Kiwi Murdered in Pattaya - Disturbing Story

The comments about how the police are bad at follow through work both ways and as farang we are often the beneficiary of such behaviour. Imagine your driving a car and you kill or seriously injure a motorbike rider who is drunk and pulls straight out in front of you. You have two options, basically end in prison with a serious charge or pay off the family of the injured or dead person. Now if that costs you 500,000 baht, I bet everyone who is so critical of the police, will choose the pay off option. Notwithstanding that the motorbike driver was in the wrong, its you thats going to be heading to prison unless you can settle with the family and avoid big trouble with the police and courts. Thats just the way things work here. I know of one guy who had just this situation and it cost him a small fortune however the evidence that he was drunk, somehow got lost and settlement was reached with the family. He is free now and did not serve any time.

Now I am not saying that this guy deserved this and in my opinion this will not be covered up or hushed up - this person being charged is not influencial and most people would not go near this due to the profile its taking. This girl and her partners will end up in prison plain and simple. No amount of 'marked' money is going to prevent that - had she been a hi-so Thai with a well connected family, the outcome may be be different but she aint, in the eyes of the police, she is lowly hooker and they have nothing to lose by demonstrating to their bosses how good they are, whilst letting other things slip by the wayside that ensures they can continue to drive around in Mercedes Benz of salaries of 25k per month.

Cheers

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If my understanding of fundamental banking principals is correct, If he provided the B500,000 for her to put into her account so she could qualify for a mortgage, he would have to have sworn an affadavit that it was a gift, and not a loan since a loan of that amount would be considered debt and would have disqualified her from the mortgage. If this is the case, his family will have a tough time recovering the money.

Not only in Thailand; a case similar to this occured in Boston several years ago resulting in murder. One family member loaned an in-law a down payment on a house, documenting it as a "gift" to satisify the mortgage company. When the time came to re-pay it, the receiver refused, "Hey, you said it was a gift; see, right on this paper"

Just as in Pattaya, it was the "giver" who ended up dead.

Shakespear had it right: "Ne'er a borrower nor a lender be"

"But there will almost certainly be a version of the incident...where the Farang somehow had it coming..."

I, for one, would never suggest poor Steve had it coming but he sure was engaged in risky behavoir. To wit; juggling women of questionable character, depriving them of their income, and in what is described by his press agents of 'loaning'-- a most perilous if not downright delusional act of charity--a lady of the bar a cool half a million baht, certainly more money than she could ever dream of seeing at one time, and demanding repayment, perhaps without too much leap of faith to woo wife #5, was a dangerous pyramid scheme Khun Jintana felt justified in terminating.

... as farang we are often the beneficiary of such behaviour.
True, but I would prefer a honest, reasonable and transparent system. I would gladly have a system where traffic laws are fairly enforced in exchange for what we have now.
in my opinion this will not be covered up or hushed up
It will be harder to cover or hush it up because it has attracted the attention of the international press. Farangs "fall" off balconies all of the time (there are new postings on this all of the time in the News Section), and little happens. Those stories don't make the news; in this case, it is impossible to claim it was anything but a hit style murder.

Perhaps we should start keeping tabs on the number of stories we see about Farang "suicides" in Pattaya. If word started spreading about this incredible phenomena in Thailand across the internet and in the press, you might start see the MiB taking it a bit more seriously.

The sadest part of this is that there are three sides, the victim, the murderer, and the police

<<Or maybe it was the 500,000 baht angle that the MiB thought could be distributed in a just manner.>>

Seems the way they have played this is to make sure they the MiB get the $.

Very fucking sad!

DOG

sfinkz said:

"But there will almost certainly be a version of the incident...where the Farang somehow had it coming..."

I, for one, would never suggest poor Steve had it coming but he sure was engaged in risky behavoir. To wit; juggling women of questionable character, depriving them of their income, and in what is described by his press agents of 'loaning'-- a most perilous if not downright delusional act of charity--a lady of the bar a cool half a million baht, certainly more money than she could ever dream of seeing at one time, and demanding repayment, perhaps without too much leap of faith to woo wife #5, was a dangerous pyramid scheme Khun Jintana felt justified in terminating.

