Can`t read the menue

buffalo_bill

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's interesting. :beer: I have the same problem at Soi 7 beergarden. :banghead: The menu always seems legible and logical and plain as day when I waltz in there at midday for a swift bracer. :clown: But, by about 5PM, I can't make head nor tail of the bastard. :drunk: It's all gobbledegook to me, lads, just a blur of wobbling print awash with meaningless words. As a result, every time I attempt to order another drink from said indecipherable unpronounceable assortment of scrambled hieroglyphics, the bar staff simply look doe-eyed at me and shake their heads forlornly in non-comprehension. And no wonder. (Usually kicks off at about 6PM, that part. :( )

They ignore me after that. :rolleyes:

Anyone else noticed this? Do the bastards secretely swap the menus mid afternoon, just out of sheer devillment? :mad:

It makes me sick. :nono:

jack :help:

i know this may sound somewhat selfish but i live in an area in chiangmai many farangs tourists and expat near night safari, royal flora, airport.I can speak good enough thai to order some of my favorite dishes but on many occasions have been in decent local resturaunts with thai friends where they only have menu in thai,i know i could ask friends to explain the menu for me but never would as dont want to be a pain normanlly just share what evercomes to the table sometimes feel a little frustrated as i think i could be missing out on somthing that would appeal to me and maybe not others.All menus i belive should be in Thai/English unless a total shithole maybe T.O.T should encourage all resturaunts to follw both ways would be happy.

Hi,

I disagree a bit here. We are in Thailand where the national language is Thai. Therefore all menus should have Thai on it for sure I think; having English (or any other language) should be seen as a bonus, not a requirement.

Obviously it would make sense for a restaurant with a large farang clientel to have the menu in English as well, but I cannot see why they should be forced to.

Sanuk!

The law for example in Porugal is that all menues have to in Portuguese and apart from that can then be issued in whatever the restaurant owner thinks is good for him . Dutch , maybe :( . I would hate the idea to enter a place in Berlin and can't understand what they have on offer .

§"µ~ <-"BuBi" in Kisuaheli

are you sure you can always in Berlin?

what does it benefit to know the german transliteration of a exotic dish in a for germany not anymore so exotic restaurant (like turkish, russian, balkan etc.)??? maybe for your own sake you better don't know what is inside!

I took an Ubon girl to Chiangmai for a visit. In a restaurant, there was a menu only in Thai. She couldn't read it because it was written differently than what she as used to. She said people in the North spoke a kind of Thai, which she couldn't understand and the food was different. She was a literate girl and read movie magazines and comic books every day.

Archived