Kiwi Murdered in Pattaya - Disturbing Story

I heard about the murder of the New Zealander in Pattaya, but not these facts. Stickman is pretty reliable and I believe this story needs to get out:

Steve Miller, a soft-spoken 39-year-old New Zealander and five-year resident of Pattaya, was shot and killed in broad daylight 10 days ago as he drove his motorbike on a quiet street in North Pattaya. What initially appeared to be just another random killing of a farang?so common in Pattaya?has, however, developed into a crime story that police might not have fully investigated if the victim?s friends and family had not hounded the boys in brown. The real story began six months ago...

By the standards of most men, Jen?a 30-year-old gogo dancer?wasn?t much to look at as she gyrated around the chrome pole. But like most things in Thailand, she was beautiful in the eyes of Steve Miller. Steve loved this country and was genuinely grateful to be living here. So the Kiwi bar-fined the dancer for the night and, eventually, bought her out entirely, moving her into his Pattaya apartment. He provided well for her and her family over the last six months, treated her like a princess, showered her with gifts, and remained faithful despite the temptations Pattaya offers all foreigners?even more so a handsome, mild-mannered young hunk with a constant smile.

Several months later, the expat was preparing to help purchase a house for his live-in girlfriend beginning by making a down-payment on the house. He had sold some property for two million baht and deposited 500,000 baht of that into Jen?s bank account so that she could qualify for a home loan. When the loan was approved earlier this month, she agreed to return the 500,000 baht, but said she must first go to Udon Thani to vote in the national election. She returned to Pattaya for a brief stay, only to return to Udon almost immediately to visit her family for Songkran. She insisted on driving home in the couple?s new car, leaving Steve no option but to tool around Pattaya on his motorbike. A week-ago Thursday, she left Udon en route to Pattaya with the understanding she would return Steve?s money the following day. That same morning, as Steve drove his motorbike from Big C toward Third Road, a passenger on a second motorbike produced a pistol, took aim, and shot Steve dead.

Jen was notified of Steve?s murder when she arrived in Pattaya. Being a dutiful if inconsiderate girlfriend, she immediately placed a call to Steve?s parents in New Zealand, shouting into the phone, ?Steve dead. Come to Pattaya.? She repeated her terse statement, then hung up. The family was understandably mortified and bewildered. They learned more only when Steve?s friends called to inform the family of details surrounding his death.

Those same friends were able to piece together the financial dealings between Steve and Jen, and dug up other information as well?learning that Jen had two Thai boyfriends even while she was living with Steve. Her roommate revealed that she never loved Steve but was hardcore and a skillful manipulator, even in past relationships. Friends immediately suspected the Isaan woman?s role in the murder. They gathered what evidence they could and presented their case to the police. Jen was arrested, interrogated, and ultimately confessed to having hired a hit-man to kill Steve. Since then, the motorbike driver has been arrested, but the identified gunman has avoided capture.

At a televised news briefing?where police allowed no questions, Jen attempted to justify her crime, claiming that Steve beat her, forced her to participate in drug dealings, and stole property from her. Police encouraged her story yet produced no supporting evidence that the health-conscious body-builder was into drugs or dealing (his friends insist he was not, nor had he ever been known to strike anyone). Furthermore, the police denied any knowledge of the accused girl having 500,000 baht in a bank, or that Steve lent her the funds. However, friends presented financial records substantiating the transfer of the money from Steve?s account to Jen?s.

When family members arrived here from New Zealand, they were denied access to Steve?s apartment. Police explained they needed to take inventory of his possessions first. The family was finally allowed into Steve?s home this past Sunday, but found the place devoid of all valuables. According to the apartment manager, the previous day police had brought Jen to the apartment to collect her belongings; she took everything?including her savings passbook.

