New Zealander stabbed to death

limbo

I hate to blame the deceased but how much did he contribute to his own demise? I would guess alot.

Again, here is probably a situation where this thai guy had some previous or current relationship with this so-called thai GF of the falang.

I would speculate that they kept their relationship under wraps but when alcohol flows so does judgmernt and true feelings..

How many guys do you know starts to drag the girl out of the room if in fact he didn't know or seriously involved with her? While it is wrong behavior on any level, it does tell me something about both thai parties involved....

Stupid stupid falang again plays the role of the mushroom when he probably was clueless on what was happening right under his nose...

Then he invites him in and further compunds it by drinking together? What was he intoduced as, a special friend, a relative, a school mate? yeah..right!

Or was he more like the bouncer at a gogo or being supported by this GF?

Also, how many friends or people who you socialize just happen to carry knives???

The falang caused his own unfortuante demise by hanging around with low lifes. And i would put money on the table she was no sweet and innocent angel...

Some people can see things developing while others just don't have the ability or don't want to question or see red flags...

CB

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NZ Herald:

NZ teacher dies in Bangkok stabbing

7.15am Monday July 3, 2006

By Marcus Brogden and Rebecca Quilliam

The girlfriend of a New Zealand teacher stabbed to death in Bangkok has told police he was attacked as he tried to stop her being dragged out of his apartment by another man.

Leonard Timothy Healey, 32, was stabbed in his apartment yesterday morning after watching England's soccer loss to Portugal at the World Cup, a Thai media report said.

Mr Healey, who taught English at two schools in Bang Khen district in the Thai capital, died after he was attacked in his 10th floor home in the PA Tower Apartment block, Thai police said.

Police Captain Thanaphat Sookmee said Mr Healey was attacked by Winai Saisudjai, 29, a friend of Mr Healey's 19-year-old girlfriend, Jitladda Dejyosdee.

The police officer said all three had been drinking when Mr Healey became angry after Mr Saisudjai asked to sleep with his girlfriend.

A Thai police transcript obtained by NZPA of Ms Dejyosdee's account of the incident claimed that Mr Healey was stabbed as he was trying to protect his girlfriend.

"Leonard told Aek (Mr Saisudjai) to leave," Ms Dejyosdee said. "Aek was very upset.

"He grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the room. Aek tried to call the lift then Leonard came to help.

"They had a fight and Aek used his knife to stab Leonard before running out of the fire exit."

Ms Dejyosdee told police she carried her injured boyfriend back into the apartment after Mr Saisudjai fled the scene.

Mr Healey later died of his injuries in hospital.

The transcript reported that Bangkok police expected to make an arrest shortly.

Bang Khen police superintendent Colonel Sarapong Poonsombat said police were in the process of reconstructing the scene of the crime.

"We will be gathering more evidence and will issue an arrest warrant. Police already know the suspect. We expect to make an arrest very soon," he said.

In Thailand, all crime scenes are reconstructed in the hope it triggers new information from witnesses or in the hope further witnesses come forward.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) could not confirm the New Zealander's death last night, but said the New Zealand embassy in Thailand was looking into the incident.

PA Tower Apartment in Bang Khen, a densely populated area in the city of close to 14 million people, is about 25km outside the Bangkok city centre, near a campus for Thammasat University.

A New Zealander living in Bangkok last night said the area was not popular with Bangkok's mainstream English language teaching crowd, who tended to prefer to remain in the city centre, close to tourist areas and the trappings of ex-pat life.

But he said Bang Khen was home to a few teachers, keen to disassociate themselves from the western leanings of Bangkok city centre.

The concierge at the PA Tower Apartment said Mr Healey was the only ex-pat living in the building, his girlfriend was nowhere to be seen, and staff had been told not to speak to anyone until the morning (Monday afternoon NZT).

Every year thousands of Westerners travel to Bangkok to take up posts as English language teachers at the country's many English language institutions, the New Zealander said.

They earned between Bht20,000 ($750) and Bht60,000 a month for teaching English at local state schools or at private English language institutions.

Many lived in less-favoured areas such Bang Khen to teach at a recognised educational faculty, immerse themselves in local culture, learn to speak Thai and make local friends.

- NZPA

>>>The falang caused his own unfortuante demise by hanging around with low lifes. And i would put money on the table she was no sweet and innocent angel...<<<

Agree she most likely is no angel. The thai guy when caught will state the girl is his girlfriend and the farang had no business getting between a thai man and his girl.

But the farang did not cause his own demise. The two thais apparently scammed him. NZ'er may have figured out that night that the thai guy was not just a friend. Not easy to stay calm at the moment a deception like that is revealed. You may have seen the red flags, the NZ'er did not. Talk about blaming the victim. He is dead because a thai guy pulled out a knife and stabbed him.

Mailuk,

This is a game of cat and mouse with thais. He was a teacher living here. He should have known the dception and lies of this culture and most importantly know how to react....

He associated himself with being with these types of people. Then he compounds it by inviting them into his place and then to the point of getting drunk....

His GF? what? 2 months 3 weeks? I seroiusly doubt he really knew this girl or her background outside of screwing, drinking and partying...

