Can`t read the menue

buffalo_bill

There are a lot of Thai people which are not able to read Thai too!

Not really, Mentors.

Thailand has a literacy rate of about 96%.

Quite high compared to many countries.

96%? you got to be kidding!

So many never even went to school and limping thru a comic book does not denote lieracy...IMO.

I have chatted with ump-teen Thais who never went to any school!!! Up north, especially the ladies, the family never sent them to any school, not even 1 year's worth.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have to agree with you Cavanami; still literacy is probably among the higher ones in Asia, except of course Japan, Korea, Singapore, Hongkong, Malaysia. probably literacy is in correlation with GDP per capita???

the 96% figure must then come from thai authorities? :neener:

Hi K.S ,

I did not say they should be forced but encouraged.I also understand and respect that this is Thailand but feel it would be in the intrest of the resturaunt and potential foreign customers as in most other countries in the world with large tourist visitors.When in a Chinese, Italian, French,restraunts in most places the menu will almost certainly be in both languages.I also think it would make things easier for serving staff to who in most cases here in chiangmai struggle with the order,again dont want to sound Ahole but when in a Itailian resturaunt recently and ask for butter the waitress look at my G/F as if i was a lunatic for help in my ridicalous request.

josh ,

if ( though unlikely ) one day in the far distant future your mental possibilities would leave the safe area of barely spellchecking other people's posts towards a bright future of putting something together that has grown on your own ground , then oh Josh , but only then you might come across the surprising fact that there are people around whose native language is not English but something else and that there are , more surprising , people around who use third country's words in their daily speak , for example the french word menue for a piece of paper that tells you what you can eat and the relevant price . In German it is " Speisenkarte " , I have deliberately put a mistake into this word to make sure your next Exxxxxxx comes on time . You just got to find it .

BuBi

Archived