Yank shoots Brit dead in Hua Hin

Fidel

Cricket bat... lol! so british! would take the bat over the gunshot anyday though... and spend convalescene watching again "layer cake" and old Monty Python...

Not coming from a cricket-playing nation I guess you've never seen the result of someone whacked over the head with a cricket bat at full-force.

I've seen someone smashed over the head accidentally with a cricket bat and that was messy (and bloody) enough.

At full-force on someone's head, the head's going to split open like an over-ripe watermelon.

Me, I'd take the gunshot.

Better to die instantly than be brain-damaged and retarted for the rest of your "life".

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what teddy was saying and I agree is:

This dispute might have ended in a few cuts and bruises, maybe even a broken bone or two. Perhaps charges could have been laid, fines imposed and justice run its course.

But there was a gun, and a trigger is [color:red]so easy[/color] to pull especially when you're angry and pissed.

As a result:

One man dead.

Two children without a father.

One man 500,000 baht poorer if he does a runner.

If he does a runner to the states, heâ??ll possibly be pursued through British courts for extradition.

One man perhaps behind bars for years if he doesnâ??t do a runner

One Thai wife will have lost her partner.

Two familiesâ?? retirement dreams in LOS shattered.

â?¦ all because there was a gun!

Yes, I know a baseball bat can be lethal too, but chances are the two blokes next day would have been nursing injured bodies, injured pride and hangovers.

Instead, it's one man's life snuffed out, and the other man's life in tatters. Itâ??s a no win for everyone.

:beer:

So who has a baseball bat in Thailand? Lots of kitchen knives and meat cleavers though. Would you feel better if he'd stabbed the guy?

:dunno:

p.s. I remember my wife's grandfather's sword hanging in her home in Chiang Rai, from back in the days when folks still travelled armed in the countryside. No baseball bat in sight though.

>>So who has a baseball bat in Thailand?

â?¦ pedantic

>> Would you feel better if he'd stabbed the guy?

â?¦ if it meant the Englishman was alive today, and the American facing a lesser charge â?? yes.

I would have preferred it if heâ??d kept nothing more dangerous than a lump of wood in his bedroom. I bet the accused American wished that too now.

The history of weaponry has roughly progressed from sticks and stones, to sharp metal objects, to firearms and bombs. Because each one is a faster and more efficient killing/maiming machine than the previous. I think thatâ??s what Mssrs Remington, Maxim and Gatling possibly had in mind at any rate.

I know the gun lobby mantra is "It's not guns that kill; it's people". No country has a premium on common sense. Australia, UK, USA all have the same percentage of fuckwits per capita.

Itâ??s the combination of booze + quick temper + fuckwit + gun that makes it so deadly and irreversible. But if you take the gun out of the equation, you have a â??better chanceâ? of a less tragic result for all parties.

BTW, the Thai wifeâ??s woes may not be limited to losing a partner. Did she have a licence for the .22?

:beer:

You need one now? Upcountry folks used to keep rifles without any problem. I remember one of my bro-in-laws had one he used for hunting.

A licence for a pistol has always been very hard to get, which means most of them in non-police hands are illegal. Plenty of them around though - and easy to get on the black market. (So are hand grenades!)

When I taught upcountry, one of my colleagues took a homemade pistol off of a student. It fired a .225 mm cartridge, the same used in an M-16.

Of course, this murder was in Hua Hin ... not exactly in the rural countryside by any standards.

ExTW had a pistol with license in BKK (now in her hometown in the south), just did the same as the did with getting the DL, went to see her friend the female police sergeant, paid 300 and got the papers. Many of her friends also have pistols with licenses.

BTW I don't believe it was a rifle, a pistol is much more probable.

Archived