BANGKOK GIRL - typical TV documentary coming up..

Chanchao

Have seen it, and it was dissapointing. It basically tells the story of documentary maker Jordan, who, after a holiday in Thailand comes up with the brilliant idea to film this brave new world, only to get sidetracked by this bargirl named Pla, who he believes is different. So instead, the documentary is about her. Pla is your usual Bargirl telling your usual bargirl smalltalk interspersed with shreds of some hard luck story, and I am convinced most of it is B.S. She says she has been working in a bar since 13 (19 now) and off course, has never gone with a men (she does have a nice golden necklace though). Jordan finds she goes 'missing' after a couple of days, only to find out she went with a farang. Big surprise here. They cleverly mix up her story with the drunken ramblings of an obnoxious english teacher, to bring them together in the end. Very manipulative. There endeth the documentary, because our filmer Jordan has to go home. A voice over informs us she's dead, her heart failed, according to the police report.

What Jordan got out of Pla is the same story you can hear from any girl in the course of 30 minutes, it stayed extremely shallow. If this is the best he could get out of a BG over a period from five weeks, I suspect a career change is in order.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years ago, the Silver Dragon in Nana suddenly got an input of new girls. I chatted up one cutie who told me they had come from a cannery in north Bangkok. They got paid 1,500 baht a month, plus board and room there. But at the bar, they could get 7,000 baht a month just to dance around and show everyone their boobs! She told me she didn't go out with customers, but I suspect that didn't last for long. Money was the sole reason for the gals going to work in the bar. When a few did so and told their friends, that started it. She pointed out 7 or 8 other dancers who had come from the cannery.

Oh, yeah. "My mother doesn't know I'm working here." Probably true then, but mom might soon wonder about why her daughter lived so well on just 1,500 baht a month! :dunno:

Well like anything else, these guys know what sells. They can hunt arounduntil they find the story thery want to "document." and a girl willing to tell them what they want to hear. I am sure they are "compensating her for her time."

Sex, exploitation, degredation, sleaze etc...all sell, and sell well. I often wonder how many people watching these and overtly condeming the "awful sex tourist" are really secretly getting off on the idea of it all?

I am sure they are "compensating her for her time."

That is exactly what happened. One of the press releases mention paying her barfine, and I am sure Pla convinced Jordan that her time away from the bar was costing her money, so she has to be reimbursed as well.

I watched this documentary with my wife, and she was complaining about her lack of sincerity. She thought Pla was constantly telling half-truths, half-lies.

I have gotton the same story from spending tons of 1/2 hours withtons of girls... :)

Next time, bring a friend with a camera. I'm sure that would be more interesting than this 'documentary.' :)

BTW, she worked in a bar called checkpoint Charlie, I think. Do you know where it was located? It doesn't exist anymore.

Archived