Stomach Shrinking

scott808

I skip rope as part of Muay Thai, great exercise, but I recomend he used good shoes and a floor pad as well, other wise, bad knees, ankles and hips will result, my doctor advises against running...

Phil and all,

WAnt real exercise/training? check out the book and DVD "Training for Warriors" by Martain Roney This guy is a serious dude!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

advises specificly you dont run or generally?.....sitting on your arse can be harmful to health as much as running, i'll risk running, if done sensibly, lower milage but high intesnity as u can muster better than training for a marathon which has big inpact on joints/knees etc

Guest lazyphil

looks like a good read, just googled, end of the month looming, payday, might treat myself!....excuse me though, my training is real!

There is an elevated walkway that goes from Lumpini Park to the Queen Sirikit park. You can also exit and do some laps in the Tobacco Monopoly. It is always empty and I have done it in all hours of the night and never had a problem with danger. If you are hesitant becuase of the traffic this is your answer.

I love to run in Bangkok. I don't mind the uneven curbs, broken sidewalk, or even the traffic. The heat is what gets me, but then you can always hit a 7-11 for some aircon and water and then walk if I have to.

Also I run SUPERSLOW. I mix it up with some Muay Thai and I have a great dumbell workout that I am willing to share with anyone who wants a comprehensive program that hits all muscle groups.

Doctor advised against running as he feels it is bad for most people's Knees..."...the older you get..."

The training in the referenced materials is very new and innovative, and gets results, geared towards MMA ttype fighters, but it crosses over, good stuff.

Walking is just as good as running

This is yet another myth. The whole concept of staying in the so called "fat burning zone" heart rate burns the most fat is not true. The fact is the higher the intensity, the more fat is burned. Read this or other references.

I am a cardio freak. I push up in the 200 bpm's. Love nothing more than a stress test at the hospital because they pull the plug everytime when I power right past theoretical max and am not even breathing hard.

The new consensus is that Sprint intervals are really the way to go...30 second sprints all out, then 30 second weight training, repeat for varying sets/intervals...it does seem to work.

Also, 30 second sprints on say a treadmill followed by an interval on a different machine is also very popular now.

Do you work sprints into your training? or just a sustained burn? (pace?)

Fitness goal posts are always changing a little and people have different goals so there are no absolutes. I am sold on the benefits of interval training and resistance training, but I don't mix the two. Consensus is weights in the same session as cardio is a no-no. The thought is cardio depletes oxygen in your body. When you do weights, you want lots of oxygen in your muscles.

But the concept you outline seems somewhat new and perhaps may be validated either for specific results or even wider. It sounds useful for MMA training as you train your body to put out strength and stamina at once.

Variety in routines is considered good because your body will elevate more for it versus getting conditioned to a very routine thing. I'll swim, do stairs, or cardio machines on my cardio days though haven't interleaved them on the same day which sounds like a good idea though a bit inconvenient.

A trainer I worked with a few years back (when I dropped 80 Pounds in less than a year) had me doing 30 minutes of cardio a day, and weights 6 days a week. Lower body one day, upper another day.

One of the Muay Thai trainers I work with now, believes in a mix. This guy Martin Rooney seems to combine the 2...the results seem to speak for them selves, but I would argue most people don't have the time to put that kind of effort into a work out then go and work a regular job.

The fighters at our gym (some of them noted UFC competitors) Are moving more to the mixed system I mentioned. Oddly, some still have the fat deposit/problem areas on them, despite being in primo shape...

Archived