I agree. Another tragic case of "leaving your brain at the airport." I will NEVER understand why people come here and make *life decisions* involving things & elements at a societial level that they would never, ever consider doing at home -- because it would have the exact same consequence.

It is a train wreck waiting to happen and you see it, or read about it, every day. Ya, a few are "lucky," but I think that their luck is more about due diligence rather than "luck."

Of course, failure usually involves loss of face & money ala hundreds of stories on this board. But, like this instance, it can be fatal. I know, I know, "You just don't understand!!! She's different!" :doah:

Darwin in action? The stupid or careless are culled, along with the devious scumbags...

Regards,

SD

The girl will probably be let go or be found innocent.

It will come out she was pressured into a confession. The confession becomes worthless.

The money stays with her because it is her money. Nothing documented to say the different. As for the car, that was probably put in her name also along with the motorcycle.

The one person who could finger her is the person who did the killing and the probability of that guy being found is probably slim to zero.

Almost every day a falang gets murdered. Thais don't register that a murder happened and falangs generally look at it as a funny event. Maybe now falangs have an opportunity to put a stop to this dumb attitude, if not, it will continue to go on as being the norm.

I disagree re: the GF. I have little doubt she will be found guilty and most likely will roll over on the shooter (or the coppers will pick up a patsy, i.e., local ne'er-do-well they want to get rid of). She is nobody and now that the spotlight is on, her paltry B500K, if she has any of it left, is not enough to buy her way out. TAT and the coppers need to keep face. If no spotlight, then she may have gotten away with payments, if she did not piss anybody off.

With this much publicity, one would need to be Suviboon Patpongpanich or *maybe* Duangchalerm Yubamrung to get out of it, even in Thailand.

Cheers,

SD

web page

"Bodybuilder's 'wife' charged with conspiring to kill

A woman who claims she was married to Napier bodybuilder Stephen Miller has been charged with conspiring to kill him in Thailand.

Mr Miller, a 39-year-old businessman who worked in real estate in the resort city of Pattaya, 147km south of Bangkok, was shot while travelling to his gym on a motor scooter on Thursday morning.

The Pattaya City News reported that Khun Gintana had been charged with conspiracy to murder.

She claimed to be one of Mr Miller's wives, but the newspaper said a marriage certificate was never signed. Her alleged accomplice, Khun Walatit, 24, was already in custody, also charged with conspiracy to murder.

Regional commander police Lieutenant General Jongrak told a press conference that the alleged gunman, Gintana's boyfriend Khun Yiamwoot, 25, was still at large but was thought to be in the southern Sonkla province of Thailand and a warrant issued for his arrest.

Gintana was involved in an illegal steroid export business, with the money from orders being sent to her bank account, the newspaper reported.

"Mr Miller confronted her just before the murder and a physical altercation took place as he demanded she hand over the money from the steroid sales."

Gintana and her boyfriend then formulated a plan to kill him and keep the money, the newspaper reported.

Mr Miller's New Zealand family, including his former Napier wife Megan, attended the press conference and presented Lieutenant General Jongrak with flowers in appreciation of the local police's speedy resolution of the case.

Steve Miller spent time living in Napier, while his parents live in Waikanae. He was a well- known bodybuilder at the Sparta Health and Fitness Centre before leaving for Thailand several years ago. His ashes will be brought back to New Zealand, after a funeral in Thailand, and a memorial service will possibly be held in Napier."

I think the police will decide you they want to catch the guy or not and if they want to provide the evidence to the courts in finding her guilty..

We are not talking about sophisticated or well-connected, respected people. $13,000 is nothing compared to the pressure that the foreign press, western community, familiy, friends even NZ embassy can put on the police and other VIP in thai standing...

Whether they are found and convicted will not depend on their guilt but pressure form the outside...

CB

Archived