Yank shoots Brit dead in Hua Hin

Fidel

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I agree KH, in America no one seems to take gun crime very seriously."

What? :dunno:

In many of the States in the USA, some gun crimes carry a sentence of capital punishment. I didn't know :neener: that your home countries' laws on gun crime are that much tougher? :yeahthat:

But then, we probably wouldn't be having this debate if the 'Americans' didn't show up with their weapons during WWII, now would we?

On the evening of May 15, Martin Connolly, a British friend of mine of several years was shot and killed in Hua Hin. He was on a 2 week holiday after buying a condo in the Palm Hills Golf and Country Club and three days away from returning to his job in the UAE as Quality Manager for Foster Wheeler on a $1.4 billion gas project. I was going to pick him up at the airport and drive back to the camp where we both live.

I don't know the circumstances of the murder, but I did know Martin fairly well after several years of working with him abroad and also from the fact we both living in Thailand during the last decade.

Martin spent about 6 weeks in Thailand during the past year because mostly he was working in Paris and spending time with his two teenage children in the UK. That was important to him because he had not spent as much time with them as he wanted.

This last trip to Thailand would have been his last for a while because he was going to spend his next two rotational leaves in the UK, so during the end of summer and around the time before Christmas, he would have the most time with him children.

He was making money hand over fist due to the upward spiral of wages in the oil and gas industry the last few years. He had worked hard in Algeria, Egypt, Paris and now the UAE and he was closing in on a retirement plan. This is why he bought the condo.

He moved from Pattaya where he lived for 9 years to Hua Hin because he didn't like the way Pattaya had developed in the last few years and Hua Hin seemed quieter and safer.

He started taking golf lessons in the UAE and was not too good at it. It found it very fustrating, but he had only done four of the six lessons he bought when he was killed.

He was a interesting guy, always willing to share a cup of tea or a beer and talk shop, talk motorcycles, talk about his kids, talk about women, or talk about just about anything you wanted to talk about.

He was British, so he had a caustic sense of humor and sometimes I did nto always understand his jokes. He did not hestiate to say something that he thought. He could get angry, maybe pissed off is a better way to put it, and I never saw any indication that he would every do anything violent.

So how did Martin get killed? I don't know and I don't understand it.

If Martin was in somebody's house it was because he was invited. He was that kind of guy, somebody that meets people wherever he goes.

Was Martin trying to force somebody to sell him a business? Rediculous! His mind was on his kids, his retirement, and that stupid game with a little white ball.

It is too bad that people who did not know Martin and who know as little about how he died can pass out such garbage as "what they heard."

You missed a chance to know a good guy.

Mike Maggi

Archived