06/07 SEASON FOOTBALL THREAD

sayjann

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post Sayjann, exactly my thoughts in the other response to Bibblies in the CL thread! However the record of Liverpool is impressive and it floats millions into their pockets which gives them more freedom to improve the squad for the next season. Having said that... 21 points is a 2 class difference, it just shows that an entire season reveals the true stability of a team.

ManU and Chelsea are the 2 best English teams without a doubt and then there is Red Everton.. err Liverpool and Arsenal IMO.

However, I keep my fingers crossed for Liverpool at the CL Final!

I don't want Liverpool to win it this soon again. Twice in three years is a bit over the top for me.

And Milan... don't want them to win it either since their win (Italy) in the WC, can't see another Italian team cruise to another international victory.

I guess I'll need to cheer for the best team of the day then. Just hope the cup goes to the deserved winner, hate to see the wrong teams win big tournaments, unless it's Portugal :beer:

Crap!

one for LG.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/6632345.stm

i notice that the FA or whoever say that there was no provision for the trophy being presented.

well a few Years ago in the PL there were 2 Teams of a chance of winning it on the final Day.

in the end i think Arsenal won the PL and were given the trophy but it was a copy.........

MU were the current holders and the original trophy (well another copy,as MU had been presented with the original after 5 wins)was at the MU game.

i think it would have been easy for the trophy to be awarded to either Birmingham or Sunderland on Sunday,copy or not.

after all MU were presented with the PL trophy at Middlesbrough one Year.

when are Sunderland going to get the trophy? and will it be behind closed doors?.

not quite the same for the Players or fans...........

i suppose this means that MU will not be presented with the PL trophy at Stamford Bridge....... :cussing:

now that would have been fun.......... :grinyes:

Koeman stays on at PSV, don't think that's a good development...........

Mixed feelings on this..

I have seen some improvement in his coaching/managerial abilities (especially dealing with players / unhappy subs and their morale) so maybe it's not so bad after all. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

They're likely going to sell a few players this summer (as usual) and just hope they can find good enough players to replace them. Makaay and v. Bronckhorst would be nice additions :up:

and even Chelsea will have a better record then Liverpool if they win the FA Cup and Liverpool only win the CL.

:rotfl::rotfl:

...pauses for breath...

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

...picks himself off the floor...

Yeah, right... FA Cup + Carling 'no body cares' Cup >>> Champions League glory. :rolleyes:

Yeah, everyone remembers those glorious Carling Cup nights.

:rotfl:

Come on sayjann, don't kid yourself that the CL doesn't matter (would have been a different story if Chelsea had taken advantage of your league slips and you'd gone through against Milan, I bet :) ). Fergie desperately wants it. Scholes never made the last final but has loads of league titles already. The CL is the premier club competition in the world. Only winning the World Cup is better in football.

We produced one of the most exciting FA Cup finals ever last season but I never regarded it as anything other than a slight consolation compared to the previous season's CL.

Also, despite anything other Liverpool fans say, I'd be perfectly happy to win the CL every season and not win the Premiership compared to the other way around. It's more glorious than a season's slog.

What do people really remember? ManU's 1967 league title or their 1968 European Cup victory? :)

it is certainly an achievement to win the CL and i envy Liverpools record in the competition.

but Liverpool should be challenging more in the domestic game.

You should also envy our domestic record. We still hold the record for every domestic trophy apart from the FA Cup.

18 titles > 16 titles. We had to go to sleep for 17 years just to let you start to catch up. :D

Hi Bibbs......... :wave:

i wondered how long it would be before you replied.

i don't know your exact feelings about MU but i have stated that i don't really have any problem with Liverpool and don't dislike them or your good self.

i'm sorry but if a Team wins 2 trophies in a Season then they have a better record then one which wins one,no matter which trophies they are.

the record books don't lie.

i said that i envy Liverpools record in the CL and of course the old Div 1.

but it's easy to gloat on past glories.

Liverpool have been poor since 1990 and as i said the League is everyones bread and butter.

but if you think winning the CL every Year is more important then that's fine by me.

but i don't really believe you,i know you want that PL trophy eventually.

Liverpools record in the CL has not been that brilliant since your glory Years.

why do you think that Teams like MU are always seeded despite having won it only once in 38 Years?.

it might be because they do quite well each Season.

it's easy to live in the past and talk about past glories but you have to live for today.

i could go on about the glory Years of MU in the 50's,but what relevance does it have in this Day and age.

times and circumstances change.

but basically what you are saying is that because Liverpool have reached the CL final and MAY lose they they have had a better Season then Chelsea who will have finished higher in the League than Liverpool,won one trophy and maybe 2?.

i was trying to be gracious by praising Liverpool for the record but you can't seem to accept that your Team might be considered a failure if they win nothing.

that's all from me.

I expect us to lose this time and I'll be relatively happy with a 7th appearance in the final.

I couldn't care less about the FA or Carling Cup so I don't really rate Chelsea's 'success' if they win those. And, seeing as we beat them in the semi-finals of the one they really wanted for the 2nd time in 3 seasons, I don't worry they'll have bragging rights over us.

I don't have any confidence that we'll win the final so the nightmare situation was to meet ManU in the final with ManU winning and their fans having bragging rights for decades to come. With their team in good nick and ours incomplete, I'm just happy that hasn't happened. :thumbup: :smirk:

Archived