While the case now has been solved and two of the three suspects have been arrested, the question of justice remains unanswered. The glorious triumphs of police in arresting those involved in crimes generally are well promoted by police and the press; subsequently, little is reported on the fate of such criminals. Sources intimately involved in this case imply that the 500,000 baht might disappear into police coffers or may go to finance Jen?s bail, following which she may be allowed to do a runner or the matter may be delayed until forgotten by most. The family has hired an attorney to help ensure justice and return of the 500,000 baht, and friends?at their peril?promise to hound the police until all questions are answered and the killers prosecuted. While they are aware of the inherent dangers to themselves in accusing the boys in brown of misdeeds, they also know the influence that can be purchased for 500,000 baht. More importantly, they know how little value was placed on the life of a young, serene man from New Zealand.

Bart Vandermolan, the current Mr. Universe, hosted memorial services last Tuesday evening at the new Fairtex Sports Club and Resort on North Pattaya Road.

Stickman Story on Pattaya Murder

I know this is an exclusive to the Stickman site, and if Stickman or the Mods believe it should be deleted, by all means do so, but in my view this is so disturbing and illustrates the dangers of BG "girlfriends", that it really should be widely disseminated as possible.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gadfly, thanks for posting the story.

There have been various ?versions? of the story posted around about, with a lot of contradictory ?facts?. This version was compiled by a very well connected expat in Pattaya who had freedom to tell it like it is. What appears in the likes of Pattaya Mail, Pattaya Today and Pattaya City News is always written in such a way that certain powers that be are not ?upset?. I spent most of Friday night out with the gentleman who wrote this piece and he told me all about it, in even more detail than is printed here. It is a sad tale indeed, and another classic tale where the action taken by the authorities would seem to range from questionable, to inadequate?

Stick

Stickster-

Yes I read this version on your site this evening and I was apallled by the manner in which the police seems to have been "influenced". A most polite way to out it. 500,000 Baht goes along way especially when the MIB know the acccused is in possession there of.

Also your comparison of A Ferrari and Thai women I found amusing and not to far off really. I find the undying attraction and devotion to only Thai women to be a bit dillusional and unrealisitic. I enjoy them all (when possible) But nationalities aside...Rare is the bird who can look good,be intelligent maintain "relatively" low maintenance. and even support herself.

I feel I have one but she is still a pain in the ass no matter how much I love her :)

I think we all know about BGs, the potential of some BGs to commit criminal activity and so on...

But reading this version of the story, it reinforces two beliefs that i had soon after the case was made known.

One is the police wants so bad NOT to have other thai people guilty of crimes against foreigners they they will cover up, encourage or actual let guilty parties hide their evidence. This goes way beyond incompetence but would be found guilty themselves of corruption, aiding a criminal whatever the legal jargon is...They actual would face termination, maybe jail time and be off the force in america with a black professional mark forever...

The other BS thing in the thai legal system is thais have this way of thinking that if the person admits to the crime, well that is enough and they soon become treated like a hero by admitting their guilt. It is like all should be forgotten and end up getting less prison time, probation, good behavior mentality, etc...What a fuck up way of dealing with criminal acts of behavior. Admit your guilt, re-enact the crime and we will pat you on your back...Man, do they need an overhaul of the whole sytem and processes...

To allow the presume guilty party to even enter the premises is unthinkable let alone to remove items i.e. evidence and things not belonging to her....

The second point about valuables disappearing. I made this cooment asap in the other thread when i heard about this case..

Again, Thais just lack any sense of accountability and individual protection or rights. It is like if the person is dead or not present, their valuables are fair game for the vultures meaning authorites or others. I bet so much is stolen by police and any other thais involved or having access to crime scene work...

CB

"...where is the car?

His beloved's insistence on driving the car upcountry explains why the victim was the only steroid-fueled Pattaya bodybuilder ever to ride a 'lady bike', a form of transport this breed would not be caught dead upon. Tragically, however, he was.

There's a big difference in the response between this murder story and this one .

It's ironic that there's not much media interest in the farang just murdered in BKK. Given the attention given to the Kiwi case, one would expect more.

I read that the pattaya police put 20 cops on the kiwi case. Maybe because the family was generating publicity back home which TAT monitors and reacts to.

Or maybe it was the 500,000 baht angle that the MiB thought could be distributed in a just manner.

Who knows.

Archived