To me , he did contribute to his own demise by putting himself and creating for this situation to rear its ugly head..To top it off he becomes emotional and defensive, out of his culture, on foreign turf, and out of place. He should have let him drag that girl out of the room and let them settle their differences among thais. He was that foreign object that he will do more harm than good in which this bores it out. If you can't swim, you don't jump in to save someone else.....

When i get scammed by a girl whether for an extra 500 baht or she steals a small item from me, you suck it up and say "a lesson learned" because of who I am associating with....The worse thing one can do, is to make a fuss as the consequence will be far more serious than the oringial issue....

Same same with this aussie guy who wanted his money back from his so-called GF in Pattaya. he paid for bad decisoins and association with his life...

CB

I love the way so many assumptions are resulting in many already apportioning blame to the dead farang.

Why do you specualte that the Thai was her boyfriend? Because he drags her out of the room? Ok he must be her secret boyfriend then because the dragged her away :: Hmmmm .....some Thai girls do happen to know Thai guys without fucking them.

Also why do you assume that she was working in a bar and the Thai guy was the bouncer she was supporting? Where does it state she was working in a bar? Is perhaps that you think every Thai girl who has a farang boyfriend must be a hooker? How do you know that they were so obviously "low lives". The farang was a young guy .... maybe just maybe he didn't haven't to find a relationship from a hooker environment.

Now your specualtions *may* just be right on the nose, but you seem to have come to so many conclusions based on absolutely nothing of substance, and you apportion blame on the farang's death due to his own actions.

Just because you may like Thais doesn't mean you have to defend everything about them (especially when you and everyone else doesn't know any of the facts). I just don't understand why certain people try to be more Thai than the Thais themselves.

Farangman,

I agree also. With astonishing surprise I've been following this thread to see how everyone falls over the girl.

She however was the one to drag the NZ bloke back inside the appt and called for help.

If the Thai bloke really was her boyfriend, easiest way out would've been to bugger off together.

farangman,

lets see how this case unfolds. yes, we will wait for the details once he is arrested and whatever his relationship was to her. Maybe she was a honor's chula student and her friend a Ph.D. enigineering candidate...I guess very typical behavior of them to hang with a 32 year old english teacher getting drunk in his room at midnight as well as being his GF.

Damn right i am speculating and i will stand by that his poor judgment and his actions lead and contributed to his demise...

Okay maybe not a BG but 19 year olds GTGs just are not found with english teachers as their BFs in addition to having some older thai guy along for the ride....

Whose idea was it to watch the game? Who invited whom? Who money was used to pay for the alcohol?

He was not a young guy at 32. He didn't know how to handle a voltile situation. He ia accountable for their actions in his room. She is a teenager. Let me repeat that - a teenager! He is the one who is responsible for their behavior and should have been monitored this situation ftrom the get-go. He is the lead adult in this case...

So tell me, a person who just happens to carry a knife on him when entering a guest's household is not a low-life behavior? No, i guess an outstanding citizen and just common behavior no doubt...

And also, i guess you agree that when a thai gets drunk it is common practice to pick anyone they want to screw and if she is resistant, he just becomes physical with her. No doubt common behavior from the average citiizen? In my book, this behavior of his is completely unacceptable and would fall into the low-life category. Do all your friends carry weapons? Maybe....just speculating again.

And finally, you guys treat this as the common supervisor would who has an employee who slips on a surface wet spot and then writes "need to be more careful next time when walking". No, you take the easy way and improper way of not doing a root-cause anlaysis.

You are just blaming symptoms like "it was the knife, it was the alcohol or it was actually the impaired capacity of the thai guy who caused this guy's demise...Those are just symptoms. He the thai guilty of killing him - yes, but that doesn't change the fact the falang contributed to his own demise by his own actions...

The root cause was the the guy's behavior throughout, mistake after mistake...... Now if we could ask him, don't you think he would do things differently? like "i shouldn't gotten angry; i shouldn't had invited them over to drink; I shouldn't have had selected her as a GF in the first place (if this was her friend?). I wonder if he would now agree with me????

Back to the supervisor case, had a root cause analysis had been done, they would had found out that another employee who passed thru the area five minutes before spilled a fluid container, but because she wasn't trained in how to clean up spills per policy, it was the supervisor in the end that lead to his own employee's slipping and injuring herself. That is root cause analysis and ones needs to dig much deeper than the old knee-jerk reaction...

As to being more thai than thai themselves, I didn't know thais were into root cause analysis, critically analysing situations and presenting alternative reasons on why things happen. I thought they are more into "just fate" for their explanation....

Yes, lets follow this case and will be very interested in learning the backgrounds of these two thai individulas and curious in how the falang came to know them or individually...

Fleeing the scene of a crime, i guess not low life or irresponsible behavior in your book? Maybe he had an engineering project due on Monday? Oh, Lets not go there....

CB

A lot of words but not much of a justification for all of your assumptions without knowing the facts.

Just answer either of these questions with a simple yes or no

1. Do you know personally any of the three people involved in this incident?

2. Were you there at the time and did you see any of the incident take place?

If you cannot answer yes to either these questions you are simply speculating. Full stop....no yes but.

You could well be 100% spot on with your guesses but I will not speculate about that. I simply don't know.

But you use the tired argument that is trotted out on all occasions without knowing the facts (not only yourself) that if it involved a farang, he must have contributed to his downfall or was the cause of it.

Simple answer is that nobody here is likely to know the true answer and anything else is just pure gossiping

Archived