WARNING! Customs at Suvarnabhumi

llso

...just goes to show how rediculis laws can get...

It ain't the laws, it's the regulations pulled out of the air by a small circle of uninformed, pansie bureaucrats in Washington, DC who are trying to protect their asses at the expense of the travelling public. (Interestingly, these same panies probably don't protect their asses by requiring their "partners" to use condoms.) Okay, edit, Ms. Moderator, but it's true--a bunch of anal dipshits that make up these regulations overnight without proper oversight (until legislators get enough phone calls from pissed-off constituents and visits from industry organizations).

BTW, several years ago, I was about to buy 3 bottles of JW Black on arrival at BKK at the duty free counter. It was on "sale" (which means regular price at most other duty free shops around the world). Counter gal actually informed me that she would sell it to me, but that two of the bottles would be taken away at Thai Customs. I passed on the "sale".

As for U.S. laws, I don't import any bottles on my return trips home. But State laws differ, so what you could import in one state could not be imported in another. For instance, you could bring in a case of liquor into Texas from Mexico, so long as you paid the Federal excise tax on it. If you brought a case into California, all but one bottle would be seized. Seemed that Customs was enforcing CA state law lobbied by the liquor industry.

HH

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

another question , who started the "proof" shit , double the percent number and call it "proof"

OC

Gringo...blame it on the Brits. They were the first (from what I can gather) to tax spirits according to the %age of their alcohol content. They initially used threw a tad of gun powder into a lighted sample of the brew. If the flame was hot enough to ignite the gun powder, there was "proof" that they liquor should be taxed at a higher rate.

The French have a different standard of measurement, with distilled water having a "proof" of 0 and pure alcohol having a "proof" of 100. In the U.S., 100 means 50%. I don't look at liquor labels a whole lot...just consume what's in em. But I think (in the U.S., anyway)that containers must include the %age of alcohol content, rather than the "proof". This is, no doubt, to skirt the problem of different standards of proof used around the world.

HH

I won't be flying into BKK with booze or cigs, but I was planning on bringing quite a lot of other stuff such as an exercise machine (about 30 Kg) propane heater to make hot water in 1 big cardboard box and 1 big nylon mesh bag (like you see being sold all over BKK). What are the chances that I will have a problem with customs? The value of it all is about $800 US. Is there a declaration form to fill out?

I won't be flying into BKK with booze or cigs, but I was planning on bringing quite a lot of other stuff such as an exercise machine (about 30 Kg) propane heater to make hot water in 1 big cardboard box and 1 big nylon mesh bag (like you see being sold all over BKK). What are the chances that I will have a problem with customs? The value of it all is about $800 US. Is there a declaration form to fill out?

it will definitly give them an excuse to mess with you.

be sure to let us know how it goes.

I brought a convection oven ( try and find a decent sized one in bkk) in from usa

got it by because it was labeled 120 vac input ( I did not volenteer I had rewired it for 240)

Close Hugh.

This system dates to the 18th century, and perhaps earlier, when spirits were graded with gunpowder: A solution of water and alcohol "proved" itself when it could be poured on a pinch of gunpowder and the wet powder could still be ignited. If it didn't ignite, the solution had too much water in it and the proof was considered low or "underproof".

A "proven" solution was defined as 100 degrees proof (100°). This has since been found to occur at 57.15% ethanol. This is still used as the British definition. A simpler ratio to remember is 7:4, i.e. 70° proof is 40% alcohol by volume. Thus pure alcohol is approximately 175 degrees proof (175°).

In the definition current in the United States, the proof number is twice the percentage of the alcohol content measured by volume at a temperature of 60 °F (15.5 °C).

Source

Cheers,

LT

Anytime I passed in with a cardboard box, they asked what was in it, seemed happy with the answer, and let it go...any new/more horror stories from the new airport? or have they died out/down?

Agreed!

the thread started with an idiot who brought 1000 cigarettes in a totally stuffed duty free bag. He could have gone with a Nazi Flag to Israel and would have caught the same attention.

I actually never took the Thai customs too serious, once a gay guy wanted to scan my bag right after the baggage claim at Don Muang. He claimed he saw a box and he wanted to know what it is. I told him there was only clothes inside. He said in funny english "i want to see your box" which made giggle of course. I told him there was no box, I looked with him on the screen, asked him where the box is, he was blushing, then I took my bag and walked outside without his permission.

If you have nothing to declare you have nothing to fear. If you bring too many cigarettes and carry them in your hands you are asking for trouble! Alcohol and cigarettes are so cheap in Thailand, it is not worth the risk. Even when Thai Customs are more keen to find something now, if you don't have something to declare they can't make you trouble!

Archived