Gold shop Suk area

buffalo_bill

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
any of the Chinatown - type gold shops at Sukhumvit or near . ... Looking for the kind of place where they sell necklaces for the Thai citizen.

Good question.

And I have an auxiliary question to that.

Once you go in to the shop to buy something, how can you tell if they are cheating you, or not?

Are you getting fair weight?

Are you getting honest quality?

Yes, yes, I know about "baht" weight (0.47 oz per baht) and "baht" fineness (variously specified as 965, 990, or 995 depending on where you look on the web).

That's not the question.

The question is: How can the buyer, a "farang", going to a retail gold shop, know if he is getting honest value or getting cheated?

I have no facts on gold shops in particular, but I have lots of first-hand experience with other Chinese-Thai retail businesses here in Bangkok.

When I've been intentionally cheated, or mislead, it's been at Chinese-Thai shops.

Gold shops are all Chinese-Thai owned.

I think significant risk for gold shops here to cheat farang.

Is there any way to reduce that risk?

Maybe not.

Side note:

Politically correct readers here may be tempted to start an inquisition to discover if I am racist?

Let me save you the trouble: I am.

So much so that I don't even trust Caucasians.

Very well Khun zeelo foh ,

my personal experience with Thai/Chinese retail events is so far limited to antique shops and places where they sell precious stones . Both being areas I do not understand too much about , precious stones absolutely nothing . Results so far: the stones I bought have been creating praise over here in Germany when presented to people who transform them into something that the ladies like . Antique furniture is something you do not find in a government pricelist , I still admire the pieces I could find , actually sitting at one of them as I type this . Conclusion : I am happy with what I have selected and consequently with the people that have sold it to me .

A cheater is somebody who takes your money in exchange for something that is worth less . In case of the China shops they would have to sell you material of lower quality , would they do that ? I'll ask Nok .

Personally , I give a damn by the way .

BuBi

Hope to see you next week , keep in touch .

ANy reputable gold shop will have the trading prices in the window. AVOID ANY THAT DON'T. In a place like Yaowarat, the shops will all have the same price. So you pay the same price per Bhat (15.16Grams/Bht weight). Anything you buy will be weighed in front of you, and they should show you the weight, sometimes you have to ask. You will then get a receipt with the weight and purity on it, and the price. I have bought tons of gold in Yaowarat (mostly from the same shop) and a few Bhat from The shop at Soi 10 (which has I believe a branch in Yaowarat) And never had a problem with weight, or with resale/trade in later on.

Each item is proof marked, and they will check it, in some cases show it to you, and this is how they/you know it comes from a reputable place. As for MBK...I have found that in many shops there, the Bhat weight price is slightly higher than the outside gold shops. SOmetimes the MBK shops have a better style selection...

I frankly think it is worth a trip to Yaowarat Road to buy gold, maybe 80bht or so Taxi each way from Sukhumvit. And the prices/quality/selection is all good. After gold buying, you can look around and have a good lunch at anyone a a zillion places.

Here is the shop I usually deal with...Call Hua Heng Seng Or something, Leave the White orchid Hotel, Make a right as you exit, walk up 1-200 meters, on the right next to a 7-11 (this shop was closed for remodeling, think it reopened) and directly across the street on the left, next to a bank is their other branch...they also have more branches a block away...

DSCN0405a.jpg

DSCN0404a.jpg

This/these are maybe the most popular shops there. Almost always the recomended place.

Here is a good noodle house to eat at...

f24f53c2.jpg

The Shop on SOi 10 is also o.k. In fact I bought gold there, which I later traded in Yaowarat, with no hassle. Sorry, no photos... :(

Thank you, Old Hippie, for taking the time to post those photos.

For anyone going to that shop, those photos would be most useful.

And good duck noodles, besides.

But ...

Old Hippie advises us to trust a certain shop because he trusts that shop.

Hmmm ...

So how much do I trust Old Hippie?

I'm still at a loss.

You go into some gold shop.

Certainly, with the buy/sell numbers clearly posted in the window.

And, of course, where they show you some hallmark or other, which may or may not have any meaning.

Still, how do you reduce the risk that they are selling less than you are paying for?

I can look at their weighing scales, or, even, I suppose, bring my own.

So, I get full weight, but, full weight of what?

Is the gold the correct fineness?

Or is it "watered down"? (Sorry, I don't know technical terms in this area.)

Of course, I would begin negotiations by firmly declaring, "Old Hippie, he friend me."

Besides that, what else can one do to reduce the risk when buying gold?

Anything?

Or just cross fingers and hope for the best?

Archived