06/07 SEASON FOOTBALL THREAD

sayjann

There are a few stories on the back pages of the english broadsheets about Roman making Chelsea operate on its own revenue. He didn't buy in January and that is the first big indication. This summer will be another.

Kenyon sold him a bill of goods that was never going to work. You can't build a brand just like that. Man Yoo at least had some history behind them when the EPL was started and built on that. Chelsea didn't. Furthermore, Roman didn't buy Chelsea because he was a childhood fan, he bought them just to own an english club in London. He looked at Arsenal and Tottenham as well.

Even though he can afford to spend tens of millions he's got to be feeling stupid spending tens of millions each summer with not much to show for it considering how much Man Yoo, LFC and Arsenal are spending. He must be thinking 'why do i have to spend 100 mil to get the same results that man yoo are doing spending relatively little?'

If they do, no way they can hang on to the players they have. We probably won't see the effect of this belt tightening (if it comes to fruition) until the season after this one. Chelsea are still a dangerous club going into next season, even if they don't get any new players. They should still be regarded the faves but the belief may take a hit and they look more vulnerable now than they have been since Jose took over.

It would be nice to see Jose take his lumps. He'll leave if he can't spend millions.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They went down because in the latter stages of the season, when it really matters, West Ham were by far the better team, winning 7 of their last 9 games

Which was almost entirely due to the efforts of ..... Carlos Tevez, who some might feel shouldn't have been allowed to play.

I have to say though I have very very little sympathy for Sheff Utd who had their own destiny in their own hands as well as the huge advantage of playing at home and only needing a draw. They deserve their relegation.

I know you probably don't agree LG, but on to other things. Are you excited about playing the toon again in a PL derby? My boss's boss is a geordie but a geordie nonetheless. I'll pass on your regards. hehehe From being around football these past few years, I have to say (and I could be terribly wrong) that the Sunderland v. Newcastle derby passes the others in emotion. I know the Man U v. Liverpool one is the biggest but the few mackems and geordies I've met at the pub and elsewhere just seem to have a mutual hatred that seems to eclipse others. We hate sperz but I think they hate us more because of our place. They think about us 365 days a year. We only twice a year.

Anyway, congrats on promotion. I'm assuming Keane is now the sunderland local hero. You just know the press is gonna build up the Sunderland/Man Yoo match.

every supporter thinks their derby is the biggest.

talk to people in Bristol and they will tell you their derby is felt much more then any other.

even Torquay and Plymouth are quite fiesty.

where i live the rivalry between Pompey and Saints borders on the lunatic and can get nasty.

do you still think of the Spurs game as nothing more than a game between 2 Teams who are close to each other?.

you already seem to dismiss them as a rival.

i for one don't think of the Man City game as anything special anymore.

yes they are close but it just doesn't hold the same appeal for me anymore.

i would imagine living in the City would make things different.

even the Liverpool game is fading a little as it gets boring beating them so often...... :cool:

to me the Leeds game will always be the big one.......we hate each other with a passion which will be hard to surpass.

a shame it will be at least 3 more Years before they have the honour of travelling to OT..... :rotfl:

:topic:

i was thinking the other Day and got a headache..... :(

CT is probably the biggest critic of Steve McClaren and he's not even English....... :confused:

i understand that many England fans want an English Manager in the future but how will this happen if the PL Chairman continue to fuck up?.

English Managers don't manage the top Teams at the moment and never will.

Managers need time to bed in and work their magic.

but during the last Season i see that only English Managers were sacked or resigned.

the likes of Pearce,Allardyce and Curbishley might not be be the obvious choices at the moment but with a bit of forward planning and nurturing they could be the answer.

i wonder how many of the 'smaller' Managers would do big things at a top Team with a warchest of 100 Million?.

look at Fergie.

took 7 Years to win the PL after fans were calling for his head in the early Days.

the rest is history.........

i wonder how successful MU would have been if Edwards had told him to leave in 1990?.

full names are........

Luis Carlos Almeida da Cunha

Anderson Luis de Abreu Oliveira

bit of a handful for the commentators i think.

and isn't Pele known as Pele?.

or do you always call him Edson Arantes do Nascimento when his name comes up in conversation?.

full names are........

Luis Carlos Almeida da Cunha

Anderson Luis de Abreu Oliveira

So Nani's full name is Luis Carlos Almeida da Cunha? Shouldn't he be called Luis or Cunha (perhaps not as he's probably black) or one of his other names? Where the feck does Nani come from. :confused: Bit of a girl's name really.

CT is probably the biggest critic of Steve McClaren and he's not even English....... :confused

Actually my rantings are against the PL Chairmen!

England was an unsuccessful Team under SGE and now they make his assistant the chief! Makes no sense to me!

He never had a chance in my book since he is uncharismatic and England is not Middlesborough!

However, he is bringing Becks back, he is performing brilliant in Spain, but again I might be the only one who feels that as an improvement!

Archived