idea, personally I have no problem with current system

DOG

I think there may be a bit of a sheep menatality here to contend with as well. Say the first 5-10 voters know nothing about photography and a poor understanding of the theme they set a precedance. Therefore any one who votes after them and falls into the same category will probably do the same thing based on how they see the voting going. I think it is great that people are getting involved but it becomes very discouraging when I repeatedly submit the best photos and they vote poorly.

I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with the present system, it just needs keeping an eye on for abnormal voting and appropriate action taken. Unless the voting's fair and seen to be fair, people won't enter, and that would be the end of the contest. I wouldn't want to see that happen.

Archived