06/07 SEASON FOOTBALL THREAD

sayjann

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Belated but congrats to Man Yoo on winning the title. With the amount of money available to Chelsea, it has to be the top achievement so far to win the PL. Our prior title ('02) was the second considering the money Wenger spent and having finances stymied by the building of the stadium.

Amount of money available to Chelsea? That Abramovich wouldn't let Mourinho spend to buy a central defender when he only had two? And that he made him spend on players he obviously didn't want, like Schevchenko and Ballack?

It sort of annoys me when people say this, as though Man U were poor. Give us a fucking break!

They're constantly among the richest 3 clubs in the world. It's been like that for years! :cussing:

Rooney - 23million, rising to a possible 31million

Carrick - they can afford to splash 18million on that overrated crab!

In fact, look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_(football)

Of those top ten transfers, only one is Chelsea (not even one Mourinho wanted) and two are ManUtd:

Rio Ferdinand: 29.1 million

Juan Veron: 28.1 million

Yeah, they're really poor, aren't they? :doah:

They were making these £20m+ transfers years ago and have always been breaking transfer records.

Meanwhile, Liverpool and Arsenal still rarely spend over £10m and neither have got anywhere near £20m. ManU even got Ronaldo by paying twice the price anyone else was prepared to offer (and that Sporting were expecting) at the time.

So, for fuck's sake people, stop this MYTH. :mad: Chelsea and Abramovich are temporary (and, to me, most of their supporters are nicer than ManU's, like a poor man suddenly winning the lottery would be nicer than a spoilt rich brat temporarily down on his luck). ManU are still the ones to be despised. :evil:

To be fair though, those buys was pre-Glazer. ManYoo are still a very very rich club and either #1 or #2 of all football clubs in the world in terms revenues if I recall correctly (them and Real Madrid) but since Glazer arrived, they don't seem to have spent much. They bought Carrick for 18 mil but sold players that totaled near that as well (obi Mikel was at least 10 mil).

Chelsea's money is so far out of reach that they even make man yoo look like paupers.

Its going to be interesting though to see how much the Glazers let Fergie spend this summer.

Bibblies,

I agree that United have been the top spenders in the EPL before the Roman Invasion, but at least the forays into the transfer market have been largely self financed.

An example of a Few Profitable Transfers

Andrei Kanchelskis Cost 650,000 Sold 5 Million

Dion Dublin Cost 1 Million Sold 2 Million

Paul Ince Cost 2.4 Million Sold 7 Million

David Beckham Cost Nothing Sold 25 Million

Gary Pallister Cost 2.3 Million Sold 2.5 Million

Jaap Stam Cost 10.75 Million Sold 15.25 Million

Andy Cole Cost 7 Million Sold 7.5 Million

Mark Hughes Cost Nothing Sold for Sold for 2.5 Million bought Back for 1.8 Million Sold for 1.5 Million

Lee Sharpe Bought 185,000 Sold 4.5 Million

On top of this there are the players who came through the ranks, The Neville's, Butt, Giggs, Scholes, Brown etc etc, as well as the players who never made it at OT such as Jonathan Greening Sold for 2 Million, Danny Higginbotham Sold for 2 Million, John Curtis sold for 1.5 Million, the list goes on.

As CS mentioned, we got 12 Million for John Obi Mikel plus the 10.2 Million for RvN and 0.5 Million for Jonathan Spector in 2006 and the only outgoing was 18.6 Million on Carrick.

As I said, I wont deny that United have always been big spenders, but on a whole it has been financed by Shrewd dealings in the Transfer Market, A good Youth System and on field success.

Click Here for a Complete History of United Transfers.

How you, or anyone else for that matter, can compare Uniteds Spending habits with Chelseas beggers belief.

PS

CS Thanks for the Congrats, I know you must have been cringing as you were typing it.

It will be interesting to see if the Glazers spend any money and try to build on the current success. Giggs and Scholes needs replacing. This is going to be a test to see how committed the Glazers are to the man yoo cause. They won the title with the Bucs and stopped spending money after winning the super bowl.

Also going to be interesting how much Roman spends. He needs a defender or two but not sure what else they need. A striker possibly?

Archived