Major Police Presence in Nana this Evening with Dogs

Gadfly

There was a major police presence at Nana hotel this evening. At least half a dozen police cars parked at the entrance to NEP and in the Nana hotel parking lot, many police officers and several obviously senior police officials present. At least two K-9 units showed up with dogs.

The focus seemed to be Nana hotel, but I saw several guys that looked liked plainsclothes officers walking around the plaza. They weren't trying to disugise who they were (talking in walkie talkies) and they looked more, no other way to say this, serious than other MiBs I have seen around NEP. Athough they didn't at all seemed focused on the girls, in one bar I saw several girls immediately exit stage right.

Anyone know what this about. I doubt that this was any kind of crackdown. The bars continued to operate, but the BGs were clearly very nervous.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess one option would be an anonymous threat but if that was the case why wouldn't they evacuate the area. Surely they're not that.....ummm stupid.

Sometimes it can be more dangerous to evacuate, you have to act upon the intelligence you have. n

I guess one option would be an anonymous threat but if that was the case why wouldn't they evacuate the area. Surely they're not that.....ummm stupid.

55555555555! I remember a few years back, just after they foiled the bomb plot at the Israeli embassy. Well, the police lucked out cuz the bomb truck driver got stuck in traffic and was nervous so he ran away leaving the truck in traffic, but that's another story.

Anyway, I was in Big Dogs one afternoon with a famous member of this and other Thai boards and we noticed a duffel bag sitting in the corner. We were pretty sure that some English teacher looking farang left it, but even so, the mama-san was alerted. She rang the police and quietly moved the girls to the other side of the room (but said nothing to the punters there :doah:).

A couple of officers showed up and inspected the bag, if by inspecting you mean looking at if from a couple of meters away and frowning at it a lot. Finally a couple of regular proles came in. The officers told one of them to check it out. He goes over and unzips it. Luckily it was nothing but a change of clothes and some books, not a bomb. :doah: But what if it were a bomb?

And yes, I count myself and and drinking buddy in that stupid list (even tho' we were reasonably sure it was an innocent bag). But the Keystone Kops show was so damn funny, we just had to stay.

Cheers,

SD

This is the option that occurred to me. I was hoping someone else was there last night and had more information than me. All of this happened, I'd say, between 8 pm and 9:30 pm.

This largest group of MiB I have seen in the Nana area. It was a small army of police. They didn't at all seem interested in checking on what the girls were wearing to taking, but they were clearly also running a check on NEP even though the focus appeared to be the hotel.

The plain clothes guys were easy to spot; they weren't making any effort to conceal their identity, but they weren't strutting around either. They were acting, well, very serious and very directed - like they were looking for something.

I ended the night early in NEP early (actually changed venues), and never figured out what this was about. But curious. Anybody with more news?

okay, that explains it. I got a call from a girl whose friend, who works at Nana, insisted that a bomb had gone off at the convenience store near the NEP entrance and the place was swarming with cops. I dismissed the story as BG rumor since nothing appeared on the local thai news or web. seems at least the second part of the story (area swarming with police) was correct...

probably unrelated, but does anyone know why Morning NIght was closed night before last? and was it closed last night as well?

preahko

Archived