Thai food you don't like........

limbo

Old Hippie said:

[color:"red"]"tried Snake and dog also...dog was o.k. but it made me feel really strange, and kept me up"[color:"black"]

Was that a 2 legged, 3 legged or 4 legged dog?

And when it kept you up, was it like being on viagara or something else?

Shit, I am just curious just had to ask.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like most central thai food...it's overall way too sweet and greasy and squishy for my taste, and generally not spicy enough.

plus they love flavor combinations that I abhor, like savory together with sweet. there are a few dishes I can eat once every month or so: phat krapaow, phat s'iaw, keng paa...but in general, I eat mostly lao food (isaan) when in thailand; the hot-ness and bitterness suits my tastes much better. there are some good spicy southern dishes too, though I don't know the names of them...northern as well, especially khao soi, available at several food courts (pantip, emporium) in bangkok.

it's interesting, when I used to live in the US year-round, I always ate at thai restaurants...but then after living in thailand most of the year for 4 years, I realized that a) what the average thai eats in thailand bears NO resemblance to the majority of food served in thai restaurants in the West and B) even the dishes that do exist in both the West and thailand are inedible in the West once you realize what the real version is supposed to taste like...

the worst, though, is those thai bakeries that are everywhere. I've given up being adventurous: some of those pastries look soooo good, but how often have you bought something that looks rich and sweet only to find, in the middle of the sweet pastry, some shrimp and garlic or dried pork...yuck! haha. the stuff thais put on pizza tend to fall in the "tastes that should never be combined" category as well...

preahko

• 1 month later...

Wow, clearly a case of One man's meat is another man's poison :)

The only variation of Som Tam I dislike is the one with crab (shell). The bigger pieces are easy to avoid but sometimes the smaller ones hidden in/under a piece of tomato are a pain. Feels like I'm eating rocks at times. :banghead:

Archived