JonBenet Ramsey murderer arrested in Bangkok

Bangkoktraveler

CNN) -- Authorities have arrested a "possible suspect" in the decade-old JonBenet Ramsey murder investigation, law enforcement sources told CNN on Wednesday.

An investigator with the Boulder County, Colorado, District Attorney's office traveled to Bangkok, Thailand, and is bringing a suspect back to the United States, CNN Denver affiliate KUSA reported.

The suspect was arrested Wednesday morning and has confessed to certain elements of the crime that are unknown to the general public, KUSA reported.

The man already was already held in Bangkok on unrelated sex charges, sources told The Associated Press.

Prosecutors have not confirmed the identity of the suspect, but expect to hold a press conference later today.

JonBenet's beaten and strangled body was found in the basement of the family home in Boulder, Colorado, the day after Christmas in 1996. She was 6.

A grand jury investigation into the death of the child beauty pageant winner ended without charges in 1999.

The investigation focused a spotlight on the child's parents, John and Patsy Ramsey. Patsy Ramsey died in June of ovarian cancer. She was 49.

The Ramseys said an intruder committed the crime, but they remained the subject of suspicion and speculation.

In 2003, a federal judge dismissed a lawsuit against the Ramseys, blaming the police and the FBI for bungling the investigation. The Boulder County District Attorney's Office concurred with the judge's opinion the following month, saying there was little evidence against the couple

The Ramseys left Colorado and had a house in Charlevoix, Michigan, where John Ramsey unsuccessfully ran for office in 2004, and in Atlanta, Georgia.

CNN's Kelli Arena contributed to this report.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a tragic mishandled case for years,but I wasnt surprise that a suspect was caught in thailand hiding behind the pretense of being a teacher,how many more thailand based english teachers are hiding out and praying on innocent thai kids,thailand really needs to start an Interpol and FBI checks on all english teachers in thailand immediatly,there also seems too be alot of them sending articles onto "stickmans"web site,this would be a excellent place to start checking them out.If your not guilty of anything you have nothing to fear.

An Australian guy got arrested earlier in the week in LOS for child sexual assault charges. I will try and find a link.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/21/1079823229069.html

Are they serious......If convicted, the men face a maximum three years in prison and a 20,000 baht fine (around $A666). Burma Girl faces 7 years for pinching a couple of things and this low life can be free in less than 3 :cussing:

Several major news media are headlining this story this afternoon in the USA. Not surprisingly, female news reporters for both FoxNews and CNN have cited Thailand's infamous 'sex trade'. (Sigh, just as I am watching this with my mother and granddaughter).

Some news outlets have named him (John Mark Carr, if I heard the name right).

Not clear if he's currently teaching in Thailand or the USA. News reports did say he is being investigated for an unrelated sex charge, and that he is a 2nd grade teacher, but a CNN reporter just said he was visiting Thailand for a holiday.

I'm sure later reports will clarify this.

Americans on this board will be familiar with this case. The parents had lots of money and I think that held some things up because the cops had to dot eyes and cross tees, which they should but they worried about technicalities that may come back to bite them in the ass. Also, the area is not used to dealing with murders, its affluent.

It will be interesting how this plays out. Is there some sort of extradition treaty with the U.S.?

I thought it was the brother. Apparantly mummy was a tad unstable. Most of the community in Colorado thought it was the parents just couldn't prove it. I really don't think this will go far as he is only a suspect. How come it has taken so long to reveal there was a suspect outside the family.

News reports are showing the suspect's name as John Mark Karr (I misspelled the last name in an earlier post and timed out before I could edit it).

Latest reports say he is wanted on sex charges in California due to a 2001 incident, and that enforcement agencies have matched his DNA with that found at the scene of the JonBenet murder.

Still not clear if he was living in Thailand or just visiting at the time of the arrest.

http://crime.about.com/b/a/257092.htm?once=true&

"A man currently being held in Thailand on unrelated sexual charges has been arrested in connection with the murder of six-year-old JonBenet Ramsey in her Boulder, Colorado home almost ten years ago. The suspect, who authorities say has confessed to the murder, will be returned to the United States within the next two days.

Fox News channel is reporting that the suspect is 41-year-old John Mark Karr, a second-grade teacher who formerly worked in Conyers, Georgia and in Colorado. The Ramsey family had homes in both states.

District Attorney Mary Lacey said the arrest followed several months of investigation. She has schedule a news conference for Thursday.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials, along with the Boulder County police helped identify and locate the suspect, who was arrested Tuesday night, sources told ABC News.

Fox News and television station KUSA reported that Karr has confessed to certain details of the case known only to investigators. Reportedly, Karr sent email messages to JonBenet's mother, Patsy Ramsey, in which he gave details of his sexual assault of JonBenet, according to Fox News.

JonBenet was found murdered in the basement of her family's upscale home the day after Christmas, 1996. Her mother, Patsy Ramsey, found a handwritten ransom note on the back staircase of the home, which demanded $118,000 â?? the exact amount the little girl's father, John Ramsey had received as a corporate bonus. Eight hours later, John Ramsey found JonBenet's badly beaten body in the basement of their home.

Patsy Ramsey died in June after a long battle with ovarian cancer."

Archived