All they have on their minds is money?

thalenoi

When I first visited the USA I was baffled by how they relate everything to dollars: this building costed x million, this car costs xxk dollar etc.

It must be an education thing.

Money was never central in my European education.

I was teached many values and money was not part of these.

Now it seems to me Thais are like americans, money comes always first: this car, how much? This house, how much?

In relationships money also shows up all the time.

Just today, after she cleaned the car: you should give me 120 baht; what the heck! i got upset without reacting.

Then 1 hour later after having cleaned the house: This is worth 3k baht a month.

Now I got pissed off and we don't talk since....

Then she tells me it's just a joke, yeah...

What are their priorities? :cussing:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is gonna be a lame answer but each girl is going to be different. I have been with girls that only care about making baht and I have been with just the opposite. As I sit here typing this, I am currently with a girl who just gave me a wad of money cuz my bank in the U.S is slow in transferring my funds.

Poor answer but YMMV with all girls, it just matters what kind of mood they are in at that particular time.

Money is however a fundemental part of Thai identity....if you have a lot then you supposedly look good, or at least better than others....FACE!

I was taught money doesn't make you happy...my family is living proof of that, however many people just don't 'get it'....money is a temporary fix, that's all.

Thalenoi, i think your lady was just joking...i've heard the same from many and used the same 'humour' against Thais on numerous occasions...yeah, it's a lame attempt at humour, but i never claimed i wasn't lame :beer:

Worse part is most Thais to do not seem to know what is real money and money borrowed.

One more thing which is the same for americans.

IMO the poorer thais are by necessity money oriented and almost all BGs are coming from that group.

Middle and upper classes don't have to worry about money and have a more european attitude.

I think money is linked to the survival instinct for Thais. When there is the threat of living on the bread line I think it is natural to think abouty money.

I have alot of respect for the Thais. I mean in the UK you get people complaining about the immigrants even though they are getting paid half as much in many cases as the natives.

I would nt like ti imagine the reaction if immigrants were coming in and getting paid more than the natives.

Essentially this is what happens in Thailand. Farang teachers come in and get paid twice as much as a thai teacher who has been at the school for 20 years.

Yes, Only Americans and Thais find money important...bullshit...big differences in Thai/Asian society, the USA society, and Europe...hence, money takes a different role/importance in many places...but it is still #1 in most places, whether you want to admit it or not...

Shit, money is the root of all evil.

Worse part is most Thais to do not seem to know what is real money and money borrowed.

For a Thai: money borrowed = money that never has to be repaid.

Almost like stealing but then again, they were "given" the money, so they didn't "steal" the money!

Archived